Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 05:07 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

I was hired by a bank, a year ago, that was circling the drain, at $10. an hour with super good medical benefits, which I needed for myself and my husband, and at age 62. I was new to the area, without connections, and I was glad to get it.
The bank was recently acquired by a healthy bank which offered me the same job at $11.50 an hour, and also good health insurance. Still glad, and relieved.
Now, the bank has promoted me 2 steps up, because they need to fill the slot, but at no raise in pay. Their argument is that I have not proved I can do the job yet. Unspoken is that the branch is the first in our city and most likely will not be profitable for years.
I am conflicted. My nature is to always do the best job, over and above what is expected, yet I feel used.
I am not sure what my attitude should be...the ever responsible doormat and team player, or should I make waves? I could make as much on Social Security, but have 2 more years til Medicare. The DH has his own coverage now. I really enjoy having a job and the interaction with customers.
My boss is new also, and the new ethos is sales and quotas.
On the one hand, my role is thankfully out of the sales frey, but on the other, as I said, I'm good enough to fill the job they need, yet not good enough to pay. I do not know for sure, but I would bet the farm that an entry level Teller Leader, is paid more than a Teller I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 05:16 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
I would ask them what you need to do to prove that you can do the job and when they will give you the corresponding pay increase--preferably in writing. One of my employers had you work in a new position for a month before you got the pay raise. Of course, all of this was contingent on a review by your superior.

Alternatively, my current employer has been giving "promotions" without a corresponding step up in pay. From what I hear, they never increase the pay. These "promotions" are awful--much longer hours and big headaches. I politely and carefully decline any kind of increase in responsibilities, but I have a side business so, while I don't want to lose this job, I can survive without it.

Good luck

Old 01-19-2012, 05:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Is the new position exempt from being paid overtime? Just curious.

It's a super tough call. You really are lucky to find a job with great medical benefits at your age. I'm not discriminating. Those days aren't far ahead for me. Since you've been there a year, you could start looking for another job at a more stable bank. If you don't feel you can find a teller job at another bank, try to put yourself into the mindset that you're there for the health insurance.

Did you take this promotion without discussing pay? Did they just announce one day that this was your new job without asking you if you wanted it? Can you turn down the promotion and stay in your previous position?

Old 01-19-2012, 06:28 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,312 times
You have to decide what is most important to you. Banks are always hiring Tellers so with you having over a year experience, I don't think it would be hard for you to find another Teller job with a different bank. I personally do not take "promotions" without increased pay, at my last job my manager kept wanting to promote me and I told him I wasn't interested because I knew I wouldn't get a pay increase but increased responsibility and that was unacceptable. I ended up quitting because I would have been forced to take the "promotion" whether I wanted too or not.

I say look for employment with a different bank until you come across a better situation then quit however at your age you have a pretty good situation...so I would think long and hard before going elsewhere. At your age I would think the benefits would be more important than the pay and its not uncommon to have to choose between the 2.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:40 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
That is the nature of the employment market. Use and abuse.

Yes, you are being taken advantage of.

If you make waves, and want more money, you may be demoted, and they will put someone else in the position. At your age, I would tread very carefully.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:25 PM

632 posts, read 1,180,271 times
IMO, a bank would not promote you two positions if they didn't feel that you were not worthy and or proven yourself. The issue with pay is tricky, however, I would talk to an HR rep or another employee and get their take and how they approached the subject of getting a raise or on how to ask for a raise.

You may also want to consider talking to your supervisor after a few months on the job and ask for a performance evaluation (if they don't do one) and ask for a raise citing your situation and why you deserve a raise in the first place.

As a disclaimer, I'm not an expert (I'm still a college student working retail) but this would be my advice to you. Hope it works out!

Old 01-19-2012, 08:53 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Where I work the only way people get raises is based on position description, and job duties. Perhaps you should look at job duties you perform, and write them all out in a list, and request a meeting with your supervisor with this information.

How much more an hour do you think you should receive?

Old 01-19-2012, 09:04 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I would be looking for a definitive answer on what would be needed to "prove" you could do the job and get a raise. Personally it sounds like BS to me.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:41 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
You could take the position work it for a year or so then jump ship to another company that will give you the corresponding pay increase.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:46 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
You could take the position work it for a year or so then jump ship to another company that will give you the corresponding pay increase.
This is good advice because your resume will show you were promoted after working there for a year, and you'll have a year of experience in your new position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment