Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 03:02 PM

921 posts, read 1,095,656 times

Advertisements

Ok, what is the best source (website etc) to find out what the industry is paying for given job position or to determine what is your own market "value", based on the position, years of experience etc.
I tried few websites (Glasdoor.com, salary.com, indeed.com...) but the results I am getting are all over the place.
For the same job the average payment vary by $20k-$30k on these websites. It just doesn't make any sense.
Do you know what tools employers are using to determine how much industry is paying?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 04:40 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete MUFC View Post
Ok, what is the best source (website etc) to find out what the industry is paying for given job position or to determine what is your own market "value", based on the position, years of experience etc.
I tried few websites (Glasdoor.com, salary.com, indeed.com...) but the results I am getting are all over the place.
For the same job the average payment vary by $20k-$30k on these websites. It just doesn't make any sense.
Do you know what tools employers are using to determine how much industry is paying?
Thanks in advance.
It doesn't make sense because wages vary by the cost of living in different regions. Try typing in Wages for (insert occupation here) in (insert state or region here) and you may find something more specific to where you live.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
It doesn't make sense because wages vary by the cost of living in different regions. Try typing in Wages for (insert occupation here) in (insert state or region here) and you may find something more specific to where you live.
It doesn't make sense after trying exactly what you are suggesting, thats what I am saying. I was only using my zip code. I thought there may be some website that is "official" that companies are using it, but oh well....

Old 12-29-2011, 05:19 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
The best you can hope for is ballpark.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
It doesn't make sense after trying exactly what you are suggesting, thats what I am saying. I was only using my zip code. I thought there may be some website that is "official" that companies are using it, but oh well....
Variables would also be there for wage commensurate with experience and education. You might be seeing the highs and lows of the field and who you work for - say a small buiness vs. a major corporation and things of that nature..

Old 12-29-2011, 06:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
This is a case where anecdotal evidence from members will probably give the most realistic results. Just describe the job and duties and the city and others can tell what people they know make in the same area. When they give national averages it won't help because it can be $100,000 difference between San Francisco and Boise. Also, I would not be surprised to find $20-30k differences in one area. Pay surveys can include newbies on up to 30 year people, and the same job may be far more critical for one employer than another so there will always be a range.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This is a case where anecdotal evidence from members will probably give the most realistic results. Just describe the job and duties and the city and others can tell what people they know make in the same area. When they give national averages it won't help because it can be $100,000 difference between San Francisco and Boise. Also, I would not be surprised to find $20-30k differences in one area. Pay surveys can include newbies on up to 30 year people, and the same job may be far more critical for one employer than another so there will always be a range.

Position: Contract Administrator

City: Chicago

Last edited by Pete MUFC; 12-30-2011 at 08:03 AM..

Old 12-30-2011, 07:51 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
There is no ONE website that will give you a magic number. You need to put in a little effort yourself.

Start with the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Their figure usually represents the industry average--across all levels of experience, costs of living, etc. So the number they give represents someone with ~20 years of experience living in, say, Kansas City. If you have only 5 years of experience, do the math to reduce that figure by ~30%, then adjust for cost of living.

Another source is your alumni association or university career center, which usually keeps stats on their alumni, for at least a few years after graduation.

You can scan job boards for those few jobs that list a salary range. You may need to do math again to convert for years of experience or cost of living. Glassdoor is another source. Various websites like salary.com may be useful but do not use them alone--they overgeneralize job descriptions which usually results in inflated figures.

As for what websites employers use--they don't. Employers base their salaries on two things: 1) what they can afford to pay; and 2)what applicants tell them what they want to earn. Remember most employers receive dozens of applications a week, even when they aren't hiring. So they have a plethora of data telling them what the market demands. They don't need to use a website to figure out what to offer applicants and employees.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Position: Contract Administrator

City: Chicago
I think if you want some help with this you need to be a bit more specific. Do you want to work in the public or private sector? If the private sector, what kind of business or industry would hire one? Just what is a Contract Administrator and what do they do? That's just a title not a job description. I was a Market Developer and that title doesn't really indicate what I really did.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:45 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,239 times
Give them a range and negotiate from there. When I took this most recent job, I had a few ideas going in. 1) I knew what I was making at my last company and I wanted to make more, 2) the new job required more regular duties, 3) I knew what a lot of my peers were making doing similar work.

So I gave this company a range for what I wanted to make AND what I thought was reasonable compensation. They came back with a figure on the lower-middle end of my range, so I negotiated with them and had the salary bumped up. It wasn't by much, but it was significantly better than what I was making 1 year before, or even 3 years before when I first started working after college. My salary has increased by about 50% over the last 3.5 years. That is how you play the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment