Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 09:39 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times

Advertisements

Regarding a career one can love, do keep in mind that the perfect can be the enemy of the good. Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 11:16 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times
unless u r incredibly talented at something u love or have some unique love for a traditional type job that whole "find a career doing something u love" mantra went out the window a very long time ago and most that stuck to that path are huddling around in unemployment offices looking for work

Old 01-06-2012, 11:26 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
As a global economy, we're in a long term decline. There's less of the pie to go around, and more people snatching for a slice of it. I wish I were more positive, but dislocations like this one are tough as heck on us all.

My personal opinion: get the stars out of your eyes. You're being paid to perform a service, not to pout about your underutilized potential as a "people person". Being a "people person" is not going to cover the monthly nut. If that's all you've got, be grateful you have employment. If you want an outlet for your "peopleness", get a boyfriend, join a church, or volunteer at your local VA hospital or hospice.

I apologize for being un-PC. But I'm not seeing it, asking people here, on an employment forum, to help you find a career you "love" when you are already employed, but pouting about it. Many people here would love to have your job, and your complaints, but they'd likely keep the complaints to themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
unless u r incredibly talented at something u love or have some unique love for a traditional type job that whole "find a career doing something u love" mantra went out the window a very long time ago and most that stuck to that path are huddling around in unemployment offices looking for work
Heed this advice, for its the new normal. Get used to it.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:06 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Excuse me but I asked for career advice, not for someone to come on here and be nasty and negative to me. Sorry I am employed and it bothers you so much but I have the right to seek out a career that makes me happy.

Yes you are obviously very jaded and exactly the type of person I am trying NOT to be, which is why I need to find something that makes me happy. And you are wrong not everyone likes dealing with people. I work with a lot of introverts and that is just not me.
No offense, but most people who "did what they love" are standing in the unemployment lines. Sorry, it's true. I live near a college town in Indiana and it has been my experience that most young people are not living in reality. I can't tell you how many college students I have met who are going for degrees in history, fashion design, apparel merchandising, sports management, or geography who think they will have "good" jobs in these fields. Most will end up at Starbucks or mom's basement. Sorry, it is just the world we are living in now.

That being said, I would keep your current job and focus on what you love on the side. You say you are a people person. Why not volunteer at a shelter or mentor youth? You never know, you might get lucky and your side job turn into a career.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:07 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,007 times
Most careers are not loved. There are certainly rewards in doing something you like, but every career has a down side too.

Life is funny like that!

Old 01-07-2012, 09:25 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
Please type normally. Sorry, but that was hard to read.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:26 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
I can certainly relate to this issue. I'm in Financial Services and I am NOT a sales guy. I'm more of an analyst. If you're an analyst in tmy industry, good luck finding a job. I've been unemplyed for a year. I was married and kept putting off having kids because my career was terrible. She got tired of it and divorced me. My career choice has literally ruined my life. I would love to change fields, but I have so much time and education invested in this one. Plus, at 43, what the hell else am I supposed to do? Its a nightmare.

You might try taking the various personality/career exams such as Myers Briggs, Strong Interest Inventory, etc. I've done them all and they haven't helped me much, but that doesn't mean they won't help you. I've also hired career advisors, and most of them are useless. Wish I had better answers for you.

Are you in Atlanta, or trying to move back? I want out!

Old 01-07-2012, 10:29 AM

74 posts, read 133,819 times
I don't have any advice for you. I just wanted to let you know I am in the same boat you are. I'm searching and hoping I can come up with something I will be happy with. I tried the "find something outside of work that makes you happy" thing. Truth is, I'm spending 40+ hrs per week at a place I'm sick of. The "happy" stuff on the side just don't make up for it. Life's too short to be unhappy in your job.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment