Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 05:51 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

I am shocked this judge ruled that lactation is not related to pregnancy and dismisses her suit.

Houston Judge: Being Fired for Breast-Pumping Not Sex-Discrimination - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 07:00 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,330 times
This is shocking to me. What really scares me about this ruling is that now it has left other employers open to do the same thing.

I got very lucky with the bosses I had when I was pumping. I actually told them (2 men) during my interview that I was pumping mostly so that I could make sure that this place was the right place for me. They were actually excited about it. They were both fathers and went on to talk about how they would support me to make the pumping last as long as possible. They even turned a spare room into a pumping room for me and installed a couch so I could be comfortable. I was very lucky.

I was worried while interviewing that it would be an issue. With this one ruling, we have opened up a big can of worms and now nursing women aren't as protected as they should be.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
This is very surprising and quite disappointing. I believe it was state law that mandated my last office designate a pumping room. Prior to that people used the supply closet. I hope there is an appeal.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:30 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Very disappointing ruling. I truly hope it is overturned, as it sets a terrible precedent.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:35 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Not surprising in a conservative state.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:37 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,614,645 times
I think the judge probably had no choice but to rule that way as it didn't seem that they were able to prove that her request to pump upon her return was the cause of her termination, nor does that situation fall under the current legal definition of a medical condition related to pregnancy or childbirth. Of course we all know you won't have milk to pump without having been pregnant...however it doesn't change it not falling into the legal definition.

In Texas we are a 'Right to Work' state, meaning you can be fired for any reason except for those strictly against the law.

So, for instance, if the 'return-from-maternity-leave-policy' required a written request to extend her leave past 6 weeks with the use of personal time, vacation time or family medical leave, and she only communicated verbally, then she would have legally 'abandoned her job' as stated in the article. Unless she can somehow prove they agreed and accepted her extended leave, they do not have to hold a job for her past the standard 6 weeks. Legally.

Since her leave and subsequent termination, the laws regarding pumping have changed so there has already been progress in that department. Now the lawmakers need to work to change the legal definition to include pumping in the pregnancy and childbirth related condition.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:43 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Strange. The article title says that it's not sex discrimination. That's all the article says. It doesn't say anything about breastfeeding.

Tex. Health Code Ann. § 161.071 (2001) requires the Department of Health to establish minimum guidelines for the procurement, processing, distribution, or use of human milk by donor milk banks. (HB 391)
Tex. Health Code Ann. § 165.002 (1995) authorizes a woman to breastfeed her child in any location.
Tex. Health Code Ann. § 165.003 et seq. provides for the use of a "mother-friendly" designation for businesses who have policies supporting worksite breastfeeding. (HB 340) The law provides for a worksite breastfeeding demonstration project and requires the Department of Health to develop recommendations supporting worksite breastfeeding. (HB 359)

Old 02-09-2012, 04:27 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,440 times
I hope that this woman eventually gets all back salary from this company if that is truely why she was fired. Hopefully too, this will open up and change laws or codes or whatever that need fixing!

Old 02-09-2012, 05:08 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,320,581 times
Ridiculous. As long as she does her job, pumping shouldn't be an issue for her boss!

Old 02-09-2012, 05:57 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
The only way I could see it being an issue is if the employee uses it as an excuse to take extra time away from work, like not doing it on breaks and such. But I think many of our attitudes in this society tend to be anti-family and if the conservatives are as pro-family as they claim to be, then they should take up this issue. BTW, I was a nursing mother and had no problems whatsoever with pumping at work--they even supplied the pump and I just had to buy a kit. This was 17 and 20 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment