Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 03:50 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times

Advertisements

I will comment that an "overconfident" demeanor doesn't mean "not desperate for a job".

I am cool, calm and composed. And would NEVER act desperate for a job. Two days ago, I got informed I didn't get hired from my last interview (one of the interviewers responded saying that the person they went with "REALLY needed the job"), and we received foreclosure papers in the mail.

So, they hired someone for the position, who will allow her personal life to show. Hope that company never has any problems, or that the person they hired will ever have a personal issue while greeting a client! Maybe I should've told them my personal problems... to be honest, it seemed unprofessional.

I did get a job today though. Better position, better pay, better hours, etc. SO HAPPY!

Old 01-12-2012, 04:25 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
except a temp job typically has lower pay and no benefits.
I agree. Our office will be going through this situation shortly. I would rather pay someone a little bit more per hour w/o the benefits.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:26 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Like everyone else, I want to find out who got hired. I would go with #1. People often overestimate the difficulty of traveling. I know many who travel over that time and reliably show up every day.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:36 PM

650 posts, read 1,812,186 times
Sounds like you're reading too much into people for a low-paying temp job. Is this your first time interviewing? I'd go with #1, he seems the hungriest and most willing to work.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:50 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
I am completely amazed by the sea of clueless zombies that respond to ads. I really believe that most of them are doing all they can to remain unemployed.

I can assure that is the result they get from me.
Good, good, good. Let them remain clueless; that's less competition for others seriously seeking employment.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:08 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
True, Soda120. LOL!

Old 01-12-2012, 05:38 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I just interviewed four candidates for a job. We did limited advertising, and only had 9 applicants. It's a low paying, temporary job, but fun work among a small happy staff in a really great profession in which it's hard to find full time permanent jobs. After interviewing, I really didn't want to hire any of them. Here's why:

#1 - He had the least experience and education, and he would have to drive 1.5 hrs each way to get here. He is not willing to move closer. Yes, I know he's probably desperate for work, and I feel sorry for him, but how do I know he wouldn't often be late or have car trouble? I'd worry about his safety on the road all the time!

#2 - She answered the most interview questions correctly, but only has mid-level experience and training. She was least flexible regarding the schedule, and her inflexibility made me worry that she would be a demanding employeee. An overconfident employee can just be irritating. All of the other interviewees obviously are really desperate for work. Maybe she should suffer some unemployment (like everyone else) before she gets hired?

#3 - She has a MA in this field, and has great references, but answered the fewest questions correctly. She also kept referring to notes while answering questions. She also wore jeans to the interview. An advanced education doesn't make someone the best for the job. Also, dress well for a job interview, even though the job itself will only require casual clothing - it's a matter of respect!

#4 - He has the most real-life experience but the least training. He tied with #2 in the # of interview questions answered correctly. However, he brought a friend with him to the interview and that friend took up a ton of my time. The interview team had to split up so that I could take care of the friend's needs while the other interviewers showed the interviewee around. Don't bring a friend to an interview - again, it's a matter of respect! And others on the interview team thought that he was so overqualified that he would be bored with our job and leave soon.

So, which one did I end up hiring?

The fact that you are complaining about not being able to find a good match for a LOW PAYING TEMPORARY JOB makes this thread a FAIL!!

Old 01-12-2012, 05:40 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,153 times
I get that all of the candidates had flaws. I would dress professionally for an interview and certainly not bring a friend ( that`s crazy). But the op also shows what`s wrong with employers today. They are offering very little but want the cream of the crop. You want someone to live close by, be educated, dress professionally, be flexible with their schedule, and have more than mid-level experience. In return you give them low pay , no benefits, temporary work with no security.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:44 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I get that all of the candidates had flaws. I would dress professionally for an interview and certainly not bring a friend ( that`s crazy). But the op also shows what`s wrong with employers today. They are offering very little but want the cream of the crop. You want someone to live close by, be educated, dress professionally, be flexible with their schedule, and have more than mid-level experience. In return you give them low pay , no benefits, temporary work with no security.
Now see, I would think that a temporary job would pay just a little more.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:45 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
I rather sing outside my apartment for money than accept a LOW PAYING job that is temporary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment