Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 06:24 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,992,742 times

Advertisements

Well I didn't get the state job, but my temporary job (2 1/2 months) starts on Feb 1st.

Everything I've read about turning a temporary job into a permenant position says to state your intentions to your manager. My question is should I tell her the first day or give it a week or two?

I'm thinking I should give it at least a couple of weeks, 1) I know if I like the job and 2) show excellence in doing the job.

What are your opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 06:46 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,857,412 times
Don't tell her on the first day. For exactly the reasons you state.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,227 posts, read 80,425,063 times
Make sure to establish credibility as a valuable employee before bringing that up.

There are fewer temporary jobs turning into permanent these days, as more employers handle an increase in work with temps to avoid having too many people when things get slow. We currently have temps in my group,
but no openings. If in fact we did have an opening, they would have to compete as it would be opened to the public, and in fact none of these temps would qualify. We require a lot more education and experience than
what the temps usually bring. This is more likely to be the case at a public agency. In private industry there is more flexibility in hiring. We did recently hire someone that worked for us as a temp, but he had been recently laid off and had the experience we needed, and beat out the other applicants.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:56 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,361,025 times
Most temp jobs will never turn permanent. Employers are abusing the temp system to have disposable employees that they don't have to give benefits to. By using agencies they are shielded from employer laws.

One agency sends me emails advertising that 20% of their temps get permanent positions by it. That is not encouraging.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:21 PM

78 posts, read 376,247 times
I think it its better to not say anything and let your manager tell you instead. I got my current paid temp job that way, i was unpaid intern and i never expected my manager to tell me they will promote me to a paid temp

Old 01-22-2012, 01:28 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,361,025 times
The only thing to do is take the temp job for the paycheck and keep searching for a perm position.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:45 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,395,317 times
Wait at least a month while you prove yourself to the employer. Once you show you are a good worker, maybe they will be able to keep you, maybe not. But if you aren't a good worker, you are gonzo when the contract expires.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,227 posts, read 80,425,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Wait at least a month while you prove yourself to the employer. Once you show you are a good worker, maybe they will be able to keep you, maybe not. But if you aren't a good worker, you are gonzo when the contract expires.
It won't take that long, with temps if they are not a good worker they are let go immediately. We don't put them on contracts, and when using an agency we just call and have them send someone else.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:07 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,544,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If a temp isn't a good worker they're gonzo that day.

OP, as others have said say nothing. This is most likely just a temp assignment, do your best, and down the road you will probably hear discussions or be asked about a full time position, if there is one.

But PLEASE don't bring it up when you start, they might actually laugh at you or call the agency and complain.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:38 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,992,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
If a temp isn't a good worker they're gonzo that day.

OP, as others have said say nothing. This is most likely just a temp assignment, do your best, and down the road you will probably hear discussions or be asked about a full time position, if there is one.

But PLEASE don't bring it up when you start, they might actually laugh at you or call the agency and complain.
Well there isn't an agency involved. One of my professors got an email from a contact at the company asking if he knew any students that would want a temporary job.

I will wait before broaching the subject to the manager. She and I used to work at another job together, so maybe that'll help, or not, either way I'm gaining some good experience to go with my degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment