Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 05:48 PM

97 posts, read 326,590 times

Advertisements

What is the most mundane, repetitive, soul-sucking job out there? Have you ever had such a job? What did you do to combat the hours of boredom?

I'm stuck in a job now where my job description consists of staring at an Excel form on a computer screen, day in and day out, week in and week out, and it's driving me insane. It's the epitome of a dead end, boring cubicle job. I don't hate it - in fact I'm grateful for the income - but the income is the only thing I'm in it for (and it doesn't even pay well, just enough to get me by). I am a creative person and LOVE all things outdoors, and being stuck indoors with no windows all day is torture. I'd jump at the chance to do something a little more inspiring. But...I'm a recent college grad, and you all know how that goes in today's economy - you take what you can get, because "hey, it's a job!" I try not to complain, but man, there has to be more to life than this.

I think that, truth be known, there are very few "cubicle workers" who truly enjoy their jobs. As one poster on this forum once noted, when your 4th grade teacher asked the class what each child wanted to be when he or she grew up, I'm pretty sure not one said, "I dream of working as a paper pusher in the accounts payable dept. of a company!" For most in the cubicle farm, work is literally a means to an end, and nothing more.

My co-workers, on the other hand - unless they are really, really good at faking it, act like they eat, sleep, drink, and breathe their jobs. They regularly come in extra early, work late, work through the holidays from their home computers, and can't stop talking about work even while at lunch. God bless them. Either they are really good at faking it, or they live really boring lives.

Anybody else in the same boat?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 06:01 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,817 times
Anything in accounting.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:02 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,103,013 times
I'd take that job and love it in a heartbeat were I qualified for it.
You're at least home every night or day and regular, non-work activity is easier to manage than where I'm currently at.

To each their own, but while I find the job you hate being an attractive one for myself, my current job is the pits for me.

Sure I get to drive through all sorts of different places, but with the ups/downs and ferocity of freight hauling, that's about all you do if you're not on some sort of dedicated or local trucking gig.
Since you're never quite sure where you'll be next, staying in good shape and eating right becomes more of a challenge than ever.
Depending on the states you drive through, weigh station cops can be strict to the point that something as minor a mirror out of adjustment will get you a bad "CSA 2010" score that will either keep you locked in a bad position or force you out altogether.
Then there's the unpredictable nature of dispatchers, shippers and receivers.

So if you love keeping some type of routine and having some sort of a life, or have grown more fond of steadiness like that, please stay away.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:20 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,098,004 times
"What is the most mundane, repetitive, soul-sucking job out there?"

Proofreading mortgage documents. I suffered through this for several years. NO, boss lovers, I was NOT "lucky to have that job."

"What did you do to combat the hours of boredom?"

Downloaded better, faster browsers and ad-blocking software. Shopped for shoes on Zappos. Caught up with my bicycle forum. Listened to music on my iPod. Checked my email. which I had routed/forwarded through the company's email. Played Freecell. Downloaded Scroogle, which is a search engine which doesn't leave tracks. Read the NYTimes, Reuters, and Salon.com. Tried to waste as much of the company's time as they were wasting of my braincells. I believe I got the better of the deal; and some great shoes from Zappos!

Old 01-20-2012, 06:34 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,398 times
anything in corporate america where u sit in a cube and become a lifeless clone. will suck the life out of u then spit it back in your face.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:51 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Southerner View Post
). I am a creative person and LOVE all things outdoors,

Anybody else in the same boat?
Sounds like a little soul searching is in order and it sounds like you're still young and unattached--what do you really want to do? Can you do accounting for the farm bureau or the forestry service? For an all-inclusive resort on an island somewhere? Join the Peace Corps? Well you know where I'm going with this--sure the economy is poor now but it will get better so the planning stage should be now.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:58 PM

771 posts, read 1,395,103 times
Telemarketer, I did that as part-time for a few months while searching for a good job. I wanted someone to shoot me. Not only is it mundane and boring, but you also get treated like **** on top of it.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:09 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,345,372 times
yeah anything that is boring AND they treat you like cr*p, and pay you jack squatt... is the worst! Boring but well paid would be tolerable. Boring and working with nice co-workers good. Boring but flexible hours OK. Boring with nice office with a window OK too.
Places of work just do not understand that they have to throw you some kind of bone... places that do not - cannot be surprised when their company becomes a revolving door for employees.
yes I worked in an extremely boring job for 2 years - it was the only job I could find. It was about all I could stand. I eventually talked them into letting me work a 4-day week because I was about to lose my sanity otherwise. Boring AND got disrespected on a daily basis and extremeley stressful, underpaid, with lots of responsibilities.
Finally got promoted out of it into a different department. AND I did my own creative work on the side, at home, and on lunch break.
Keep looking for a new job, it will make you feel better. YOu will find one eventually.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:27 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
Toll booth operator, or garage parking collector. I often pay my "dues", and think "There but for the Grace of God, I could be doing that job"...I would hate that job, sit in the same cube, for hours, smelling exhaust fumes, giving change. I can't think of a worse job. My job, even on the worst days is not like that. I do a variety of tasks, and am pretty much self directed on what I want to do.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:45 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times
Y'all have clearly never seen the show How It's Made. The show is 90% about how machines make almost everything but there are always a couple of drone workers doing exciting things like putting bags into a box or disposing of scrap pieces of wood, plastic, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment