Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 05:49 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,711,167 times

Advertisements

Since there is no "etiquette" forum and this is happening at work, I'll post here. Please feel free to move it elsewhere that may be more appropriate.

How to handle or should I keep ignoring?

The 50 yr old woman who sits in the cubicle next to me at work does not lick her fingers, but sucks them after she eats something without utensils. She doesn't go to the ladies room and wash her hands afterwards either. Extremely disgusting. We have almost non-existent dividers between us so we all see and hear "everything." If there was another cubicle for me to move to, I would ask, but there's nothing.

My husband thinks it's quite okay to say, "Suzie, could you please not suck your fingers in front of me?" I simply don't have the nerve to say that in my place of employment and risk someone else hearing and the whole scenario being turned around where I look like the bad person.

Is there "any" way I can make this person STOP doing this? I can't believe I am actually posting about something like this, but I can't take it anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 05:53 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
I think you should just mention to HR that it disturbs you. If nothing comes out of it, you can try discussing it with her or look for another job.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:35 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,426,662 times
I understand your situation completely...the first thing I'd do is shoot them dirty looks and make sure they saw me,the next thing would be to keep a radio or something at your desk and crank it up while she's eating...the last thing would be just to arrange your eating time at the same time and leave your desk. Unless of course she eats all day and picks at it which is annoying in itself,to which you could just try #1 & 2;

Old 01-31-2012, 06:55 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Why not just talk to your supervisor alone (try to leave HR out of it). Your supervisor is the one who is responsible for the day to day in your dept.

Maybe ask if there is a rule against eating at the desks and if they would please enforce it because someone (don't have to name her) is grossing you out and distracting you from your job.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:57 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,426,662 times
I think it just sounds too trivial to actually go to hr about...she doesn't seem to be breaking any rules,unless there are rules regarding eating at your desk...

Old 01-31-2012, 07:02 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Why not just talk to your supervisor alone (try to leave HR out of it). Your supervisor is the one who is responsible for the day to day in your dept.
Sounds reasonable.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Get a big bottle of hand sanitizer. Every time she is done eating with her fingers, offer ther the hand sanitizer in a friendly, helpful way. If she declines simply say, "Since your fingers were in your mouth, I'm sure you don't want to spread germs to the rest of the office." You only have to say that once. Even if she still refuses, continue to offer her hand sanitizer in a friendly manner whenever she is done eating. If other coworkers are complaining too, suggest they do the same. She'll either stop shoving her fingers in her mouth or she'll start sanitizing her hands afterwards. Eventually. We would hope. You might not get rid of the sucking sound (buy ear plugs!), but you might reduce her germs in the office.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:22 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glastron_79 View Post
Since there is no "etiquette" forum and this is happening at work, I'll post here. Please feel free to move it elsewhere that may be more appropriate.

How to handle or should I keep ignoring?

The 50 yr old woman who sits in the cubicle next to me at work does not lick her fingers, but sucks them after she eats something without utensils. She doesn't go to the ladies room and wash her hands afterwards either. Extremely disgusting. We have almost non-existent dividers between us so we all see and hear "everything." If there was another cubicle for me to move to, I would ask, but there's nothing.

My husband thinks it's quite okay to say, "Suzie, could you please not suck your fingers in front of me?" I simply don't have the nerve to say that in my place of employment and risk someone else hearing and the whole scenario being turned around where I look like the bad person.

Is there "any" way I can make this person STOP doing this? I can't believe I am actually posting about something like this, but I can't take it anymore.
Is she Indian? I know my folks do this a lot. Sucking the fingers and licking it off, especially the Brahmins

Old 01-31-2012, 07:23 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times
If somebody kept trying to force hand sanitizer on me, I'd tell them to go fly a kite.

Unless licking you fingers is against company policy, mind your own business,

Old 01-31-2012, 07:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
If somebody kept trying to force hand sanitizer on me, I'd tell them to go fly a kite.

Unless licking you fingers is against company policy, mind your own business,
They're just being helpful and friendly. Nothing wrong with that.

It's really no different than offering breath mints to people with stinky breath.

They might refuse them but you keep offering them with a smile on your face.

Seems strange to be upset by people who are being helpful and friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment