Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 04:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,978,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
Now I'm already looking on local job-search sites and newspapers. Would it cause any harm just applying for a few jobs? I don't see how it can. Would it be best to omit my dollar store job or actually explain what had happened to interviewers when I am asked? The head office guy is going to be there Saturday to see me, but I'm also working tomorrow evening so who knows if something's going to be discovered by then.
They don't call current employers unless you give them permission, at least in the US. As long as you're employed there, I wouldn't bring this up at interviews. I'd say you are looking for more hours, less hours, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 04:34 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,762,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Did you ever seal your deposit envelope? If you did, then how was the empty envelope found - still sealed but empty or unsealed and empty. If it is the latter, it would suggest that somebody could have emptied it and shoved it back in the box. If it's the former, you're screwed. If you didn't seal it, it's inconclusive which is going to reflect badly on you.

Also, if a customer came upon the stray envelope, why would they put the empty envelope back in the box? They would just take the whole thing.

Yeah I think a customer would take the whole envelope. It's quicker to just grab and go when in an area that's unfamiliar and who knows who could be around and camera's, etc etc. But another employee is familiar with the surroundings and could empty and then put it back in empty to make it appear that he didn't put the money in the envelope or in the right envelope in the first place.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:36 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,973,626 times
If no one is caught on camera taking the money then I think you are going to be fired. They have to keep putting you on the schedule until the head person gets the paper work together and serve it to you personally for you to sign agreeing to your termination. $200 is nothing to sneeze at not to mention this is not your first shortage. I also agree that you were being irresponsible and even if someone else is stealing from you, you make it possible by not being attentive to what you're doing. No one should have to tell you to lock your drawer when you're not using it, no one should have to tell you to sign your name, date & time on the envelope of your deposit and push the envelope all the way in the slot so its no longer visible. You may not be stealing but you are enabling the person who is stealing.

Its not right for someone to be taking your naivety for granted however YOU are responsible for the actions or lack thereof you take. When you start working you are apart of the real world and in the real world no one is going to hold your hand and pick up the slack for you. You have to be responsible for yourself and the actions you take. Working on a job is not a play thing even if its the dollar store its still a job that should be taken very seriously especially since money is involved which could get you charged with a crime. I don't think you are mature enough to work yet and should just focus on your studies until you have matured and can understand your responsibilities in the work place.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:51 PM

433 posts, read 1,369,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
They don't call current employers unless you give them permission, at least in the US. As long as you're employed there, I wouldn't bring this up at interviews. I'd say you are looking for more hours, less hours, etc.
I don't think you understand what I'm asking. I'm talking about the next few day(s) leading up to Saturday when the head office guy is there to tell me what happened. If I still get to be employed there, why would I bother bringing this up in interviews??

Old 01-19-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
I don't think you understand what I'm asking. I'm talking about the next few day(s) leading up to Saturday when the head office guy is there to tell me what happened. If I still get to be employed there, why would I bother bringing this up in interviews??
You shouldn't. You shouldn't ever bring this up at interviews regardless of what happens. Never.

Unless you found guilty by a court, you don't talk about this at an interview.

And I offered explanations you can provide for why you are looking for another job.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,617,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
If no one is caught on camera taking the money then I think you are going to be fired. They have to keep putting you on the schedule until the head person gets the paper work together and serve it to you personally for you to sign agreeing to your termination. $200 is nothing to sneeze at not to mention this is not your first shortage. I also agree that you were being irresponsible and even if someone else is stealing from you, you make it possible by not being attentive to what you're doing. No one should have to tell you to lock your drawer when you're not using it, no one should have to tell you to sign your name, date & time on the envelope of your deposit and push the envelope all the way in the slot so its no longer visible. You may not be stealing but you are enabling the person who is stealing.

Its not right for someone to be taking your naivety for granted however YOU are responsible for the actions or lack thereof you take. When you start working you are apart of the real world and in the real world no one is going to hold your hand and pick up the slack for you. You have to be responsible for yourself and the actions you take. Working on a job is not a play thing even if its the dollar store its still a job that should be taken very seriously especially since money is involved which could get you charged with a crime. I don't think you are mature enough to work yet and should just focus on your studies until you have matured and can understand your responsibilities in the work place.

^^^^^ this.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:59 AM

433 posts, read 1,369,344 times
Default Another update

So there's a bit more somewhat-interesting news...

Last night before my shift started, I had to sign a warning, not about the missing cash but because I didn't follow company policies about writing down my name and the times I made deposits on the deposit paper. The head office has seen my deposit paper from that day and this is my first warning before a final warning concerning properly writing down what has to be needed for a deposit.

The cameras are still being checked. But they made the conclusion that I didn't steal the money. I honestly don't really understand how they're still being checked, but came up with that conclusion (not that I did steal it). Does it make sense to you guys? The cameras are being checked for "every minute" of that day, as my boss told me.

My boss also made changes for the weekend shifts. I don't know if it's because of this situation or not. I didn't ask him, but I'm assuming it is. Everyone's break time for the weekend already has a fixed time, made by the boss. The breaks can also be checked through the cameras. Also, everyone's tasks for the weekend have also been fixed the day before by the boss.

One last thing, someone from the head office can come in the store, go to the cashiers and ask to see their deposit papers to see if they're properly written. We get a warning if they aren't.

So what do you guys think? Why do you guys think it's taking so long to find the thief? Maybe because they're not spending alot of time a day checking the cameras, and they're doing their other daily tasks? Is there a possible way(s) the thief found a way around the cameras?

Old 01-21-2012, 08:09 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,657,286 times
Anything is possible. Going through security camera tapes takes time. Suggest you worry less about what might happen and worry more about what you are doing on the job in order to follow the rules you've been given. Your job is obviously precariously teetering on the line.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:16 AM

I'm glad to hear they have determined that you aren't stealing. Cameras don't catch everything. Just be glad the cameras cleared you. There are procedures to catch thiefs without cameras. The changes to the schedule and the tasks is to help them isolate the thief. By moving around schedules and tasks, they can identify who is where when cash is missing. Eventually the thief will be the common denominator. Keep quiet about what you know. You want the thief to feel comfortable to continue stealing. That's how he/she will be caught.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:22 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,958,337 times
Make sure to follow procedures 100%. Warnings are serious business. Take your break precisely when it was scheduled, even if it means making a customer wait in line a few seconds for a relief cashier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment