Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:05 AM

475 posts, read 1,370,966 times

Advertisements

Is she eating ribs or chicken everyday or something? I can't figure out why someone would need to suck their fingers every meal, unless it's ribs or they don't use utensils. Ask her first to solve the issue before going to someone else. Notes are tacky. The longer you wait it will make it worse. You may have waited too long because then she'll realize she's been annoying you for a long time and feel worse, or that she has done something else wrong and your just being a jerk. If talking to her doesn't help, get headphones for this or join in. Get your own big sloppy meal and play along. Make lots of noise like "MMmmmmmm.....soooo goooood.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 10:13 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Maybe make a joke out of it and see if she takes the hint? For example the next time she does it, smile, roll your eyes, and say loudly enough for her to here: "Oh there's Suzy sucking her fingers again!"
That is beyond demeaning and insulting, not to mention childish and immature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
In life, one will find a lot of people that have habits or manerisms that they do not care for.

Get over it - there are far more important things to be concerned about.
Underscore. Amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
He always always always talks with food in his mouth! I cringe whenver he does it. I say to him all the time, why are you doing that? He is just like I don't care. And he doesn't stop. I wish there was something I could do about that . . .
You could not look at him and mind your own business.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:19 AM

819 posts, read 3,208,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

You could not look at him and mind your own business.

Well considering he is talking to me, that is not gonna help. But thanks for trying to be a smartass.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:04 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
Well considering he is talking to me, that is not gonna help.
Sorry; I didn't realize the issue was that he was talking directly to you. But seriously, when he is talking to you directly, don't look at him. Look at the floor or at your hands or at the wall. You could always say (politely!): "I'll be happy to discuss this with you when you're finished eating," or something like that. And then turn your back, or get up and leave, or whatever. Wait until he's done to continue the conversation. Hopefully he'll get the idea.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:50 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
You desk jockeys get torqued up about the most trivial nonsense and you're so passive-aggressive. Keep your nose to the grindstone and you won't notice what the drone in the next cubicle is doing. Either that or man up and tell the offender "Hey *******, quit lickin' your goddam fingers around me, what are you, a goddam pig?!"

Old 02-01-2012, 08:51 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If you have to, get your own bottle of hand sanitizer and use it every 10 seconds on your own hands. Wipe down your desk 10 times a day if you must. But leave her alone and mind your own business. Use headphones if you can't stand the noise, or go elsewhere when she is eating. Do not go to HR; she's not violating any rules and you'll just seem like a whiny tattle-tale.

This.

I am utterly fascinated with some of the topics on this forum sometimes.

So your coworker licks her fingers-- is she licking your face? Is she digging in her ass at the desk? Is she licking the keys on your keyboard?

If it bothers you that much man up and say something polite to her about that it seems unsanitary to you-- and would she mind maybe using some hand sanitizer.

Going to HR, to your supervisor, or to anyone else BUT the person who is disturbing you is wussy. I find it even worse to "offer" the hand sanitizer aka the old breath mint trick. It is passive and wussy. You don't have to be rude about the licking (just like you don't have to be rude to someone who has bad breathe), you can still get your point across in a civil manner.

Just be prepared and aware that she is not breaking any corporate policy-- so she may tell you to pound sand and you may have a more tense working environment.

Or she could graciously comply and also express to you a request for some of your annoying habits to be curtailed as well.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:57 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,933 times
Is anyone else annoyed by her? If so, a few of you might be able to make a case to your supervisor about her unhygienic behavior, and have the supervisor handle the situation.

However, if you're the only one who finds her behavior unbearable, the best thing is to try to ignore her. She's not breaking any rules. If you bring it up to her, or worse, your supervisor, you will be seen as the difficult one.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:55 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,386 times
If this is not against company policy, then this is between you and her. Going to your Sup or HR just shows you are not able to handle robust dialogue with a peer. If you wanted to be promoted in your current position, going to your sup first because you do not like a co-workers eating habits could be a black mark.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:25 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
If it were me, I'd just blurt out how disgusting it is. I'm blunt.

Or ask if you can have lick.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:36 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glastron_79 View Post
Since there is no "etiquette" forum and this is happening at work, I'll post here. Please feel free to move it elsewhere that may be more appropriate.

How to handle or should I keep ignoring?

The 50 yr old woman who sits in the cubicle next to me at work does not lick her fingers, but sucks them after she eats something without utensils. She doesn't go to the ladies room and wash her hands afterwards either. Extremely disgusting. We have almost non-existent dividers between us so we all see and hear "everything." If there was another cubicle for me to move to, I would ask, but there's nothing.

My husband thinks it's quite okay to say, "Suzie, could you please not suck your fingers in front of me?" I simply don't have the nerve to say that in my place of employment and risk someone else hearing and the whole scenario being turned around where I look like the bad person.

Is there "any" way I can make this person STOP doing this? I can't believe I am actually posting about something like this, but I can't take it anymore.

I hope you don't work in a Dr's office or somewhere that you and she are in direct contact with the general public. That is just gross and I as a customer would be completely PO'd if I found out an employee was sucking their fingers then waiting on me without washing their hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment