Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 12:39 PM

38 posts, read 251,594 times

Advertisements

Since I'm not having any luck hearing back from retail jobs, I decided to try temporary job agencies. However at both of the ones here, I wasn't even allowed to apply for any jobs until I have more experience. (I was going to apply for entry level warehouse and school cafeteria positions).

Has anyone else had this happen to them? It seems even the basic jobs aren't so basic anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 02:58 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Temp jobs used to be for people without experience, references, or just did not have a great background. It allowed them to build references and work history and enter a field and companies weren't to fussy because if the temp was bad they dumped him/her with one phone call and got someone else.

Things have changed and companies are abusing the system by using temps for long term work where they should hire a permanent employee. They are demanding the same level of standards and screening as direct hires. It is just another symptom of how sick the country is and how abusive and slimy companies have become.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:28 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
"both of the ones here"....? Are there only two? My experience with temp agencies is that you have to try a lot of them before you find one that will work with you. Last time I was between jobs, I went to a half-dozen temp agencies who all slammed the door in my face, before I found one that would even give me the time of day.

I agree that the landscape has changed. These days, staffing agencies have their files full of resumes from people who have oodles of experience and are desperate for anything. So the competition is stiff and they just don't need people who don't have any.

Keep trying, and good luck.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:46 AM

39 posts, read 156,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
"
I agree that the landscape has changed. These days, staffing agencies have their files full of resumes from people who have oodles of experience and are desperate for anything. So the competition is stiff and they just don't need people who don't have any.

Keep trying, and good luck.
I often read the job openings posted by the temp agencies...Yes, they require you to have many years of experience...

I signed up with three temp agencies, hoping that I would get some accounting job...Two of them never offered me any job...One called me about some job which I turned down...

I had NO accounting work experience when I signed up with those agencies...

I was hoping that those temp agencies would help me get experience in accounting. But, that turned out to be a wishful thinking.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:29 AM

370 posts, read 1,365,688 times
If you rely on them, you will be waiting a long, long time, especially without experience.

Most temp/staffing firms just want a body to put on the books and you will not hear back from them.

If you have no experience, go door to door at businesses and try to get hired yourself. It's better to hit the pavement then wait for someone else to 'maybe' find you a job.

They also like to lure people with the HOPE of a job.

I was with one firm and they would email and call me about this FANTASTIC job--I would get back to them for more info and they'd say okay and I would NEVER get another reply or more info...

Old 01-27-2012, 06:29 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times
What benefit does a temp agency get from having a "body on the books"?

Old 01-27-2012, 07:11 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
The temp agency wants to find the cheapest marginally qualified schmo to send to the client so they can charge the client the highest rate possible and pay the person doing the job the lowest amount possible.

They also like to flood the office with people because they get the names and numbers of managers from references and they will always ask where you are applying/interviewing so that they can find out who is hiring.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:12 AM

370 posts, read 1,365,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
What benefit does a temp agency get from having a "body on the books"?
It makes the recruiter/agency worker look good to the boss. At least they are marketing the company, hopefully fishing for leads they can snatch away from the job seeker.

I've had experience with being asked by agency workers "where else have you applied?" and so have others.

Company X has a job for $30/hr. You apply.
Recruiting company gets wind of it. They offer a deal with company X to 'get someone for them' and they get a cut and the job (via the agency) is now reduced to $15/hr...

This is not made up stuff. Reality.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:53 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I stopped applying to temp agencies a long time ago. If I relied on them for work, I'd be homeless.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:16 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
They are more focused on people who they can place easily. What is a definition of a person who can be easily placed?

1. Qualified for jobs they have in their system or willing to work for cheap-lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment