U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-09-2012, 12:33 AM

3,311 posts, read 5,085,661 times
Default How does flex time work?

Didnt get into it at interview, but they said they have flex time. "can work 7-3, 8-4, 9-5...." was an exact quote.

Do you generally have to declare a start time and a quitting time, or is it the kind of thing where you just show up?

I mean, I would probably shoot for 7 AM, but having the option to sleep in and come in later on occasion would be nice (still working 8+ hours).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 12:48 AM

8,681 posts, read 7,426,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Didnt get into it at interview, but they said they have flex time. "can work 7-3, 8-4, 9-5...." was an exact quote.

Do you generally have to declare a start time and a quitting time, or is it the kind of thing where you just show up?

I mean, I would probably shoot for 7 AM, but having the option to sleep in and come in later on occasion would be nice (still working 8+ hours).
Usually it means that you chose your 8 hours, but they must be consistent. In other words, if you choose 7-3, then those are your hours. You can't just decide to sleep in one day and come in when you want to. For one thing, your employer will want reliability so that others on staff will know when they can plan meetings that you will attend, when to expect your work to be delivered over the course of the day, and when to start worrying about your lateness meaning you're wrapped around a pole or something.

Pick a time you think you can live with. If it turns out to be a problem, you can always go to your supervisor in a few months and ask for different hours.

It's a great benefit to have. I used to work 10-6 and loved it, while some of my coworkers came in at 7:30 and left at 3:30 and loved it. When they left, they knew they'd have articles to lay out in the morning, and when I left, I knew that I'd come in to layouts to review the next day.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:39 AM

3,628 posts, read 6,596,080 times
At my job you're asked what hours you think you mIght come in, and that's what they put in the payroll system. But generally, at least where I work, you can come and go whenever as long as you put in your time.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:17 AM

23,512 posts, read 30,966,214 times
It really varies company to company. Some want a consistent schedule, others don't care day-to-day as long as you are there during core business hours and put in your eight. Talk to you boss and ask for clarification, it's the only way to know for sure.

I'm guessing your first day, maybe even three weeks they might have specific hours they want you to be there while you get settled in. No sense having you there at 7:00 when the support people you'll need don't come in until 9:00.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:20 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,813,158 times
It basically means that the employer allows for variances in one's work schedule. That said, its simply a generic term and each organization would typically still have its own policies around it.

Some will say its flexible because you have x options to chose from, while others will say its flexible because they dont' care when you come in (or IF you come in) - they just expect you to handle your responsibilities.

And of course, the responsibilities or role can also dictate how flexible those hours can be. It can be a huge benefit if commute or family balance is a priority. I would ask more questions if you deem its important.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:08 AM

14,069 posts, read 16,413,594 times
That usually means you can vary your start and end time as long as you put in the 8 hours but you must choose and stick to a schedule. It's too disruptive to meetings and co-workers to not know when you are coming in from one day to the next.

In addition to what was described as flex time, we have a program called flex that allows you to work longer hours every other week and get another day off, usually Friday or Monday. It works out to 80 hours every 2 week pay period but in 9 days. Then also some people are on 4 ten hour days a week.
All are available benefits but subject to the immediate supervisor approval.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:46 AM

25,135 posts, read 30,803,918 times
My employer offers flex time as well; we can start any time between 7 and 10 a.m., and work our day accordingly. Most supervisors want us to come in around the same time every day.

I start at 7:30, but no one sweats it if I roll in at 7:45 or even 8 -- although if I'm not in by 9 my boss starts to worry! -- and stay the extra time in the afternoon. Most days I'm here past 4 anyway.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:02 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,818,995 times
Flex time with my employer means, your schedule can change day to day. You need to be flexible with what hours you can work for our hours of operation.

Since our version can have a person schedule change daily, we do offer a 15% differential for people on it.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:37 PM

8,785 posts, read 22,159,751 times
It does mean different things to different employers - for us it means we don't have to work the same hours, or even work 40 hours every week without fail - we have to stay within a guideline in terms of % of the year past and % of hours worked, but if something comes up and one needs to come in late or leave early, they can make up the hours later in that week or in a subsequent week.

We do have "core hours" for day shift people which is 10 to 2, I forget the exact rule, I think you have to be at work at least 3 of those 4.

At the end of the day, for us, it's not about when you are at work, it's the quality and quantity of work accomplished (research firm)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment