Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 11:01 PM

593 posts, read 1,407,969 times

Advertisements

DubbleT, that was CLASSIC! There are some crazy people out there!!

I worked in a call center taking orders over the phone for DVDs. We had this one guy call in and ask for "Toxic Avenger 3: The Last Temptation of Toxie". After 11 years, I can still hear his voice in my head saying that!

He called in EVERY DAY and asked for this same DVD and we would tell him it's not coming out until X, we were very polite and patient with him because we could tell he may have had some sort of mental disorder. We were SO very polite and patient... we should have received medals.

So when it came closer to the release date, we were getting very relieved because every time he called, it would be the same circular conversation that lasted at least 5 minutes: "Sir it comes out on X date, you already have it pre-ordered, it will get to your house on the day it comes out, don't worry." Then he would tell us what it was all about and why it was this awesome story and awesome series and that's why he HAD to have it!

Then he called one day and in our computer system the date got pushed out another week. OH THE HORROR!!! Then the release date got pushed again and again, then it was "TBD". It was all fun and games at first and we would have a little laugh in the lunch room about who got to be tortured by him that day, we had looked forward to the release date to release us from his craziness!!

After the release date got pushed farther out, the guy started calling MULTIPLE TIMES a day, we were at our wit's end! Finally, after months of this, one of my co-worker's patience ran out and he SNAPPED.

It was glorious, it was everything we all had wanted to say, but didn't have the nerve to! And the guy finally got his DVD and we rejoiced!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 11:12 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,345,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I see people leave merchandise all over the place too. Some of them I've actually said something to like "Please give that to me and I'll see that it gets put where it belongs".

I had a lady the other day who had a $250 purchase. She used her food stamp card which only had $168 on it. That's no big deal because most just use a debit/credit card or cash for the remainder. This lady had none of those things so we had to to start voiding things. By the time I was done I had half a basket full of things and, yes, it was the meat/produce/perishable/frozen things she put back. And then she decides she doesn't want ANY of it and insisted that I put her $168 back on her card. I had NO idea how I could do that but since the transaction was never actually completed I wasn't sure it had even been taken off. Finally had to get a CSM to take over. You would think that people would know how much they have left on their card before they start. Because of this woman I actually had a customer yell at ME and that was first for me. She was ticked because it was taking so long. Not MY fault!
When I was a grocery cashier I often had people come through and say they only had X amount of dollars on their food stamp card. so I'd be selective in what I grabbed. I'd pick out the meat, juice, fruit, vegetables, etc. I'd make sure to avoid any junk food they had in their basket.

Being warned they have a limit ahead of time is much easier than having to go through and take things off one at a time. Once some college girls came through and after I'd rung up the order, they wanted things taken off since they were short on funds. After several items were voided, the guy behind them angrily said "How much more money do you need?".

Old 01-23-2012, 08:50 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,856,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
When I was a grocery cashier I often had people come through and say they only had X amount of dollars on their food stamp card. so I'd be selective in what I grabbed. I'd pick out the meat, juice, fruit, vegetables, etc. I'd make sure to avoid any junk food they had in their basket.

Being warned they have a limit ahead of time is much easier than having to go through and take things off one at a time. Once some college girls came through and after I'd rung up the order, they wanted things taken off since they were short on funds. After several items were voided, the guy behind them angrily said "How much more money do you need?".
That's a good idea and don't know why I didn't think of it! It kinda gets to me when the things 'they' choose to put back is the 'good stuff' and keep the junk food and sodas.

I have had people tell me they only have X amount and to watch the totals as I go. I'll remember YOUR way!

I've also had customers offer to pay a balance for someone. That one always takes me by surprise but renews my faith in human beings.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:28 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,906,783 times
When I worked retail, customers leaving merchandise wherever was one of my biggest pet peeves. Sometimes if I saw a customer do this I would rush over, pick up the item and ask the customer if they forgot the item lol...the response was usually a sheepish "Yes...thank you !" lol

I often thought with todays technology that it should be no problem to attach a microchip to all merchandise that delivers like a million volts of electricity to the customer when an item isn't put back where it belongs. It would be like Pavlov dog training.

Whenever customers would complain in bitchy tones that they couldn't find salespeople out on the floor I always felt like saying it was because we were busy putting back in it's proper places all the stuff that customers just leave wherever. If customers didn't do this we would have more time for personal service.

Anyone ever tell off a customer off the clock ?

Once when I was working in this video store (since gone out of business HAHAAAAAAHAAHAA *evil laugh*), I was working alone on a day that decided to snow a little...and by a little I mean a light dusting. Anyway, people in my state, because they arent used to snow seem to freak OUT and decided they need to go driving around town for all manner of crap.

Well on this day I'm working alone because the day isn't normally that busy and so no one else was scheduled. It's me alone and I'm running outside to the return box, answering the phone, helping customers at the counter and futilely trying to organize the returned movies and get them back on the shelves.

This HORRIBLE customer, who will ALWAYS be Toadwoman to me (because she resembled a very uptight one)...walks up to the counter and waits approximately 20 seconds before she starts bitching about how she "doesn't have all day" and how "incompetent" I am.

Well I'm friendly as can be but I do point out that as she could see I was the only person there and a little understanding would be appreciated. She just snatches her movies out of my hands and huffs and puffs her way out the door.

At about this point my relief shows up and the minute I clock off I burst into tears and cried all the way home and for an hour or so afterwards until I decompressed 100%.

The very next day I was off and went to the post office and who do you think I ran into ? Yes...Toadwoman. She actually has the NERVE to start on me AGAIN even though I was off the clock. Well I totally went off on her, I didn't swear at all at her but I did tell her that she was a sorry excuse for a human being, going around torturing powerless human beings. We were literally screaming at each other in the middle of the post office lol. I wasn't about to back down because at that moment I was simply "Bandon", not a serf/peon/peasant worker and she was simply "Toadwoman", NOT the "Customer" as she kept trying to insert into the convo.

Well the next day when I went into work the poor assistant manager told me that the chicken spit manager Leslie had told him to ask for my key and to tell me my services were no longer needed. And THIS was after she had told all of us at a meeting the week before that she wanted us to know that whatever we did on OUR time off was OUR business. This was just before Giftmas too, so she ruined my kids Giftmas.

Oh and I forgot to mention that Toadwoman tried to pull the race card as well. She said that I was only giving her a hard time because she was Mexican.

I told her that I didn't even know she was human let alone Mexican (she was very light skinned).

This was back around 03 or so and everytime I think of this story my blood boils. I got my own back though. Both me and my husband of the time were both very much into witchcraft (usually white), so were carved an image on a piece of wood meant to harm that business. Well, less then three months later they went out of business. Never mess with a witch lol

Old 01-23-2012, 09:45 PM

554 posts, read 973,944 times
I stopped in the Starbucks down the street from my house this fall. A well dressed yuppity looking woman presented the guy at the counter a coupon for a free drink. Apparently the coupon was not valid (not sure why). The employee was an African Immigrant. This woman starts screaming at the employee telling him that 'you are nothing' , 'you are nothing but an immigrant' ,'do you know who I am'. Now, I have been going to this starbucks for about 2yrs and knew the barista. He is a pretty mild mannered guy so he didn't respond. I however am not mild mannered and I am a pretty intimidating looking guy. I suggest to the woman that she is a F***ing C*** and suggest that she leave the store. I got free coffee that night!

Old 01-24-2012, 05:30 AM

26,683 posts, read 41,550,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterjohn View Post
I stopped in the Starbucks down the street from my house this fall. A well dressed yuppity looking woman presented the guy at the counter a coupon for a free drink. Apparently the coupon was not valid (not sure why). The employee was an African Immigrant. This woman starts screaming at the employee telling him that 'you are nothing' , 'you are nothing but an immigrant' ,'do you know who I am'. Now, I have been going to this starbucks for about 2yrs and knew the barista. He is a pretty mild mannered guy so he didn't respond. I however am not mild mannered and I am a pretty intimidating looking guy. I suggest to the woman that she is a F***ing C*** and suggest that she leave the store. I got free coffee that night!
Dude, if you had done that for me the employee, you would NEVER have had to pay for your coffee again.

Trust me, uppity people are a nightmare to those who work customer service.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:49 AM

554 posts, read 973,944 times
Yeah man and we have our share of them in Fairfax co!

Old 01-24-2012, 12:53 PM

26,683 posts, read 41,550,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterjohn View Post
Yeah man and we have our share of them in Fairfax co!
Wow! I thought this HAD to be a Northern VA story. I worked mostly in Alexandria and Arlington but it's the same thing no matter where up there. I'm likely returning there but I don't ever want to have to work customer service there again.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:00 PM

819 posts, read 3,200,402 times
Years & years ago I worked retail at Sally Beauty Supply. Well one day we had this lady come in who was known to steal. My co-worker advised me to watch her and I did. I was still knew so I wasn't sure really how to do this. Long story short, I lose site of her, then walk into the next isle and there is an empty curling iron box and she is about to walk out the door. I yelled for my co-worker that she stole the curling iron. My co-worker locks the door and calls the cops. Then the lady started cussing me out big time. Then starts laughing. She never had the curling iron. She took it out of the box and hid it behind some other products. -_-

Old 01-24-2012, 06:16 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,386,600 times
Talking My worst customer...

was Suzanne Plachett (spelling), the Actress. My first job at age 15, I worked in an ice cream parlor at an amusement center in So CA. I waited on a very intoxicated lady who asked for 'extra hot fudge' on her sundae. Well,
being a company man I told her I couldn't do that...WRONG ANSWER... she came so unglued with me that I was literally shaking...LOLOL...another chapter in my book...if my boss hadn't recognized her and heard her screaming at me he wouldn't have come over and saved the day...of course she got all the hot fudge she wanted. I do believe that was the closest I've ever come to peeing my pants in public...LOLOL... she was a 'she-devil'... I kinda wish she'd do it again now that I'm all grown up...LOLOL...
Koale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment