Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 06:47 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
In My mother's hospital they have 200 positions open in 2011, they received 16,000 resumes in 2011.

you heard that right.....
The flip side is that one of my clients has 32 actuary positions open and has received less than 100 resumes... most of which don't have the proper training. If people want jobs, they have to get needed skills.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:53 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The flip side is that one of my clients has 32 actuary positions open and has received less than 100 resumes... most of which don't have the proper training. If people want jobs, they have to get needed skills.
Off topic, but what is involved in becoming an actuary? I've thought about it before and it seemed like something that might interest me. Apparently you have to do a lot of testing.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:58 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
Off topic, but what is involved in becoming an actuary? I've thought about it before and it seemed like something that might interest me. Apparently you have to do a lot of testing.
It's not my area of expertise but I know that you need to demonstrate your knowledge by passing SOA exams. My involvement with them is merely developing the software they use.

http://www.ehow.com/about_4600912_re...e-actuary.html

Old 01-12-2012, 07:04 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
I am sick and tired of the stories about multiple resumes for an open position. This means nothing because you don't know if any of them are qualified or not. Now if you said there was 40 highly qualified applicants who just knocked your socks off for one job, now that would mean something. But usually there is only a handful of quality applicants for one open job.
It means nothing? No, it does mean something. It means too many people are looking for work. It means that those on unemployment need 4 work search activities each week. In my city there are not 4 jobs posted for my qualifications each week and that means people are applying to jobs where they don't meet the requirements for the job. It may also mean that companies are asking for too much. If the job's title is the same as in 1980 or 1990 are the requirements the same? In 1980 it took 3 people to do this job...in 1995 due to technology 2 people could do this job...in 2010 due to more technological advances 1 person can do this job.

As I've said to you before: I hope you don't all of a sudden find yourself without a job too!

Old 01-12-2012, 07:56 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's not my area of expertise but I know that you need to demonstrate your knowledge by passing SOA exams. My involvement with them is merely developing the software they use.

Requirements to Become an Actuary | eHow.com
Ah ok, you seem fairly knowledgeable so I figured I'd ask to see what you knew. Thanks

Old 01-12-2012, 08:43 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
So many valid questions asked of you and almost none answered. How many people do you now have on your "ignore" list? The ship is sinking.
Agreed.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:08 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
it;s clear that the OP is a troll, I knew before I opened the thread
I feel sorry for OP's wife who has now lost her job and is collecting unemployment. Apparently she's got an offer in another part of the country and he is wondering if they should move, trading one job for another. If its so easy to find a job in DC why is she looking elsewhere and why doesn't she already have a job lined up? Wouldn't you like to be a fly in their house?

Nothing OP says bothers me as this forum has taught me not to take other's comments seriously. He's entitled to his opinion just as you or I are. Don't let those posts get to you!

Old 01-12-2012, 09:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
Generally you need an actuarial science degree. A degree in statistics or applied mathematics with some actuarial coursework might be substituted. Actuarial applicants have always been in demand, it's a job that seems recession proof because there are more jobs than applicants.

It's also a job that most aren't cut out for, it's beyond boring unless you have a very specific type of personality.

I know two actuarials, both are linear thinkers, one I think is extremely high-functioning Aspergers. He loves his job. The other doesn't love it but doesn't hate it, but he seems to have that same view on almost everything from his breakfast to the weather to his wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment