U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 06:09 AM

511 posts, read 849,361 times
Default Anyone rehired after being FIRED for cause?

A man came in for an interview at my employer and filled out an employment application. Under the reason for leaving his last job, of four years, he put FIRED for cause. The hiring manager asked him for more information and the man gave a good explanation of why he was fired and I though showed some great judgment to show what he learned from his mistake and promised to never do that again.

After the interview we all discussed the candidate. (I was part of the interview panel) The recruiter and hiring manager were quick to dismiss him out of hand as "damaged goods." They said in today's economy we can't take a chance on someone with all that baggage and there is no reason to hire someone who was fired from their last job. I tried to defend the poor guy- but my comments were ignored.

If you are a hiring manager would you hire someone who was fired for cause if there were other strong candidates? If you are a worker, have you ever been fired for cause and still got rehired, if so how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 07:02 AM

4,129 posts, read 3,848,096 times
We would almost certainly pass on him, especially if there were other good candidates. We hired a guy who was fired before. He stated that he was simply not a good fit for his previous employer. Knowing something about his previous employer (and conducting a pretty good background check), we believed that the termination probably was a result of not being a good fit for them, but that he would probably be a good fit for us. We hired him and he did well. We have fired some people and I know they have been hired elsewhere, but that was a number of years ago.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:07 AM

4,806 posts, read 10,883,273 times
people get fired for cause all the time and of course they get new jobs eventually. its not the end of the world although it may feel like it.

lots of people lie about the reasons for leaving too--you may have hired someone who was previously fired and don' even realize it.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:08 AM

17,580 posts, read 18,148,870 times
I guess some of it would depend on the specifics of what he did to get fired. But I would certaily say if two candidates were equal and this person was one of them we would most likely go with the other candidate.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:05 PM

78 posts, read 130,751 times
Most everyone that works for me has been rehired after being fired or quit. I give em a 2nd chance if they want it. I prefer to hire folks that I know over guys that may have problems. But I make it clear I will not do it again and I will never rehire if they file for unemployment or a wage claim.

Also I will never hire anyone that has been on unemployment for an extended time because nobody that is any good in my trade goes unemployed for long.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:48 PM

2,105 posts, read 2,102,836 times
LOTS and LOTS of people get fired. At every job I've worked at, I have seen a few people get fired. They aren't all evil, bad people either. Sometimes people just don't work out.

Should they all end up on food stamps/welfare because they can't find any other job? No, and I'm damned glad they are hired by someone else because I know every day there is a chance it could happen to me or someone in my family. What if I were to screw up real badly (it happens) or rub my boss the wrong way and get canned?

Old 01-04-2012, 05:30 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,033,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
A man came in for an interview at my employer and filled out an employment application. Under the reason for leaving his last job, of four years, he put FIRED for cause. The hiring manager asked him for more information and the man gave a good explanation of why he was fired and I though showed some great judgment to show what he learned from his mistake and promised to never do that again.

After the interview we all discussed the candidate. (I was part of the interview panel) The recruiter and hiring manager were quick to dismiss him out of hand as "damaged goods." They said in today's economy we can't take a chance on someone with all that baggage and there is no reason to hire someone who was fired from their last job. I tried to defend the poor guy- but my comments were ignored.

If you are a hiring manager would you hire someone who was fired for cause if there were other strong candidates? If you are a worker, have you ever been fired for cause and still got rehired, if so how?
Fired "for cause" ussually means stealing and things of that nature versus not meeting sales quotas or just being a poor fit. So I'd say in most places being fired wasn't a deal breaker but for a serious misconduct it was.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:47 AM

511 posts, read 849,361 times
Fired for cause in his case meant not showing up for work, lateness, lots of sick leave use, not following directions, etc.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:07 AM

4,932 posts, read 4,322,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Fired for cause in his case meant not showing up for work, lateness, lots of sick leave use, not following directions, etc.
What was his explanation for doing it?

Old 01-04-2012, 08:02 AM

3,738 posts, read 3,950,411 times
Never admit to being fired for cause. Say something like laid off, moved to be closer to family etc...

Whenever politicians quit or decline to run they often give some generic excuse like I want to spend more time with family and not it is about to break that I sexually harassed 12 staffers, am under investigation by multiple federal law enforcement agencies for fraud...

Whenever CEO's quit it is usually some platitude that the company is headed in a different direction or there were philosophical differences...

Most corporations will not say fired. They will just give dates of employment and title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment