Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 07:51 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,898,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It makes a big difference where you are, here the foreclosures are way down, unemployment is still high at 7.8% but much better than in 2009-2010, and lots of places are hiring. When high tech is hiring, there is more money to be spent so unrelated businesses also benefit and start hiring, from hotel staff to fast food and retail. We are seeing new home developments starting up again after a 4-5 year stoppage.
hah unemployment is around 18-22% and I know IT people out of work for a year or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 07:55 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,898,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
The Gov is lying so that Obama will look good. I live in Chicago which has a lot of mfg related jobs and I've been unemployed here since Feb 2009. I interviewed for a Tech Writer job and the company got 221 resumes for it.

I used to want Ron Paul to be President, but when I learned he doesn't like Social Security then I didn't like him anymore. All of the Republican candidates are much worse, and mostly I hate all Republican Congressman because they're all for the rich and corporations. So unfortunately, Obama is the least worst candidate for President and I think he will get re - elected. And I don't like some of the things he's done.
If Obama gets in we're doomed. I would vote for my dog before Obama. I personally love watching real economists on you tube and articles debunking virtually everything that man says

Old 02-03-2012, 12:26 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,773 times
There are plenty of commission only sales jobs and I get lots of offers for these types of jobs. And medical billing/coding is in demand. Other than that, it is a rough job market out there.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:36 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i see massive stimulus projects here. they come they do them, they are over.
they provide a quick cortisone shot to the area and then its over.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:12 AM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,225,411 times
While it's pretty obvious some are just trying to make this thread political, I'll share my recent experiences regardless. In the past two weeks I've had a huge surge in interviews-- including three consecutive days at different companies this week-- and I'm up early now in preparation for one I have in two hours. There are a lot of variables in any one person's given situation: education, work experience, skills and geography to name a few.

I have an MA, and where I live now only a little more than a quarter of all people have at least a Bachelor's degree. The unemployment rate is relatively low here as well, though I've had interviews in other cities with higher rates. However, I learned some new skills to give myself a more competitive edge, and prospective employers took notice when I applied.

Without knowing much about the OP it's hard to tell exactly what is going wrong, but he or she may not appear competitive enough in comparison to other candidates. My father sits around and blames Obama for not being able to find work, and constantly reminds me of his long work experience... though (and no exaggeration at all in this claim) he needs help applying for jobs online because he can't figure out web sites, doesn't know how to type, can't use the MS Suite, and only recently learned how to go to various sites on the internet, as he thought all sites in the world were in the drop down menu of the browser.

My point with that anecdote is that he can grouse about who's in office all day, but he won't go take classes to learn even basic applications as he thinks his merits are sufficient. Therefore, he isn't making himself any more competitive because he thinks he doesn't need to know how to use them. So, the OP should either pay attention to what he or she needs to fortify him/herself, consider moving, or just wait the rest of it out.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:14 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
I'd love to know where these hot spots of new jobs are. The govt. just announce 250,000 people got new jobs last month?

Old 02-03-2012, 07:32 AM

8,063 posts, read 12,779,194 times
I find it disturbing that people believe a change (sort of) in political "leadership" is going to change our economy.

The cause of our failed economy can be summed up in one word. DEBT.

Since 1980 the economy has grown on average 4% per year while all debt in the economy has grown by 7% per yer. This is overall debt in the economy. Simple math tells us this can not be sustained.

Currently our politicians are attempting to replace private demand with public deficit spending. This is a short term "fix" that only delays the inevitable contraction in out economy.

All this policy has done is kicked the can down the road one last time. You will remember that the "bailouts" were initiated under the last administration. The "stimulus" was under this current administration. To say one of the political parties is more responsible than the other?

This is the problem: We are GOING TO have our depression. The actions thus far have only drawn out the economic pain in an effort to bail out the corporations that donate money to politicians. It was political debt paid with the public treasury. They said "We can't let the banks fail". Why not? We need a method to efficiently accommodate commerce with payment systems but it doesn't necessarily have to be Bank of America or Citit group. Sure, letting the banks fail would have been very painful BUT that pain would likely be over by now.

Our current situation is this. Private demand has dried up. The ability of most Americans to add debt is gone. They no longer have a "Home ATM" they can use to live beyond their means. The government can not continue borrowing% of what it spends to replace private demand. Our debt is already over 100% of GDP and we are very close to where Greece is.

There are only two ways out of this box and both will cause a contraction in GDP.
Cut spending- The government needs to cut 1.6 trillion in spending today in order to stop digging the debt hole. That is a direct hit on GDP of over 10%, if you add the multiplier effect of that money no longer being in circulation it will more likely be a hit of 20 to 25% to our GDP.

Increase taxes- This will have a very similar effect on GDP, the money will be extracted from our economy and reduce GDP.

Most likely we will have to do a combination of these two in order to get it under control.

Now, back to the thought that "if only the other party was in control"....WTF up people. The republicans and democrats have been sharing power for a hundred years. They are the ones that got us into this mess to begin with. HOW ON EARTH CAN YOU CONTINUE VOTING FOR THE SAME TWO POLITICAL PARTIES AND EXPECT DIFFERENT RESULTS?

The republicans are only concerned about gaining power, they are going to tell you anything you want to hear in order to fool you into voting for them.

The democrats are only concerned about retaining power, they are going to tell you anything you want to hear in order to fool you into voting for them.

Don't fool yourself into thinking either political party can fix this.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:08 AM

625 posts, read 952,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
The Gov is lying so that Obama will look good. I live in Chicago which has a lot of mfg related jobs and I've been unemployed here since Feb 2009. I interviewed for a Tech Writer job and the company got 221 resumes for it.

I used to want Ron Paul to be President, but when I learned he doesn't like Social Security then I didn't like him anymore. All of the Republican candidates are much worse, and mostly I hate all Republican Congressman because they're all for the rich and corporations. So unfortunately, Obama is the least worst candidate for President and I think he will get re - elected. And I don't like some of the things he's done.

Did you say that you have been unemployed since February 2009 or is that a typo? Didn't you say that you have an engineering degree? What happened? I thought that you would have found something by now, especially in Chicago.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:36 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous51 View Post
Did you say that you have been unemployed since February 2009 or is that a typo? Didn't you say that you have an engineering degree? What happened? I thought that you would have found something by now, especially in Chicago.
Jesse has a felony conviction for an unprovoked assault--he cold-cocked some poor old guy standing in line to get a cup of coffee at McDonald's for no reason at all.

Additionally he likes to provoke employers and doesn't have a good employment track record.

I would have tossed his resume in the shredder because he's a major liability to any employer due to his violent tendencies. No way in hell I'd hire someone who has made threats of violence towards previous employers and has a criminal conviction for assault. It's just not worth the potential for a lawsuit or personal injury.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:23 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
There are jobs and growth in Louisiana. Many people seem to just overlook the state but its excellent for small business and is experiencing a boom, even in these times. I think if people took the itme to research what's really going on here, they would be pleasantly surprised. For example, my city, Lafayette, has a citywide fiber optic network installed that is perfect for new startup high tech companies, or even existing ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment