Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 11:13 PM

89 posts, read 240,163 times

Advertisements

seems like pay is going down yet the responsibilities section of a job ad will have like three people's jobs listed as one. triple the work for less pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 11:30 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
I've been thinking the same but I know somewhere that this is a fact. Jobs, multiple jobs that have been cut down to just 1 person doing the same work 4 people used to do. It is part of the reason there aren't enough jobs today. In a way its understandable. Anybody with a computer today does their own typing. That cut a lot of work for people like me. Today I learned that 3 people I know have lost their jobs.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:32 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
Oh, definitely. For example, "secretary/receptionist" jobs I've seen advertised typically encompass both a secretary's responsibilities, expect experience in umpteen software packages, as well as answering the phone and covering the front desk. It will, however, pay a receptionist's salary, as close to minimum wage as they can get.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:34 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
As long as companies try to get by with fewer employees to keep afloat, and as long as people are out of work, this will continue. Those already working are expected to take up the slack when there are layoffs, but most of the time for the same decent pay. No need to pay new hires that much as long as there are so many of them desperate for work. Companies may even lay off people then immediately hire replacements at lower pay. Unfair as it seems, many of them have no choice or would close up. Others are simply taking advantage to increase their profits.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:40 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,179 times
All this plus they always say they want a "self starter"

Old 01-19-2012, 10:02 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
LOL OHHH yah, for instance...the "Receptionist/bookkeeper/DBA/Tech Writer/Web Design" all in one for a whopin' $10. an hour. A real DBA or Tech Writer wouldn't work for less than $30-40 an hour.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:34 AM

370 posts, read 1,365,847 times
I was just talking to my husband about this. In his field they want the purchasing person to do shipping AND inventory now in many of the ads.

If you want to be an administrative assistant, many ads expect you to also do payroll AND accounts payable and receptionist...

However bad, though, I think it will improve. People HAVE to retire eventually. The population is shrinking. New jobs are developed every day. Many jobs do not exist that will in the future. We have to hope to ride it out.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:37 AM

370 posts, read 1,365,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
All this plus they always say they want a "self starter"
The funny part about this, if you look around, there are plenty of goofballs, lazy people, and incompetents still working or getting jobs every day.

A good deal of finding a job is timing and luck.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:39 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
I was just talking to my husband about this. In his field they want the purchasing person to do shipping AND inventory now in many of the ads.

If you want to be an administrative assistant, many ads expect you to also do payroll AND accounts payable and receptionist...

However bad, though, I think it will improve. People HAVE to retire eventually. The population is shrinking. New jobs are developed every day. Many jobs do not exist that will in the future. We have to hope to ride it out.
I saw an ad recently for an administrative assistant that required a college degree. When will these companies realize not everyone is college material?

Old 01-19-2012, 02:20 PM

14 posts, read 37,860 times
Yes, there are plenty of jobs now, where one person is expected to do three or four people's jobs at the same time. It has been that way for some time and has just gotten worse over the past few years. Ironically, there are some people who seem to hang onto jobs without doing anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment