U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 10:40 PM

1,421 posts, read 929,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Isn't emailing a thank you letter the same day as the interview restating why you are a good fit for the job enough assertiveness? Especially when you are told when the hiring decision will be made before the interview is over.
Seriously? No!

It reeks of the text message generation that sits behind a computer typing text to one another thinking "we're socializing!"

"Hey it's soandso, I'm just calling to see if you made a decision about the position I applied for yet?"

That 2 minute phone call isn't a root canal or taboo. Even assuming you don't get the job, it puts you in their mind and will help grease the wheels next time you apply..

Wouldn't you have felt better going into the interview having previously spoke to the hiring manager, showing your interest, and that you're determined enough to keep up with the position and apply for it again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 10:50 PM
FBJ

32,732 posts, read 20,981,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
Seriously? No!

It reeks of the text message generation that sits behind a computer typing text to one another thinking "we're socializing!"

"Hey it's soandso, I'm just calling to see if you made a decision about the position I applied for yet?"

That 2 minute phone call isn't a root canal or taboo. Even assuming you don't get the job, it puts you in their mind and will help grease the wheels next time you apply..

Wouldn't you have felt better going into the interview having previously spoke to the hiring manager, showing your interest, and that you're determined enough to keep up with the position and apply for it again?
I guess we can agree to disagree because I could never call the interviewer after the interview when I was told when they would make a decision. If they want me they know where to find me.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:03 PM

15,931 posts, read 27,802,651 times
Maybe Target didn't get the amount if holiday business they expected? Some stores had poor holiday sales. They would not have told you to give them as a reference if they didn't mean it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:19 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,023,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Because that's what employers do and it's no need to waste mental energy thinking about it because you can't change it. I don't plan to contact the company at all I had a interview with 2 days ago. I sent my thank you email and I;m done. If they want me they know where to find me.
well it pisses me off so much, so much it makes me feel like punching the hiring-manager's lights out for doing that, i hate how people just can't be blatantly honest with you, as in i hate how people have to be so damn subtle, they always have to use non-verbal hints.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
You do know the point of a job interview right?

Also, if your HR person told you specifically that you could use Target as a reference, that shows that you can keep it on applications. I don't think a bad reference from Target is hurting you. You're in your mid-twenties and your longest job lasted three months and you can't put it on applications because you were fired, that could be what is hurting you.

What has been suggested in the past for people who lack necessary job experience is to volunteer. You can put volunteer experience on your resume and it will look better than nothing.

Also why did you spend four years at a community college and not obtain a degree? An associate degree is a two year degree.
yeah what pisses me off, people have a right to be frustrated, pissed off when they keep applying at so many places and getting rejected all the time, not getting any responses back, that ought to make some people give up on their job search for a while, and i did volunteer last year in 2011 and i still use them as a reference, but now it looks like i'm gonna have to go back to it again, and why does it have to matter to an entry-level job if a person has no college education? those employers require a degree, so it should not matter if a person has a college education or not.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:49 AM

20,535 posts, read 22,567,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
Also why did you spend four years at a community college and not obtain a degree? An associate degree is a two year degree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
... and why does it have to matter to an entry-level job if a person has no college education? those employers require a degree, so it should not matter if a person has a college education or not.
Your whole attitude is one of anger and resentment and entitlement which is not going to further you in the job market. Even if the job market were strong, your complete lack of experience (one job lasting two months in four plus years) hardly makes you stand out and particularly not now when degreed applicants are fighting for even entry level positions. Four years at a community college and you didn't even come out with a degree of any kind at all? Do you seriously think that this sort of record makes you a viable candidate?

As I said before, you've obviously managed to get by with no income for literally years so somebody is supporting you. Maybe you should be putting your energy into learning a trade (you could even get someone to take you on as an unpaid apprentice) instead of moaning about how lousy all employers are and expecting that they're all supposed to cosset you.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:54 AM
FBJ

32,732 posts, read 20,981,704 times
Quote:
well it pisses me off so much, so much it makes me feel like punching the hiring-manager's lights out for doing that, i hate how people just can't be blatantly honest with you, as in i hate how people have to be so damn subtle, they always have to use non-verbal hints.
The only time they will be completely honest with you at a interview is if they feel you have no experience related to the position. I tried to apply for a payroll position years ago and was told before the interview was over..."you are not a good fit for this job"

Old 01-29-2012, 12:56 PM

246 posts, read 351,818 times
Quote:
Yeah something tells me that Target's Human Resources have not been completely honest with me, it makes me wonder why did they not fire, terminate me instead? I had perfect attendence at Target, I swear i was never late, i was always on time literally, it makes me wonder why i was released, it pisses me off when people don't tell you or give you feedback why you got rejected, or were let go, released, basically in all aspects of life, because mistakes are a part of life, mistakes are supposed to be learning experiences, i want to know what it is that i did wrong so i won't make the same mistake again in the future.
How many REDcards did you sell at Target? How many Great Team Cards were posted by other employees about what you did outstanding at Target? I found out that working at Target, theres more to it than just good attendance to keep from being let go.
My advice would be to get your BA degree, and become a ETL at Target. Becoming a ETL is easy to land at Target, if you have a BA degree. And ETL (team leaders), make great pay.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Your whole attitude is one of anger and resentment and entitlement which is not going to further you in the job market. Even if the job market were strong, your complete lack of experience (one job lasting two months in four plus years) hardly makes you stand out and particularly not now when degreed applicants are fighting for even entry level positions. Four years at a community college and you didn't even come out with a degree of any kind at all? Do you seriously think that this sort of record makes you a viable candidate?

As I said before, you've obviously managed to get by with no income for literally years so somebody is supporting you. Maybe you should be putting your energy into learning a trade (you could even get someone to take you on as an unpaid apprentice) instead of moaning about how lousy all employers are and expecting that they're all supposed to cosset you.
Well in life there is always a first time for everything, how does anyone expect to gain experience if nobody will give you a chance? thats why i'm so angry, pissed off, and yes, your right, my parents are supporting me. Thats why it angers me about employers wanting applicants to have experience, because nobody is born with experience, you have to get it yourself.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:14 PM

7,213 posts, read 7,457,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post
How many REDcards did you sell at Target? How many Great Team Cards were posted by other employees about what you did outstanding at Target? I found out that working at Target, theres more to it than just good attendance to keep from being let go.
My advice would be to get your BA degree, and become a ETL at Target. Becoming a ETL is easy to land at Target, if you have a BA degree. And ETL (team leaders), make great pay.
I find that very sad and disturbing that you would need a Bachelor's degree to work at Target. Unless you're at the level of a store manager or a district manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment