Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Engineering: Are you employed, unemployed or underemployed?
Employed 25 55.56%
Unemployed 8 17.78%
Underemployed 12 26.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 10:19 AM

134 posts, read 367,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmanjoe123 View Post
I am an engineer graduate from a top public university in may 2011. I was unemployed for 7 months and I just got a job offer. Don't give up. Persistence is key
I'm in the same boat. One of my friends graduated from the same program and got a job in 4-5 mos. around the Massachusetts area, another is still looking.

It's rough, probably not as bad as a lot of other people are having it, but it's still a pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 08:24 PM

386 posts, read 1,052,233 times
What are you doing in the IT field that you are underemployed?

Old 01-17-2012, 09:38 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekwuz View Post
I graduated with B.S. EE last May 2011 and unemployed in engineering field. However, I'm currently underemployed in IT for 5 years now... It seems like I'm the only one who is currently unemployed/underemployed with my skills. Looking for engineering work right now.. Am I the only one?
Move to DC

Old 01-17-2012, 10:33 AM

22 posts, read 99,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parttimetechie View Post
What are you doing in the IT field that you are underemployed?
I am a sysadmin. I got this job since/while I was a student, so the salary is still in the area of student payscale (12-14/hr). My boss is very stingy in terms of salary increase. Instead of asking for an increase, I would rather look to another company. We didn't have increase for 4 years now, but I asked for an increase and reclassification last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
Move to DC
I would if I have a secured job waiting for me there.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:38 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
It took me 7 months to find a job when I graduated and that was during the 2002-2003 recession. However I was not willnig to move more than 100 miles away. If you expand your horizons and are open to any kind of industry, I'm sure you can find something within a few months.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:53 PM

182 posts, read 612,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc212 View Post
I'm in the same boat. One of my friends graduated from the same program and got a job in 4-5 mos. around the Massachusetts area, another is still looking.

It's rough, probably not as bad as a lot of other people are having it, but it's still a pain.
Definitely. When I told people I was unemployed they were shocked because many assume that an engineer degree = instant employment. Unfortunately that was not the case for me. Its VERY competitive out there right now for a very limited job market.

And for the OP: Nothing new here but don't get discouraged. Eyes on the prize, my friend.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:00 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
Look on the bright side. You could have majored in social work and classical studies and be looking for a job. Can you imagine trying to find a job with those worthless majors? There are thousands of new grads that are in that boat.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:10 AM

354 posts, read 855,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
It's tough out there buddy. Not only are engineering jobs scarce, but you have a lot of competition with people who have a degree and experience. Not to say you should quit, but just keep looking. Took me around 2-3 months to find a job with 5 years experience in the field.
I agree. I have a really good degree and before the recession hit the longest it ever took me to get a job in my field was 3 month! Now I have been laid off for 6 months and I am no closer to getting a job then the day they let me go and I have a killer resume!

Luckly I have about 6 years of work experiance I can't imagine how hard it must be for a new grad like yourself. It may seam like everyone else has a good job and is getting head but after seeing this job market I think that most people your age are in the same boat as you.

Just hang in there. It's disapointing but some day things will get better.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 19,398 times
I graduated in May 2011 with my BSEE as well, and i'm unemployed. No internship experience, mediocre GPA so when the few jobs out there are bombarded with people overexperienced for some of these positions, I don't stand a chance.

A lot of positions far away from where I live (Missouri) only want local employees as well, I've had a couple potential interviews that wouldn't reimburse a penny in travel expenses when I can't afford to fly and put myself up at a hotel.

I too get the reaction that people think engineering is immune to unemployement. I was told it was before I got my degree, and now I'm here knee deep in student loans years later without a job.

It's really depressing but I'm still trying hard to find a job.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:46 PM

615 posts, read 1,375,165 times
Default Why am I always hearing that U.S. colleges and universities are not producing enough science and engineering graduates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
It's tough out there buddy. Not only are engineering jobs scarce, but you have a lot of competition with people who have a degree and experience. Not to say you should quit, but just keep looking. Took me around 2-3 months to find a job with 5 years experience in the field.
If it is true that there is "a lot of competition with people who have a degree and experience," why am I always hearing that U.S. colleges and universities are not producing enough science, engineering, and technology graduates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment