Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 07:41 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,093,868 times

Advertisements

I don't think anyone should be abused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 07:50 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,123,212 times
i like sales people.
merry christmas

Old 12-25-2011, 09:24 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,989,538 times
Default Me too, but many firms seem to thrive with more "enlightened" practices / personel ...

There are lots of retail businesses that spend quite a bit of time and money training their employees to truly add value to the selling / shopping experience.
I don't think I have ever encountered pushy sales people at The Container Store or the Apple Store. Similarly even though I know they make a commission at nicer department stores like VonMaur and Nordstroms I never leave feeling that I've pressured into buying anything -- if they don't have clothes that I think look good on me / represent a good value I leave and feel good coming back when they have different merchandise / clearance prices.

I did some of my Holiday shopping this year with good "bricks & mortar" retailers as well as online merchants that do not "spam" me with non-stop email advertising.

I hope that the firms with less effective practices will eventually either be bought out by better firms or at least try to model their behavior on the market leaders.

I feel bad for folks that have no alternative to working for firms that give their employees no incentive for treating customers well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i like sales people.
merry christmas

Old 12-25-2011, 12:54 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,056,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't think anyone should be abused.
That is correct. it's not an easy job at all to have to sell.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:15 PM

379 posts, read 1,399,031 times
I'm with most of the people here who think that sales should be focused around the customer's need for product or service rather than the salesperson having to push a sale on the customer.

If I walk into a store and my goal is to first look around in order to find what I have in mind, then I should be left alone until I'm ready to purchase. No need for someone to creepily hover over my shoulder the entire time that I'm in the store while I shop. This goes for any kind of sales, retail, corporate, etc.. There's no need for a person to ever push anything on someone else.

I don't know what it's like these days with how salespeople are paid but I've encountered salespeople getting paid either through commission or a flat-low-wage. Personally, I think that salespeople should not have to work for a commission as I have always felt what I have just mentioned when a person makes a commission off a sale. That is it seems that a commissioned salesperson's goal is not to satisfy the need of the customer but simply to sell something regardless in order for them to collect a paycheck at the end of the day, of course who doesn't want to collect a paycheck at the end of the day right?. I think that a salesperson should be making a standard wage but also be well paid. I think that every person should be well paid regardless of job title.

Of course doing this would call for a shift in business practices across the board and not anything that most people will easily accept, hopefully one day....

Old 12-25-2011, 05:35 PM

723 posts, read 2,188,059 times
Sorry but your post doesn't make me feel sympathetic towards sales people. Sales people bring in the dollars and sell the product, but they don't do it alone:
Without the product engineers , the sellers wouldnt have anything to sell.
Without the IT department, there would be no Internet or phone connectivity
Without the admin staff, who would admin benefits, bill clients , manage the building
etc
Sales folks are but one part of the equation. Any manager/CEO who puts a specific business unit on a pedestal will get low performance from the others and slow the whole ship down.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:58 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,482,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
Sorry but your post doesn't make me feel sympathetic towards sales people. Sales people bring in the dollars and sell the product, but they don't do it alone:
Without the admin staff, who would admin benefits, bill clients , manage the building
etc
Sales folks are but one part of the equation. Any manager/CEO who puts a specific business unit on a pedestal will get low performance from the others and slow the whole ship down.
True, but you are missing the point. The It department, engineers,admin,etc. don`t get abuse like sales people. That`s the point. The people who look down on sales people such as egineers,HR, It, factory workers,cashiers,etc. don`t realize their livelhood depends on the very sales people that they don`t like. That is the point of the OP.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:23 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,009,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
etc
I agree entirely that there is synergy and all are parts of a whole team. The point isn't that the other units have no value, it's that sales is looked down on considerably more than the other professions.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:26 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,009,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
True, but you are missing the point. The It department, engineers,admin,etc. don`t get abuse like sales people. That`s the point. The people who look down on sales people such as egineers,HR, It, factory workers,cashiers,etc. don`t realize their livelhood depends on the very sales people that they don`t like. That is the point of the OP.
And Bingo, we have a winner. The point was never that it's fun to be sold to (hell, I'm on the Do Not Call List too). The point is that from a professional standpoint, one specific profession is looked down on by many others that rely on it for their own livelihoods, however indirectly.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:22 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,960,665 times
Well I try to be nice to salespeople because I took a sales job many years ago and the pressure to "sale" at all cost was unbearable to me so I quit. I found out first hand what a lot of salespeople have to put up with from their boss and its often the higher ups who could care less about the consumer but the $$$$. I always get educated before hand so the salesmen is aware I know my stuff and that usually cuts out most of the bs. Now I'm viewed as someone who is serious about doing business and the salesmen knows he can either make the sale or someone else will. So making sure I'm happy would greatly be in his/her best interest.

I'm also big on service. Don't just treat me like a VIP to get the sale then throw me out the bath water once the sale is complete. The majority of business is done by referral and I will only refer those who were great from start to finish and not just great until the deal was closed. I have come in contact with salesmen who were beyond horrible to interact with and it didn't matter what they had, I simply refused to do business with them and always found better somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment