U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-07-2012, 07:35 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,371,735 times
Default For Those With Two Jobs....

....how did you get a part time job without straining your current job? Also you have to make it seem to your new employer that they aren't taking a backseat (even if they are) to your main employer. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 08:20 PM

13,689 posts, read 15,678,151 times
In my case the 2nd job is a business that I have reduced to part-time, the last few weeks it's 7am-3:30pm on the job, come home, eat and work on the business orders until 9, and at least 8-10 hours on the weekend. I try to spend Sundays off but when busy I have no time to relax. Luckily my business as such that I can turn down jobs or make them wait so eventually I can get a few days off and have extra money to enjoy it. My employer new about the business when I was hired, just had to sign an ethics policy to make sure there would be no conflicts of interest.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:23 PM

95 posts, read 132,640 times
My "second job" just involves me running from bank to bank buying boxes of Half Dollars that I ordered, searching them, then changing most of the Half Dollars back into hundreds. I could completely drop that if I had to since it's on my time and I'm my own boss.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:22 PM

256 posts, read 238,953 times
I have had two jobs most of my working life and have dealt with many scheduling issues and conflicts of interest. In my experience, the best thing you can do is be upfront and honest with both employers about your situation and your priorities. If you anticipate any conflicts, discuss them with both employers to determine if they're willing to work with you. The worst thing you can do is hide the truth and get caught in a scheduling conflict, which will eventually happen. I have done both and the honest way is far less painful. Good luck!

Old 02-08-2012, 04:14 AM

370 posts, read 485,423 times
When I had 2 jobs, one ended around 4:00 and the other started 5 or was a weekend job...so the first job was M-F 7:30-4 (I believe) and then I had to work 3 shifts for the second in a week, 2 I did on weekends,

Old 02-08-2012, 06:20 AM

754 posts, read 627,782 times
I've had multiple jobs and just made sure they were at different times. One was during the day, one on weekends only, several online contractor work. I don't think they all necessarily knew about each other. There were no policies against "moonlighting" on any of the jobs. I wouldn't tell them unless absolutely necessary. It seems if you did start having minor issues, they would blame it on the second job, say you're too tired, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment