Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 12:55 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,111,447 times

Advertisements

I hate to say it, but sometimes those bridges burn themselves.

I watched as a former co-worker gave his two-week notice only to be walked to the door with some foul words. Apparently our boss took his quitting as a personal insult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 01:51 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,088,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post

I watched as a former co-worker gave his two-week notice only to be walked to the door with some foul words. Apparently our boss took his quitting as a personal insult.
All one can do is be professional, And give proper notice. That said, Walking someone out the door with "foul" words and taking it personally is NOT a sign of professionalism, management skills, or self control. A good manager would at least want to know why a valued employee is leaving, And look for another to take on the responsibility if he/she needed to find a whole new replacement. The ship still has to run regardless, And you cannot steer while in a rage.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:42 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,516,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post

But that's one among many reasons that people often don't give two week notices anymore. It's a thing of the past. Maybe in very high level places, they give notice but in an average "Joe Scho" place, no. You give a notice, they tell you to get lost and you don't make money for two weeks. In a hurt economy, you don't want to lose 2 weeks of pay. That's an entire paycheck. You think Joe Schmo would give a "2 week notice" if he decided to fire you one day? If you know Joe Schmo is a jerk like the one above, he is definitely not going to give you a positive reference, even if you work like an angel. Some people are just nasty miserable *******s. So yeah, I would just resign with no notice if the boss is miserable and will impede your future growth/success somewhere else.Some people are spiteful pieces. Why give them an opportunity to f* you over. You know they'll do it so why be dumb and "give notice?"

Old 02-20-2012, 03:55 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,932,730 times
OP, Your message is spot on. There is no gain and potentially big loss from burning bridges. Too many are focused on emotional payback, when bridges provide, in actuality, the far more valuable, rational gain. The minute one gets emotional about a workplace situation, all is lost. Payback, aka burning bridges, is 100% emotional, and 0% rational.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:56 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,088,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
But that's one among many reasons that people often don't give two week notices anymore. It's a thing of the past. Maybe in very high level places, they give notice but in an average "Joe Scho" place, no. You give a notice, they tell you to get lost and you don't make money for two weeks. In a hurt economy, you don't want to lose 2 weeks of pay. That's an entire paycheck. You think Joe Schmo would give a "2 week notice" if he decided to fire you one day? If you know Joe Schmo is a jerk like the one above, he is definitely not going to give you a positive reference, even if you work like an angel. Some people are just nasty miserable *******s. So yeah, I would just resign with no notice if the boss is miserable and will impede your future growth/success somewhere else.Some people are spiteful pieces. Why give them an opportunity to f* you over. You know they'll do it so why be dumb and "give notice?"
We can not always predict how one will react 100%, But in larger companies finding out how others were treated during their notices could be a predictor. Also, I imagine you may be able to start work at the new place sooner as a possibility. Where I work, everyone that gave notice was treated well and worked till the end. Including a close-long term coworker. My last job from 98-05 the company was going under so it did not matter at that point. I still gave notice. left a week later. I mean, it was over for everything anyway.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:27 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,516,977 times
Of course nobody can predict how someone will act 100%. However if someone has been working at a place for 6 months or more, that person (if he has decent IQ can can read social cues) usually can figure out who gives good references and who doesn't. Sociopaths are pretty easy to notice in a workplace, if one is there 40 hours a week or more. They can't hide who they are for long. Once in a while we all get at least one of these "creatures" as boss or superior. I believe in giving notice if you are positive that you will get a decent reference.The boss is benefiting from you giving notice therefore you should benefit as well. The boss owes you a good reference if you were a good employee. In most large companies, they won't let you stay the 2 weeks as they're paranoid that you'll "do something" to them - this has become the trend lately.

So to say "Never, ever burn your bridges" is really stupid. Sometimes you have to burn them..for your own good and well being. I am skeptical of any "Never do this" or "that" advice. Life situations vary for different people in a variety of circumstance and there cannot be any social or natural law that will cover them all under one blanket.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:57 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,927,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Of course nobody can predict how someone will act 100%. However if someone has been working at a place for 6 months or more, that person (if he has decent IQ can can read social cues) usually can figure out who gives good references and who doesn't. Sociopaths are pretty easy to notice in a workplace, if one is there 40 hours a week or more. They can't hide who they are for long. Once in a while we all get at least one of these "creatures" as boss or superior. I believe in giving notice if you are positive that you will get a decent reference.The boss is benefiting from you giving notice therefore you should benefit as well. The boss owes you a good reference if you were a good employee. In most large companies, they won't let you stay the 2 weeks as they're paranoid that you'll "do something" to them - this has become the trend lately.

So to say "Never, ever burn your bridges" is really stupid. Sometimes you have to burn them..for your own good and well being. I am skeptical of any "Never do this" or "that" advice. Life situations vary for different people in a variety of circumstance and there cannot be any social or natural law that will cover them all under one blanket.
I still say never burn your bridges. The worst that can happen is you ask them for
a reference later on and they say "no". The best that can happen is they help you
get a job. If you burn your bridges, then you know the answer is going to be "no".

As bobtn said today, there's no gain to burning your bridges, and potentially great loss.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:56 PM

392 posts, read 703,268 times
And what if OP published that shoddy paper? Why do you think your boss would think more highly of you?
With that published paper, you would have let the world know for eternity that you were a hack researcher.

The proper thing to do is make a rational decision and not an emotional one. Sometimes it may be beneficial to burn a bridge, though exploding them is more fun. Depending on the level of abuse you have endured, turning the other cheek only works for divine men and is corrosive to one's soul and confidence.

If your only goal in life is wealth and materials without regard for your dignity and soul, then by all means take your beatings and head back out into the fields.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:05 PM

771 posts, read 1,391,432 times
You also never burn your bridges because it's a small world. The current new job I just got, one of my new supervisors is married to an ex boss of mine and I didn't know that until the interview. Can you imagine if I would have burned my bridges with him how bad it would have looked to my new supervisor? I am pretty sure I would have never gotten this job. In a variety of industries a lot of people know many other people. If you ruin your reputation it can be very very bad for you.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:47 AM

495 posts, read 683,409 times
Wow you guys are programed with corporate propaganda.There are absolutely times I would NOT give a two week notice.If it would prevent me from taking a better position, as in "we need you to start in two days", 'ok see you in two days'.Or as others have already mentioned, if your sure your old job will not let you work out your full two weeks because of ego or that you might do something.My last job at a call center was like that.The manager rarely let anyone work a few days let alone a full two weeks once they gave notice.And I don't buy this its a small world stuff.Sure sometimes stuff will get around to other hiring managers but that happens far less than people think it dose.And lastly there is the liabilty issue employers have to consider.Even the question 'are they eligible for rehire' is being fazed out of most employment checks for fear of litigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment