Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 12:43 PM

38 posts, read 251,594 times

Advertisements

The one office type job I applied for, I did not ask to see where my office would be. However, after the interview they showed me where my office would be just in case. Personally, right now I would be happy to have a job, even in the boiler room, and without meeting the coworkers first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 05:04 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Quote:
Who cares where you are stuck once hired?
Well considering that just one factor in your work environment--daylight or views--can improve a person's work performance by 50%, I would think most people would care.

And that's not including other factors like your proximity to necessary work tools and your coworkers, acoustics and speech privacy, a properly ergonomic workspace, control of air flow, humidity, and temperature, adequate and proper lighting, et cetera......

Old 01-23-2012, 07:44 PM

162 posts, read 886,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Back when I was a full time HR Manager, I was always shocked how many people accepted a job without ever meeting their coworkers or seeing their future work environment. They never asked if they would have their own office, or would share an office with others, or would have a cubical.

The interviews were all done in the conference room next to the receptionist so the potential new hires never saw the area where they would actually work.

This was during the economic boom when jobs were plentiful. It seemed strange to me that people did not seem curious where they would be working. Some people would accept a job without even visiting the building they would work in becuase the interviews were done at the corporate office. To me your working environment is the key to your success.

What do you think about this? Would you ask to see your actual work environment before accepting a new job? Would you rather share an 12 by 12 office with someone, or have a cubical?
When I found a job that had everything that I wanted, on the 3rd interview I asked to see the office that I would be in. That was the clincher for me, it was a good size with nice windows and felt homey. I wouldn't mind working in a cube but definetly like my unshared office. I met all of my co-workers, manager, HR rep and office manager in my 2nd interview so I already knew I like them. My office is very into making everyone a part of their working family which is a far cry from my last company. It was a nice change of pace and I wouldn't have accepted any job unless I knew I was comfortable in the environment.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:48 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
I didn't ask but they showed it to me and introduced me to everyone during the second interview. I work in a very small office, though (people-wise).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment