Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 04:48 PM

29,701 posts, read 24,780,162 times

Advertisements

Took a cut in pay for a job I liked more. Has more upside potential I think, and will go salary in about a year if I stick with it. Also got a new apartment, which is going to add to overall expenses.

As of today, my breakdown in...

rent 17%
Utilities/internet/cell phone : 3%
Car (gas/insurance): 3.8% (don't live far from work and car has been paid off for quite awhile)
Health insurance provided by employer so 0%
groceries: 2%

Outside of that I probably spend around 2-3% when going out. I havn't contributed to a 401K in a few years, so I will be opening one at the end of the year and probably kick in an extra 10% towards that. Unmatched, but the employer puts in 4% of your salary regardless.

Seems like a light budget, but I'm pretty frugal. I cook mostly from scratch at home, and produce is very cheap. I moved somewhere close to work, and should I need to find a new job, there are plenty of potential employers nearby, including my old job. No debt or anything to pay off, don't have a credit card, and I only have a studio. Next big move will probably be a house, but I am in no means going to rush that. If I had to buy another car, it would certainly be a used car. My car was bought new, and it has been good to me, but I don't think it's worth the 30K that a new one would cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 02:07 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,830,999 times
I make about $16,000 a year. Rent about 50%

No car.

I should really make more effort to eat cheaper leaving more money for hookers.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:04 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,516,157 times
About a 1/3 on rent. Utilities are included and I don't have any cable or car payments (car is paid off.) I spend about 70-100 dollars on groceries and drink every two weeks and cook at home majority of the time. These days I rarely spend money on going out to lunch at work.

I have student loans but I just inherited some money and about to pay them all off.

So I guess I'm rather conservative but rent traditionally a ton where I live. If I had roommates I would save more but oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment