Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 03:00 PM

4 posts, read 21,324 times

Advertisements

Long story short, I accpeted a supervisors position from another company. My current "boss", told me I'll only have 90 minutes to spend with my replacement.

He expects me to show my replacement a weeks worth of work in 90 minutes. That's not far to the replacement nor to the people in the building in which he'll be working.

The office employees, although, never spoke to me, have expressed concerns about my replacement. They hope the new person is honest and trustworthy and worked hard like I did.

One thing that all of the women in the building felt comfortable doing was leaving their purses in their offers when they were not there. They knew if I was around, they could trust that nothing would be taken. I'm proud of that.

Any way, I told my boss, you're setting the new guy up for failure. I clean all of the executive suites and they like things and the building to look a certain way. I know what they like.

I cannot show a new guy all of that in 90 minutes.

BTW, today is my is my last day. New job starts on Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 03:05 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
Why do you care? You already voiced your opinion. Just do your best and be done with it in 90 minutes.

If you truly care, spend your personal time without pay to train your replacement then. Another way, you can ask if the current company is willing to pay you to train the new guy. If not, just be happy and move on.

I really really don't see why this is a big deal to you. Life has far more problems than this for you to worry. Look at our growing national debt, far more important than this!!!

Old 02-10-2012, 03:25 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,672,346 times
As sais, not much you can do. If you do really care about what will happen, go see your boss and tell them you changed your mind and will stay on. You should have no problem remaining since all these other folks will be standing right there behind you to tell the boss your value to them and stand in support of your remaining. But if that ain;t going to happen (you don;t want to remian or those folks really could care less who cleans the place) the only decent thing you can do is write a letter to the new guy saying good luck, they didnl;pt'g give you enough time to properly train them, you know they are behind the eight ball due to the company, and you really hope it owrks out. This way in the event the person fails, at least you gave them some ammunition to use in their defense (or to make them feel that it may not have been trie fault).

Old 02-10-2012, 03:27 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why do you care? You already voiced your opinion. Just do your best and be done with it in 90 minutes.

If you truly care, spend your personal time without pay to train your replacement then. Another way, you can ask if the current company is willing to pay you to train the new guy. If not, just be happy and move on.

I really really don't see why this is a big deal to you. Life has far more problems than this for you to worry. Look at our growing national debt, far more important than this!!!
I agree with this, and congrats on the new job.

But you posted your thread kind of late in the game, since today is your last day.

I think the comments about asking to come back and train him some more is a good idea if your new schedule permits it.

As far as the women's purses go for their protection as well as the protection of other employees, they should just take their purses with them. Men don't take out their wallets and leave them laying around.

It avoids the problem of someone saying something was taken out of my purse.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:31 PM

3,996 posts, read 5,012,231 times
I sort of agree that this isn't your concern anymore, but I do understand your hesitancy. You've worked long and hard to build a trust and level of competency and it's hard to hand over, knowing it won't be met at the same level.

The only suggestion I have for you is to perhaps write a manual of the quirky things that may be helpful to the new guy. Maybe give him your number for emergency "how do I do this" situations. He will get the hang of it or he'll get fired...not cool but not your issue.

Good luck with the new job though...I'm sure they'll feel lucky to have you!

Old 02-10-2012, 03:45 PM

39 posts, read 60,051 times
The people that are saying "why should you care"? tells a lot about you.

Thank god the guy cares about leaving things in good hands.

The issue of the pruses, guys don't leave their wallets because they are small enough to fit in a pocket. Purses are not.

Jimmy, I appreciate your sincere desire to leave things in good hands right down to the last minute. MOST people don't care, as you can see from the replies in this thread.

At this point, if you can, try to look forward to the new job and leave work knowing that you made a difference.

I would not want that blood on my hands neither. Long after you're gone, it'll be easy to blame you for "not training him" properly. You don't want to leave that legacy. I get that.

Best of luck Jimmy.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:06 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Davis III View Post
The people that are saying "why should you care"? tells a lot about you.

Thank god the guy cares about leaving things in good hands.

The issue of the pruses, guys don't leave their wallets because they are small enough to fit in a pocket. Purses are not.

Jimmy, I appreciate your sincere desire to leave things in good hands right down to the last minute. MOST people don't care, as you can see from the replies in this thread.

At this point, if you can, try to look forward to the new job and leave work knowing that you made a difference.

I would not want that blood on my hands neither. Long after you're gone, it'll be easy to blame you for "not training him" properly. You don't want to leave that legacy. I get that.

Best of luck Jimmy.

Regardless of the fact that purses are more cumbersome, it is in everyones best interest if they're not left lying around.

All it takes is someone saying money was stolen out of my purse(whether it is true or not) to create drama.

And if Jimmy wanted advice he shouldn't have posted on his last day, there had to be at least a week(most likely two) of him giving notice and a replacement being hired.

One poster suggested he give the new guy his home phone number, that would be nice. If he is that concerned then go ahead and do that.

Awhile back the OP complained about how poorly he was treated by the people at this company who looked down their nose at him. If that was the case he should be thrilled to be moving on.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:52 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,898,095 times
Your replacement isn't a child. If he finds that he hasn't been trained properly, he can discuss the issue with his employer, like grownups do. It's not your business. Not your business how much training by other people the new guy gets beyond his 90 minutes with you. Not your business whether or not the building employees trust him, or whether or not more training would make him more trustworthy.

And you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:08 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,404 times
So how much training did you get from the guy you replaced?

After being treated like dirt by these people, I wouldn't care if the new guy robbed them blind.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:41 PM

39 posts, read 60,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
So how much training did you get from the guy you replaced?

After being treated like dirt by these people, I wouldn't care if the new guy robbed them blind.

I'm not surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment