U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-28-2011, 12:26 PM
 
996 posts, read 1,391,925 times
Reputation: 1136

Advertisements

What are the employment prospects like for a man that has a background in electrical and mechanical work along with an associate's degree in Electromechanical Technology?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-28-2011, 12:35 PM
 
9,792 posts, read 17,015,443 times
Reputation: 18459
Part of the answer depends on if you are located in a job market that requires those skills, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2011, 02:22 PM
 
996 posts, read 1,391,925 times
Reputation: 1136
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Part of the answer depends on if you are located in a job market that requires those skills, correct?
Well, I am not adverse to traveling anywhere to get a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2011, 03:54 PM
 
12,309 posts, read 15,218,697 times
Reputation: 8117
Start in Williston ND.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2011, 04:03 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
12,677 posts, read 14,031,451 times
Reputation: 13505
Experience level and current location are the biggest factor. Depends a lot on how relevant the skills possessed are to the current job market. My father has 30 years experience in electrical engineering, but has been out of work for 5 years. Those 5 years mean a lot, and he is located in an area dependent on the strength of the big 3 automakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2011, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Arkansas
1,230 posts, read 2,842,459 times
Reputation: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
What are the employment prospects like for a man that has a background in electrical and mechanical work along with an associate's degree in Electromechanical Technology?

I would say it depends on your location or your willingness to travel. It also depends strongly on if you are licensed. In a lot of states you will not be able to work without a license (if you are looking at going into the Electrical field that is)

Another thing that has helped my husband stay busy (he is a electrician, licensed in multiple states with a background in industrial and commercial electrical) is that he has taken classes and earned certifications in fiber optics and data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2011, 04:32 PM
 
996 posts, read 1,391,925 times
Reputation: 1136
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
I would say it depends on your location or your willingness to travel. It also depends strongly on if you are licensed. In a lot of states you will not be able to work without a license (if you are looking at going into the Electrical field that is)

Another thing that has helped my husband stay busy (he is a electrician, licensed in multiple states with a background in industrial and commercial electrical) is that he has taken classes and earned certifications in fiber optics and data.
I am not licensed and nor do I have the money to afford to go to more classes. And quite frankly, I am tired of classes at this point. I think the fact that I have a degree in the field should suffice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Arkansas
1,230 posts, read 2,842,459 times
Reputation: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
I am not licensed and nor do I have the money to afford to go to more classes. And quite frankly, I am tired of classes at this point. I think the fact that I have a degree in the field should suffice.

If you are trying to be an Electrician unfortunately it probably wont suffice. As I said before most states do require Electrician's to be licensed and in order to be licensed there are schooling (with a trade school that is specifically for Electrician's) and on the job training requirements that must be met before you can attempt to get a license. You could always check with your state's labor department regarding what their requirements are.

Maybe you can use your mechanical knowledge for something other than electrical? You might be able to find something in maintenance but there again if it is electrical maintenance most states require a license.

Last edited by sherrenee; 12-29-2011 at 10:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 01:23 PM
 
996 posts, read 1,391,925 times
Reputation: 1136
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
If you are trying to be an Electrician unfortunately it probably wont suffice. As I said before most states do require Electrician's to be licensed and in order to be licensed there are schooling (with a trade school that is specifically for Electrician's) and on the job training requirements that must be met before you can attempt to get a license. You could always check with your state's labor department regarding what their requirements are.

Maybe you can use your mechanical knowledge for something other than electrical? You might be able to find something in maintenance but there again if it is electrical maintenance most states require a license.
Well, that is a concern of mine, then. I have a two-year degree and electrical work experience. How would that work towards getting a license? I would be pretty miffed if I had to go for a full-term apprenticeship with my experience and degree since it would essentially make it useless.

Last edited by BadJuju; 12-29-2011 at 01:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 03:23 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
10,238 posts, read 18,767,214 times
Reputation: 10164
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
I would be pretty miffed if I had to go for a full-term apprenticeship with my experience and degree since it would essentially make it useless.
We had a guy with an engineering degree from the University of Illinois at Urbana go through the apprenticeship program in my trade, boilermaking. 4 years in the apprenticeship, a few years with the tools and now he's running big jobs for a national contractor and making very serious dough. He wasn't miffed, he put his nose to the grindstone and did what needed doing. Of course he has brains, talent and ambition as well as firm resolve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top