Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 04:44 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times

Advertisements

Good morning all. I have never had this happen as severely as it is happening right now. I work in the check out department of a drs office and it is in a fairly small, non-ventilated room..

My coworker who sits next to me does not smell wonderfully. Every time she stands up and moves or walks around I can smell her and it is not a good thing.

There is one other girl in the office as well there. The check in is a much bigger open area.

It is pretty bad and yesterday I was almost ill over it. I can imagine if it is always like this I cannot work there anymore.

What would you do? I don't want to embarrass her but I also dont want to be sitting at work covering my face all the time because I am about to hurl either... =/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 05:28 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times
Wow I've had this experience also...unfortunately it's been directed at me at times Some people just have bad days I suppose. But speaking from experience,what's happened to me is rarely the person would approach me themselves but have someone else or even a supervisor bring it up to me. To start with though you could bring in one of those small desk fans,another thing would be to bring in a can of Lysol...

Old 02-01-2012, 06:42 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Try being a chemist and working in a lab next to an organic synthesis group. All kinds of interesting smells. I am kind of spoiled a bit now. I work in a food company so the smells are usually good like maple syrup and brownies.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:27 AM

8,065 posts, read 12,779,194 times
The manager/supervisor should talk to the individual. (If they notice the odor themselves)

I worked in a job years ago and there was a young lady who had an odor problem. She was french and despite working in the U.S. she didn't take advantage of the shower as often as she could have. (still had the habit of only bathing weekly as they do in France I guess)

It wasn't too bad most of the times but in the summer her body odor was terrible. The manager had to pull her aside and discuss it with her.

Many people for whatever reason smell and I don't think they realize it a lot of the time. Although they may react badly when told they have a problem, in the long run making them aware of it is helping them. They could go for years being smelly and not even realize it.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:50 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,872 times
Agreed. BO is completely unacceptable, get a manager involved.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:20 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Um, I forget the name of the store, but it's one of those mall stores that sells scented products like soaps and lotions and stuff. The Body Shop maybe? They have one of those wall plug-ins and the scents are lovely--they actually disperse the stuff around and it makes a lot of difference. A scented candle might be nice too, esp if they'll let you burn it sometimes.

One thing I wonder though--is this a new co-worker? Or one you've worked with awhile and she's just now starting to stink? Could be a health problem developing? It's nice to know that after awhile our noses will de-sensitize and you won't smell it as acutely as you do now.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:06 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Do you know if this person is of a religion that prohibits/restricts bathing? When I worked a Books A Million I remember reading the employee manual and it said something like:

"Strong body odors are not tolerated unless they are due to religious reasons."

Old 02-01-2012, 09:50 AM

650 posts, read 1,812,186 times
Tell your boss this is a bio-hazard situation.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:09 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,015,433 times
I'm curious if this is a "body" odor like sweat or if it's a "feminine" odor. If it's the latter, maybe she's not aware of it and could use a gentle hint from her closest co-worker (you). I had to tell a young lady once that she might want to take extra steps during that time to stay clean. It was awful for both of us but it helped her in the long run.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:04 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Ok... I talked to the other young lady who works in the office with us and she has been here for five years dealing with it.. It has been discussed w her on several occasions. I am 2 weeks new to the office and I talked to the office manager about it this am and several people have complained. I told her at this point I like the job but it would be a reason I could not stay. She said they were going to have to take care of it because she likes my work and has plans for me...don't so...... We shall See...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment