U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-14-2012, 05:44 PM

432 posts, read 499,627 times
Default What the heck do I do?? Cash register missing $200!!!!

Yes I am freaking out right now and I was even about to cry when I got home. No, I'm not joking. I seriously wish I was. The cash register was balanced at $100 at the start of my shift. But you know what? There's something new in this new story. The $200 that was missing is from my deposits.

The boss doesn't want us leaving all the money we make all day inside the cash. Some robber can come in the store and demand it (that's the reason they told me at least) We have to make deposits with every 50 and 100 dollar bill. The management does not want to see them in the cash register. We also have to make deposits of $100 with 20 dollar bills when we have enough of them. One of the deposits I made of $200 was missing. It was even written on the deposit papers that I had made that deposit.

Some of you guys were saying in my other thread about the missing $80 that someone could be stealing from my cash to get me fired. Now that I think about it, I think it's true. Why? Because now that I take my code off my register every single time I leave it, a deposit is now missing! Seriously, now the deposits!!

There was a question I asked in my previous thread that never got answered. Do you guys think it's possible that there aren't really cameras watching above the cash area, and management only tells us about it to scare us into performing better, and some stealing employee is aware of this and taking advantage of it? Just because they're a keyholder (manager on duty) doesn't make them innocent, right? One of the keyholders is responsible for taking out the deposits from the drawer at the end of the day. I swear it could be her!!! I swear I didn't accidentally hand out deposit money to a freakin customer...

The being pissed off and yelling about the shortage and spending an extra half hour could have just been an act when we all found out about the shortage, right? Imean, everytime there's a large shortage we have to recount our cash and if it's a big enough shortage we have to call the boss. The keyholder calls the boss on her cell and spoke to him for abit, then handed the phone to me and I spoke to him. I told him I didn't understand and if I can pay the $200 (this was before I had most of these thoughts of employees stealing) and he said it didn't work that way and he would have to ask the head office.

Tomorrow, the boss is obviously going to be there and who knows what'll happen. Do I tell him all these thoughts about stealing employees and the cameras? Do you guys also think it's possible to perfectly act out being pissed and yelling? And in my mind, shouldn't stealing deposit money something that can be caught on cameras? Can't cameras even catch me making a deposit and see even exactly what happened to the money? I know it's impossible for cameras to catch giving too much extra change to customers, but can't this be caught??

Help, advice, tips...anyone?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 05:48 PM

79 posts, read 155,368 times
With all of the topics you make about cash register shortage. I am amazed at how you still have a job at this store. I know a few people where there job is on the line if they are short on the cash register every time

Old 01-14-2012, 05:51 PM

8,681 posts, read 7,283,506 times
Someone there is stealing.

Obviously they are taking advantage of you, and it's going to come down on you. If I were you, I'd be proactive and be the first one to tell the boss about the shortage, and I'd tell him my suspicions. You need to take this bull by the horns.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:55 PM

Location: If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
12,345 posts, read 5,034,604 times
Considering the number of times you've posted and gotten advice here...1. it doesn't seem like you're learning much or adjusting your behavior...2. part of me is thinking you're just making this stuff up for attention. If this stuff really is happening, you should find another job and quit as soon as possible - nothing is going to change there and there seems to be dysfunction at that workplace and on your own part.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Someone there is stealing.

Obviously they are taking advantage of you, and it's going to come down on you. If I were you, I'd be proactive and be the first one to tell the boss about the shortage, and I'd tell him my suspicions. You need to take this bull by the horns.
So you think I should go in earlier tomorrow? Like as soon as the store opens (which is 2 hours before my shift starts)? I know that the same keyholder will be there before the store opens. I don't know when the boss will get there though. What difference does it make who's the first one to tell him though?

Old 01-14-2012, 06:15 PM

15,330 posts, read 13,025,062 times
Look for a new job and hope you are not prosecuted for theft. Good luck.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:45 PM

3,116 posts, read 3,796,788 times
Before you panic too much, have you really checked out area where you drop your deposits? Really investigate and see if maybe the envelope got hung up. It is very possible for an envelope to get caught, or a check to get stuck, or even cash to slip behind. Just pull everything out, and really take a good long look. I've seen all kinds of things stuck in the back of a cash drawer, or behind - so it's worth taking a look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
What difference does it make who's the first one to tell him though?
It makes a big difference. People who are innocent want to get the bottom of something like this, and prove their innocence. Someone who is guilty will want to lie low, and hope no one makes a big deal over it. Maybe no one will even notice.

If you are innocent, then you need to be the first one in there tomorrow morning, and provide every bit of info you have, to help figure out where that $200 went. Because it did go somewhere, and if you don't have it, then help them find it!

Old 01-14-2012, 06:49 PM

2,273 posts, read 2,333,103 times
Sure sounds like someone is stealing. I've never worked retail but it seems to me the internal controls would dictate whomever receives the deposit from you should have to sign for it to account for the money not being in the till.

At any rate you will be looking for a new job. There is no way they will keep you on with a 200 dollar loss.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Before you panic too much, have you really checked out area where you drop your deposits? Really investigate and see if maybe the envelope got hung up. It is very possible for an envelope to get caught, or a check to get stuck, or even cash to slip behind. Just pull everything out, and really take a good long look. I've seen all kinds of things stuck in the back of a cash drawer, or behind - so it's worth taking a look!
Wanna know something else? The envelope that I put $200 in was empty when we were all counting the money. So the envelope was there, it's the cash that was missing. This was even acknowledged when we were counting. I had made 4 deposits in all, 3 envelopes with cash in them and one that was empty. There's no way I put an empty envelope in the deposit box, wrote down that I deposited $200 and then did God-knows-what with the cash... Does this sound even fishier now??

Old 01-14-2012, 07:34 PM

41,710 posts, read 46,215,761 times
If you look at my post in your other thread, you will see that I warned you that its possible management is stealing from you.

When you say it was written on the deposit papers, do you mean papers you filled out or the cash office filled out?

If it's on their paperwork, they can't blame you for it being missing because they should count it when they log it.

I hope they find it. I agree you should go in early to help get to the bottom of it.

It's possible you haven't been fired because the manager suspects someone in the cash office. But maybe not.

The weirdest thing about what has been happening to you is that you havent been fired.

I also think you should look for a new job. You won't qualify for unemployment if you are fired for stealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment