Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 02:54 AM

35 posts, read 58,787 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm ranting again, but want to ask a genuine question about a concern I have.

Seeing the question asking about craigslist got me thinking, I see so many companies that are just totally useless and it boggles me why there's so many and why won't it just stop?!?!?

It used to be, you worked for, let's say.. a company that makes bridges, so cars can pass the river.

Or the company building, homes, or roads, or good food we all love.

Now, it seems, all those 'required' things are done. We have every bridge we need. Every road is built. Every car and tank and airplane and medical device and communication device is built.

So now, why aren't we just USING the stuff, and enjoying it?? Instead, we still have this urge to keep building...

Now, we're in a phase where, people are just starting companies for money out of some automatic need we have to keep making more. It's like when you finish a marathon yet you still keep running. Okay, I get you need to "warm down" but if you're still running 2 weeks later I think you're psycho.

We don't say, hey our society is missing X, so let's make a company to provide X (X being.. the basics, infrastructures, defense, housing, transportation, food, clothes, and MINIMAL entertainment (hey.. life needs to be more than just the required, right?) )

But now.. jobs, are like 99% of the "useless junk" variety.

Like, making purses. Or, just a new style purse. Like, a japanese themed purse company. That'd be cool, wouldn't it??

Or, cookies, that are really no different than any of the good ol classic cookies, only these ones are "green".

Or, iPhone apps. Whole companies all for making some cartoon on your iPhone.

That's about 98% of companies you find now.

The useful companies, like Boeing, city gov, maybe Caterpillar, Coke, Sony, who provided things we consider of true value... have made the things we "need" already.

So all that's left are excess companies.

Like, see those emoticons below? <-- These guys right here

Well, there is a company, who soley makes emoticons. I mean, you go to COLLEGE to end up making emoticons.

that's your life goal. Not figuring out new heart surgery techniques. not building a more stable bridge that can resist earthquakes.

Emoticons.

that's what our society has come down to. Making these guys.

All your money put into college for your kids... That's where they end up.

There's a "customer service" job for the emoticon company. There are HR and accountant, for the emoticon company.

It's all I see. I wanna at every job listing I find.

At what point should we just STOP???

How about, we just use the results of all those other companies that we built, and ENJOY it??

go on a trip to hawaii.. make use of Boeing, and the hawaiian Tshirt business. Those business are of value.

We don't need MORE than that.

It's kinda like, when the party is over, but one guy still wants to party???

Just end it bro!!! The party was from 8 to 2. It's now 4 am, and you're still trying to party?!?!?

STOP!!!!

This is what's wrong and I hate it with America. OUr need to keep building, due to FEAR THAT SOME OTHER COUNTRY WILL BUILD MORE AND OVERTAKE US AND THEN BOMB US.

We have this need to stay competitive simply to remain #1. Because, of FEAR. It's all FEARS!!!!

Why can't we stop?? And smell the roses?

It'll never stop. America is like the Lakers. Not satisfied with 3 championships. Already begins planning for next years draft.

Hey, I guess this is what happens when you're on "the winning team". You can never simply stop and enjoy the rewards of your achievements.

It's ironic. Because, the meaning of life IS TO lavish in achievements, otherwise WHY ACHIEVE????

Why cook a good meal if you're NOT GOING TO EAT IT???? You cook it simply to stay #1 and flaunt it in front of all your competitors .. but you never eat the result of your own cooking. Meanwhile your competitors are basking in their "2nd place" food but actually having time to sit down and eat it. And it taste good. And they can relax and have a beer afterward, watching you not having time to eat but having to instead think of "the next recipe"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 07:27 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
I will only address the bridge issue. This country has ignored the problem for too long and will be in trouble if the infrastructure issue is not addressed. Remember the I 35W collapse? More are coming, and that's without upgrading the bridges to handle increased traffic.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:18 AM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times
Along the same line of thinking, look at comapnies such as "FaceBook", Zynga and Groupon.

Facebook will be nothing more than an advertising company albeit very targeted advertising. The claim is that the company is "worth" 100 billion dollars. In order to have a true wroth of 100 billion dollars it should have earnings (not revenue but real earnings) of over 6.5 billion dollars a year if you used 15x earnings. Lets be generous because people are stupid and value this company as a "growth company" and say 25x earnings- it would still need to have earnings right now of 4 billion a year. Since it isn't public yet there are no earnings reports but it is a pretty safe bet they are not earning 4 billion a year.

Zynga is a comapny that makes games for facebook. (you know- farmville & Mafia wars ect...) It recently had an IPO and currently the market values it at 6.36 billion dollars This is a company that had NO earnings, sales of only 829,000,000 . The stock is selling for over 7 times it SALES whereas it should be selling at most 15 times its earnings. Its earnings for the year are a loss of (180,000,000). Sure, the company could probably grow but I question the value of priducing free games for facebook.

The third rediculous company on my list is Groupon. Its current market valuation is 13.3 billion dollars. Its earnings are a LOSS of (686,000,000).
The company earns its revenue by pursuading business to run special sales which it earns fees from the merchant. The entire concept is trash although since it is a new concept it is working right now. The problem is that these groupon customers rarely return to the business as repeat customers. The groupon customer is a "one time" customer that is looking to get a deal. What make using groupon even less attractive for a business is that not only do you have to offer deep discounts to groupon customers, you also have to pay groupon. Most businesses end up taking a loss on the groupon with few repeat "full price" customers.

The problem with America is we no longer produce a net economic surplus. It used to be that manufacturing and resources dominated the top earning businesses, now it is dominated by finance. We have masked this decline in production by increasing debt. Since 1980 GDP has grown on average by 4% while debt has been growing by 7%. We can't continue, it is all a ponzi scheme.

I almost spit up my coffee when I learned Zynga had a market valuation of over 6,000,000,000. A freaking company that makes "farmville"????

Old 01-22-2012, 09:05 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times
Tell it to Bill Gates when he was tinkering in his garage. Wouldn't it be nice to go back to home delivery by the milkman in glass jars on the porch or maybe just Black and White television and no cell phones or computers? Albums vs. CDs? These are just improvements and progress.

Why not just allow one company to build something? It's called Monopoly and they could charge millions for a $1 item without competition. Just look at basic services you use everyday or products you buy. Without competition you'd pay a fortune.

Third. Things break down. Planes, bridges, roads, cars, televisions, computers. They all need to be fixed or redone at some point. If only one company did it imagine the time and expense.

Fourth. Just look up the word "Mafia."

Old 01-22-2012, 02:04 PM

134 posts, read 367,438 times
You really need to stop spacing every single line you type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment