Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 02:38 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
And retail does not offer full-time work. That's why I never understood why the job developers at my company was encouraging people to go to Macy's. That's why the company closed because the jobs they were placing people in where not jobs they could support themselves. All they cared about was the job placement number and not the type of job they were placing so many people in each month.
Actually a lot of retail offers full time, just not your typical mall stores and low end or moderate department stores. Except for managers, they are all full time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 02:38 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Why do they need to sit? I've had many jobs in retail and restaurant/bar service over the years where I didn't sit, and it kept me healthy instead of sedentary. Sitting all day is very unhealthy.

Not all retail in the US pays minimum wage. Actually quite a few retailers pay closer to $15 once you factor in bonuses. A friend used to make 1/2 of his gross income from his bonus money when he worked a retail job for $8.00 an hour. In reality he was making around $16 an hour at that job, and that's before looking at the benefits. Retail often offers other "hidden" benefits such as flexible schedules that work around educational and family obligations, product discounts, and more.

My cousin works 15 hours a week (three weekdays 10-3) at a major moderate department store. She gets a 30% discount on all clothing, shoes, housewares, even if they are on clearance. With three kids, that's a major savings every year.

I am always pleasant to shop workers, unfortunately all too often I don't get the same courtesy in return. I've had more than a few times lately where I've said thank you as they handed me my purchase they didn't even respond, let alone thank me for my patronage. People like that aren't worth $8 an hour. If I caught an employee acting like that, I'd fire them on the spot. There are plenty of people who WANT jobs.
That really shouldn't be the question. Can they sit and still do the job the same should be the question. If the answer is yes then it's a win/win for employer and employee.

If I was a cashier I'd want to sit and I'd worry about my exercise off the clock.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:41 PM

912 posts, read 1,331,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
This was predicted years ago. A major growth sector would be in retail according to 'trends' in economics or whatever they call it.

That's fine and dandy but how do you support yourself on what they pay?

I noticed in other countries I have been to (limited to Canada and the UK but still not here) that conditions are better for 'even shop people.' They get to sit at the cash register (if you shop at Aldi's which is a foreign firm here in the USA you will see this).

Shop people are not considered lowly like here in the USA. In France people are expected to GREET the shop worker and say hello and good bye. I realize this is just basic manners but even that would be nice for people earning 8 dollars and hour and busting their humps opening cartons, stocking shelves, waiting on people, listening to complaints about prices, and so on.
I have been all over Europe and I have seen this in the shops that I entered they were courteous and said goodby when I left.It maybe basic manners but,it should also show how far this country has collapsed in both manners and morals.This is just one reason I would move to Europe in a heartbeat,America IMO is threw.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
That really shouldn't be the question. Can they sit and still do the job the same should be the question. If the answer is yes then it's a win/win for employer and employee.

If I was a cashier I'd want to sit and I'd worry about my exercise off the clock.
I've worked as a cashier both standing and seated, and standing is far more efficient. In fact sitting really limits your reach and ability to bag efficiently. There's a lady who sits at my local Target, I always avoid her line because she's soooo slow due to being seated.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
I have been all over Europe and I have seen this in the shops that I entered they were courteous and said goodby when I left.It maybe basic manners but,it should also show how far this country has collapsed in both manners and morals.This is just one reason I would move to Europe in a heartbeat,America IMO is threw.
Actually a lot of retail workers in the US are still very pleasant and provide great customer service. But if you work at WalMart or similar and deal with the clientele in that store all day, there's not a whole lot of incentive to do much more than scowl.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:50 PM

912 posts, read 1,331,748 times
Quote:
Actually a lot of retail workers in the US are still very pleasant and provide great customer service. But if you work at WalMart or similar and deal with the clientele in that store all day, there's not a whole lot of incentive to do much more than scowl.

Maybe so.or it's just my area .I've had some scouls in all kinds of different employment sectors.As a side note to the OP,the US government just came out with what jobs will be hiring in the future ( and now ).

http://lifeinc.today.msnbc.msn.com/_...ont-be-by-2020

Old 02-04-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I've worked as a cashier both standing and seated, and standing is far more efficient. In fact sitting really limits your reach and ability to bag efficiently. There's a lady who sits at my local Target, I always avoid her line because she's soooo slow due to being seated.
I did in HS and wasn't much difference. You scan things, it's not difficult.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
"Shops" as in local places? Service is always nice at those places. Places that draw tourists are also nicer.

Hard to imagine the logic in determining manners and morals based on retail customer service.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
hah unemployment is around 18-22% and I know IT people out of work for a year or more.
Where is it 18-22%?

The unemployment rate for the entire nation is 8.3%

Unemployment is 6.7% where I live. In the county north of here, just 15 minutes away from my house, it's 5.9%.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Where is it 18-22%?

The unemployment rate for the entire nation is 8.3%

Unemployment is 6.7% where I live. In the county north of here, just 15 minutes away from my house, it's 5.9%.
It's around 12% officially where I live, unofficially I'm guessing it's closer to 20% as many have maxed out u/e and are still not working, but not being counted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment