Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:00 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,444,585 times

Advertisements

I would love to hear how people with office jobs spend their day. Is there down time, is it constant intense work, do you get to travel to various locations (and do what there?), ..just what's your daily routine like.

Personally I'm a nurse (and yes I'm male), my parents are both teachers, and I kind of always wondered what people in those big buildings with their own cubicle/office spend their day on.

Leaving specifics out is fine of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 07:22 AM

279 posts, read 853,956 times
i sit in my cubicle for 8 hours and do nothing..yay..lol

Old 01-11-2012, 09:22 AM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,727,922 times
I spend my day talking to customers about their wireless network needs and then designing those solutions. That involves using various pieces of design software, pricing solutions, allocating internal resources, and assisting as a technical expert for sales presentations.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:30 AM

548 posts, read 1,216,873 times
I am pretty sure desk jobs vary significantly in terms of what people do all day, but I spend most of my time at my desk, reading/writing (mostly on the computer). I also spend 20-30% of the time talking on the phone to clients, going to co-workers' offices to discuss projects we are working on together, and traveling for work.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:36 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Writing and testing code
Updating spreadsheets

All from my desk.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:38 AM

3,996 posts, read 5,012,780 times
I've been at this job for about 10 months...it's drastically different than my last job doing the same type of work. This new company seems to be about 10 years behind the place I left so my days are not as busy as I would like. Don't get me wrong, I don't really like it when the workload is so heavy you can't think, but not having any work day after day is the most mind numbing thing. I try helping other departments but my boss gets jerky about it and he knows I don't have anything so what can I do. In about another month, it will pick up.

So, when I'm busy, I file personal property tax returns. Woohoo. I daydream all day long about not being tethered to an office. Although, in the summer, I would dread being outside in the extreme heat. I'm confident there is a happy medium.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:40 AM

41,947 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I yap on the phone, do research on the computer, write write write write, go to meetings so I can write write write write some more, drink tea, and take 10-minute breaks every couple of hours.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:49 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times
Emails, emails, emails galore! I do a lot of communications between our clients and vendors. I have to review several reports throughout the day. I take a few phone calls here and there. But it's mostly emails. I probably get 150-200 a day to sift through, some relevant, some not so much.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:09 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times
My girlfriend's a nurse and I envy you people!! Hourly pay that adds up easily more than I make on salary (as an engineer) and if you take on a 60 hour week you get compensated HANDSOMELY for it. She tells me about a lot of the stresses of being a nurse, though, and it certainly justifies your compensation.

I start my day with about an hour of reading/responding to important emails. The rest of the day my tasks vary. Sometimes I'm in the lab experimenting with prototypes, sometimes I'm designing things using software, sometimes I'm sorting through/writing documentation. I do all sorts of stuff during the day. Generally it's a constant flow of work with only occasional down time. The worst part is that companies all over are cutting back on compensation/benefits, so we get paid worse for doing more work and pulling 50+ hour weeks consistently. Overall I enjoy my job, even if compensation isn't the greatest.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:10 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Do what suits you..... Someone used to nursing would be bored with a desk job...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment