Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 11:34 AM

370 posts, read 1,366,003 times

Advertisements

Why the hostility?

All I am saying is that unless you disclosed the details, you can't expect THE BEST for a low paying, temp. job.

That's what the OP said..I didn't assume anything.

I'm not a victim of the OP. I didn't apply for his job and I don't need a job so thanks for not hiring me!

I have noticed people dress much more casually than they did when I started out working in the 80s...

Old 01-12-2012, 11:38 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
I don't see the OP expecting the best, but expecting a very good candidate in a bad economy even for a low-paying temp job is not beyond the norm. Expecting common manners to be followed by those fortunate to be interviewed is not beyond the norm.

These four showed why, in all liklihood, many are long-term unemployed. The good ones get rehired at new jobs rather quickly; the rest , quite frankly, need to up their game. Many were low-hanging fruit who were fortunate to have been gainfully employed before. I see none of group 1 amongst her 4 candidates.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:39 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
What is with the BS about how many interview questions they answered "correctly." Is their job to answer interview question all day long. I'd learn towards 3 if the MA was relevant and he/she didn't wear jeans (incredibly lame). I don't place really any stock in answers interview question correctly. In my experience this is the worst way to hire.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:41 AM

Did you use Craigslist?

What kind of work did you want this candidate to do? Why would someone bring their buddy to hang out and talk to the boss/HR person? Seems weird.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:44 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
Why the hostility?

All I am saying is that unless you disclosed the details, you can't expect THE BEST for a low paying, temp. job.

That's what the OP said..I didn't assume anything.

I'm not a victim of the OP. I didn't apply for his job and I don't need a job so thanks for not hiring me!

I have noticed people dress much more casually than they did when I started out working in the 80s...
Someone needs a Dale Carnegie course--and fast. Let me remind you of your post which read:

I amazed by the arrogance of HR/hiring managers in general spouting bush league interview stereotypes. Written in Bolded type, too, for emphasis.

How many people here DO NOT know HOW to dress for an interview?
Do you REALLY expect some guy to drive 2.5-3 hours a day for a low paying 'but fun' job?

Did you advertise the salary or let people know IN ADVANCE what you'd pay?

Do you think this low paying, temp job should pull in the cream of the crop? Pay a decent salary, boss. Get your head out of the clouds. People aren't that desperate to be YOUR employee at your 'fun' company.

Don't scoff at the job seekers. You may be one someday.

Let's see. You called the guy arrogant and bush league, and then made all kinds of assumptions about the ad, essentially stating that it was likely misleading. Then the coup de grace for the entire post was your statement that a person who has a master's degree is incapable of learning how to dress properly for an interview.

And you wondered why we heaped a bit of abuse on you?

Old 01-12-2012, 11:46 AM

Okay, fair points.

Maybe the OP will elaborate on what sort of job this was he/she needed filling.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:50 AM

475 posts, read 1,370,966 times
I know what it was for: you needed a mascot to dress as a statue of liberty for tax season and hang out near a busy street. I would have dressed in jeans too. I go with #3 for the reality check.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:52 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
What is with the BS about how many interview questions they answered "correctly." Is their job to answer interview question all day long. I'd learn towards 3 if the MA was relevant and he/she didn't wear jeans (incredibly lame). I don't place really any stock in answers interview question correctly. In my experience this is the worst way to hire.
Bottom line, were the questions objective or subjective? If the job was for a janitorial position and the question was, "Is it OK to mix ammonia and bleach?" and the person answered, "Sure, why not?" then don't hire them.

On the other hand if they were asked, "Which is a better bowl cleaner, Lysol or Clorox?" that's subjective and there is no correct answer.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:52 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I just interviewed four candidates for a job. We did limited advertising, and only had 9 applicants. It's a low paying, temporary job, but fun work among a small happy staff in a really great profession in which it's hard to find full time permanent jobs. After interviewing, I really didn't want to hire any of them. Here's why:

#1 - He had the least experience and education, and he would have to drive 1.5 hrs each way to get here. He is not willing to move closer. Yes, I know he's probably desperate for work, and I feel sorry for him, but how do I know he wouldn't often be late or have car trouble? I'd worry about his safety on the road all the time!

#2 - She answered the most interview questions correctly, but only has mid-level experience and training. She was least flexible regarding the schedule, and her inflexibility made me worry that she would be a demanding employeee. An overconfident employee can just be irritating. All of the other interviewees obviously are really desperate for work. Maybe she should suffer some unemployment (like everyone else) before she gets hired?

#3 - She has a MA in this field, and has great references, but answered the fewest questions correctly. She also kept referring to notes while answering questions. She also wore jeans to the interview. An advanced education doesn't make someone the best for the job. Also, dress well for a job interview, even though the job itself will only require casual clothing - it's a matter of respect!

#4 - He has the most real-life experience but the least training. He tied with #2 in the # of interview questions answered correctly. However, he brought a friend with him to the interview and that friend took up a ton of my time. The interview team had to split up so that I could take care of the friend's needs while the other interviewers showed the interviewee around. Don't bring a friend to an interview - again, it's a matter of respect! And others on the interview team thought that he was so overqualified that he would be bored with our job and leave soon.

So, which one did I end up hiring?

Was #3 hot? Level of hotness gets you an automatic mulligan.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:53 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
After reading your comments about candidate #1 it is hard to take the other things you say seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment