Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 07:08 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,314 times

Advertisements

All jokes aside, why is HR so looked down upon. I think that is the area I am going to explore since data analysis jobs are nearly non-existent. My background is in retail management though. I enjoyed interviewing people and hiring and training. I loved price points and budgets though just as much. I have read on here what people think about HR and was very curious as to why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 07:13 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
Because most of them are pinheads who haven't the first clue how to hire a good employee because they usually don't have ANY experience in the field they are hiring for.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:23 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
When I worked for a large company. I got the idea that HR and support functions were a parking ground for the inept.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:29 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
To add to my post above, HR people almost always ask stupid interview questions like "What are your strengths and weaknesses?", "Tell me about a time when you have gotten into a conflict with a co-worker", "If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would it be and why?" (I actually got that one once!) instead of focusing on TECHNICAL questions that relate to the job itself.

At the job I have now, the guy interviewing me was the manager (not someone from HR), and about 70-80% of the questions he asked me were technical questions to see if I really knew my stuff. THAT is how you conduct an interview, not wasting the candidate's time with BS.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Actually, it's another good excuse for people that can't find a job, someone else to blame. As a hiring manager I have a lot of respect and gratitude for the help of the people I work with in our HR department. When I get 50-60 applicants and none are qualified, they have been willing to re-open the position and try harder.

Are there bad HR people out there? Sure, just like any other job. But. . with recent layoffs and less hiring there are less people doing more work and if it were not for them no one would be getting a job.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:40 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
I find that HR doesn't attract the best and brightest and they seem to enjoy torturing the applicants. I've heard stories where the HR people invite an applicant to lunch and either will not order food if the applicant orders or order food if the applicant doesn't order. Or interview the applicant when making him or her sit in a chair with one leg shorter than the others. Or hire someone, make them move, and then rescind the job the day they arrive. Or put out job offers when there is no job because they just want to "test the applicant market". Or freakout if they see a piece of lint on the applicant's coat. Or block the hiring of an applicant as they deem him or her unqualified when the department with the position specifically wants that applicant.

HR does it to themselves.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:04 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,314 times
I have to admit that I have had zero experience in corporate hiring or interviews--all mine has been in retail or hospitality, but even then I have had my share of dumb HR questions.

However, when I interviewed I never asked those questions. I only asked about what they could bring to the table. I want to know if they can do the job or not. I don't have to like everyone I work with, but I do need to be able to trust them to do the job they were hired for. I rarely called references because I always thought it was best to trust my own impression and judgement over someone else. References can always give negative info if they don't like how things ended with the employee.

I have hired people simply because they were Eagle scouts (they can stick with things), I hired an ex convict and he turned out to be a great manager, I don't think I have ever hired someone because they "played the game" better than everyone else.

I guess this is just another area where I just don't fit in. I really see the importance of HR though for both employee and employer.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:18 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
I also find HR people have an inflated sense of self importance and get drunk on the power they are given and do not deserve and use it to abuse applicants.

They really are not good at hiring are almost never held accountable. They ask dumb psychobabble questions and go for the person who is the best BSers. Also they make such broad baseless generalizations about people based on all sorts of nonsense they ought to be wearing white bed sheets.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:29 PM

43 posts, read 75,636 times
People go into accounting/finance because they are good with figures and number analysis.

People go into science because they are good with math.

People go into law because they are good with analyzing complex laws/situations.

People go into medical profession because they are good with memorizing and excel in biology, and other science fields.

People go into human resources because "I like to work with people."

Old 01-10-2012, 08:38 PM

29,800 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Most that I have encountered have absolutely no practical experience or exposure to the roles they are attempting to fill. By default, they just try to get the cheapest possible labor possible. As a result, the company looses money in productivity, backlogs in work, damage... I've seen companies go belly up as a direct result of top heavy management and idiot HR. I never interview for a job that involved just an HR manager. NEVER. That has bad news written all over it for the company.

I believe I have written a post on here about my experience with a very large corporation that was attempting to fill a rather high paying position. Being that the HR couldn't describe one duty in which I would be responsible for, I refused to go any further. They are, for the most part, a waste of everyone's time, and an obsticle to be overcome when trying to bring the right worker in for the right job. Most jobs are becoming so specialized these days, that HR is an effective means of filling them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment