Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 10:27 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,599,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
I think you need to add a 7th industry and apply to some writing jobs. That was a well written, entertaining story.
I agree as well.

Very funny and true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 11:06 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,384,079 times
My suggestion would be for you to start a blog. With your wit and talent, advertisers would be standing in line to pay for spots on your page. Google something like "blogging for profit" for a lot of tips on how to get started.

And your post above could be your first blog entry.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:12 PM

819 posts, read 3,205,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
My suggestion would be for you to start a blog. With your wit and talent, advertisers would be standing in line to pay for spots on your page. Google something like "blogging for profit" for a lot of tips on how to get started.

And your post above could be your first blog entry.

Agreed!

Old 02-09-2012, 06:20 AM

486 posts, read 990,011 times
Thanks everyone for your encouraging comments.

Way back in 2008 when the big 'ol depression hit and I was unemployed yet again, I put up a Wordpress blog called "iguessineedajob."

For over 6 months I documented my job search on the blog, with a running tally of how many jobs I had applied to, how many interviews I received, and how many job offers. (I think it ended up 130 jobs applied, 3 interviews, 0 job offers).

I thought the blog was kind of funny in a depressing, "she can't be serious, nobody has that many weird stuff happen to them when they are looking for a job" way. I got a couple of followers on my blog, from various job forum boards I regularly posted to (Monster, Dice, etc), but that was about it.

I am also an animator (yet another wonderful "skill" of mine that employers find to be creepy and totally useless). I animated some cool gifs to put on the blog, and I also linked to my youtube animation page.

Here is the link, I don't know if it is allowed so the moderator can take it off if it isn't:

areyouguystwins's Channel - YouTube

(The page is kind of a mess, because youtube changed its format and I haven't been on it in a while to clean it up. I am just finishing up another Andy animation about the "job interview" process, that animation should be up on Youtube in the next week. It is going to be called "They Are So Mean")

Ok, getting back to my sad little story...

My old crappy employer contacted me in 2009, and I went back to work for them because I needed money and I had no other options. I took the Wordpress blog down in 2009. I signed on for a two year contract with my old employer, which is why I am unemployed yet again. (I am glad I no longer work for them, talk about a "toxic" environment).

Anyhoo...I was thinking about putting another blog up, well...just because I am unemployed and I have lots of time to kill. Perhaps do some podcasts. But, I don't know...the older I get, the lazier I get.

I do know one thing, if one can't laugh at the whole "looking for a job" process in America in 2012, you will end up going "postal" because the process is so a**backwards.

Oh, I am back searching for jobs on scammy Craigslist, only because the majority of the "job ads" on that site allow you to apply for a job with only a resume email attachment. No dreaded WALL to climb over. Unfortunately the majority of "job ads" on Craigslist are fake jobs for scammers and pathetic temporary agencies looking for the perfect person to place at minimum wage.

Blah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment