Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 06:39 PM

29,797 posts, read 24,880,628 times

Advertisements

There are plenty of jobs available out there. The problem is, qualified candidates are often hard to come by for the good paying ones. Even a degree isn't worth by itself in many lines of work. Jobs are increasingly becoming specialized. The biggest problem I see is, employers are refusing to train for even the most specialized jobs. They can whine about it now, but it will become the end of their businesses when there's simply no one out there to do the work! It's like the take a penny - leave a penny cup, except these stingy employers are refusing to add a penny or two along the way.

The companies who are going to be succeeding tomorrow are the ones who invest today. With labor rates dropping in this country, some are investing the $$$ in training, and providing an environment that encourages learning. Providing a good work environment encourages those learning the skills to stay put, and not go to one of those stingy employers later. This is not what they are teaching in business school these days though apparently.... The employers training today will not see immediate profit, in fact, most will loose money short term. Best to invest in a down market though if you plan to be around for another couple decades.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:52 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
There are plenty of jobs available out there. The problem is, qualified candidates are often hard to come by for the good paying ones. Even a degree isn't worth by itself in many lines of work. Jobs are increasingly becoming specialized. The biggest problem I see is, employers are refusing to train for even the most specialized jobs. They can whine about it now, but it will become the end of their businesses when there's simply no one out there to do the work! It's like the take a penny - leave a penny cup, except these stingy employers are refusing to add a penny or two along the way.
So true. I think most companies are worried that they'll invest the time and money to train the employee and a competitor will "steal" them away. They think it smarter to let the other company train'em and we'll steal them. Or they want to maximize the pay to their present employees to keep them so there's no money for the entry-level or interns.

Are we past the days of hiring out-of-college to train them on specific systems? Are employers demanding ready-made experienced workers?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:30 PM

29,797 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
So true. I think most companies are worried that they'll invest the time and money to train the employee and a competitor will "steal" them away. They think it smarter to let the other company train'em and we'll steal them. Or they want to maximize the pay to their present employees to keep them so there's no money for the entry-level or interns.

Are we past the days of hiring out-of-college to train them on specific systems? Are employers demanding ready-made experienced workers?
Not necessarily. From what I have observed, the companies offering the best training regiments also go out of their way to protect their investment. This is done by developing a friendly work environment that encourages further growth on the part of the candidate, and an environment that rewards contributions made by the employee. Those kinds of jobs are the ones that are difficult to leave, and difficult for other companies to top. As I mentioned, the companies that invest the most in labor a down market will be the ones that will have the best opportunity to grow in the future. Smart employees aren't going to take a slightly better paying job just to get treated like crap by the typical race to the bottom corporate style being pushed on American's today. Besides, those friendly companies are going to get more contribution out of the workers, and can hopefully match, or top offers from the typical crappy American corporation.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:40 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
I remember when I was a recruiter in the 1990s when the job market was on fire. The situation was terrible for companies and managers. There were so many jobs that applicants and employees were cocky. They only needed to have a pulse to get a job and if they did not like every minute of the day at work they would move quickly to the next employer. Back then it was impossible to get motivated workers because the employee had too much power.
Oh, how sad...

Old 01-11-2012, 02:19 AM

511 posts, read 2,450,385 times
Default The tough job market has advantages for our economy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Oh, how sad...
If there is massive turnover and employees are unmotivated because they are cocky they can get hired in a few hours then one of the main motivating factors to getting things done in a business- FEAR- is gone and the company suffers. People have to work harder today because they fear losing their jobs if they don't and business and our economy comes out ahead in the long run. So from a business person's perspective the tough job market is a plus.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:53 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Perhaps some traveling this weekend would clear his head?
I would think he should definitely consider it as there seem to be some cobwebs clogging up the works! Maybe the basic game plan is being reworked as we speak since the creation of new threads has suddenly taken a nose-dive.

Quote:
So from a business person's perspective the tough job market is a plus.
As your wife can attest to? I see you're dodging and no doubt assume that if you simply disregard the posts questioning your credibility they'll simply disappear. Ah, hope springs eternal.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:13 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:

Has anyone looked at the Department of Labor Website? Even in this tough economy there are millions of people changing jobs every year. Why don't people realize this?
Big question?????? Why are millions of people changing jobs every year?
If their jobs were so great and paradisical, why would they want to change jobs?

IMO, this is bad, bad news!!!

Old 01-11-2012, 07:12 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
Well, I changed jobs 3 times technically last year. First, our small business went under. Then I found a job for very few hours (less than 10 at times) that I later found out I'd have to reapply for as the company was making changes. During that time, I found a "better" job, full time. Three months later, the company began to go under and I was laid off.

I still can't find a job. I have had some great interviews, some promising calls. I work very pt from home. But it's not enough to pay more than the light bill. We're facing mass critical at this point. What is there to do? My last interview went very well - and the boss told me I should be "flattered" as they received 500 resumes in the 3 days the ad was posted. Still, of the 5 he interviewed, mine went an hour (the first 3 about 20 minutes each). Yet the one person interviewed after me got the job.

I spend HOURS everyday searching for work, networking, calling. Nothing. I do not qualify for UI, so we're hurting. We maxed out our savings long ago, and our families too. We just got a foreclosure notice yesterday. I'm not trying to NOT work. But I cannot get hired. I'm not unskilled. I work hard. But when every minimum wage job has 300+ applications, things are tough. No matter what some blowhard with a job wants to think.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:30 AM

511 posts, read 2,450,385 times
Default Clean record + Job offer!

I was visiting with the manager of the Safeway Store in Fairfax VA where I shop at about the help wanted sign that they always have up and asked her if they really had job openings in todays tough economy. Or was the sign just a way to get people in the future in case someone quits. She said we always have multiple openings for cashiers and stock help. They just can not find enough people who will pass the credit, criminal and employment background checks. The trouble is most people who go for that type of job have lots of credit troubles because they used credit cards poorly and got behind. Safeway believes people with poor credit are more likely to steal from the till. Also a good number of applicants have a criminal background.

She is begging for responsible clean living younger workers hopefully college students.

So I don't believe it is that hard to find a low wage job in a major metro area if you have a clean record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Well, I changed jobs 3 times technically last year. First, our small business went under. Then I found a job for very few hours (less than 10 at times) that I later found out I'd have to reapply for as the company was making changes. During that time, I found a "better" job, full time. Three months later, the company began to go under and I was laid off.

I still can't find a job. I have had some great interviews, some promising calls. I work very pt from home. But it's not enough to pay more than the light bill. We're facing mass critical at this point. What is there to do? My last interview went very well - and the boss told me I should be "flattered" as they received 500 resumes in the 3 days the ad was posted. Still, of the 5 he interviewed, mine went an hour (the first 3 about 20 minutes each). Yet the one person interviewed after me got the job.

I spend HOURS everyday searching for work, networking, calling. Nothing. I do not qualify for UI, so we're hurting. We maxed out our savings long ago, and our families too. We just got a foreclosure notice yesterday. I'm not trying to NOT work. But I cannot get hired. I'm not unskilled. I work hard. But when every minimum wage job has 300+ applications, things are tough. No matter what some blowhard with a job wants to think.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:49 AM

1,626 posts, read 3,897,080 times
Millions Hired in 2011? oh BS!!! If that was the case then there wouldn't be jobs crisis every night on the news, every blog, , every online news article, every media channel. We also wouldn't be having this very thread if things were going well out there.

Last edited by Swan Dive; 01-11-2012 at 09:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment