Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 02:29 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times

Advertisements

I received a email today from a guy who stated he received my resume from the person I met with last week and he has some open positions. The only problem is the place where this person works is 2 hours away and I don't drive which could be a hassle especially during bad weather days.

So I left a message stating i got his email about the job openings and the number for him to contact me back but how do I let him know it will be difficult for me to make it to that area the company is located in? I mean I do plan to thank him for contacting about the opportunity but this place is very far from where I live and I would probably have to get up before 5am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 02:44 PM

370 posts, read 1,365,607 times
Is the job 2 hours away or the interview?

If it's the interview then you should consider getting there and doing the interview.

When we moved up here, my husband stayed overnight at a local motel. He's done that a few times when we were relocating and looking for work away from where we lived.

Can you do that? If you want to get a job, you sometimes have to do things that are not easy.

If you stayed in the area you can go the night before on the train or bus, sleep over, get up a 'normal' time and go to the interview.

Now if it is for a job, you have to think do I want to work 2 hours from my home every day? That's a bit nuts, unless it is a very good job. Or unless you relocate.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:54 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,231 times
You could go ahead with the interview and if you think the job and company would be a good match for you and you are offered a position, you could relocate to that area. There's a lot less expense that goes into moving two hours away vs. out of state and if you're in need of a job, you can't get too picky with your offers. This is of course depending on if you are able to easily move from your current living situation, apartment, etc.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:08 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
All the time. It's perfectly fine. Just send a reply in email to say thank you but no thank you.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
Is the job 2 hours away or the interview?

If it's the interview then you should consider getting there and doing the interview.

When we moved up here, my husband stayed overnight at a local motel. He's done that a few times when we were relocating and looking for work away from where we lived.

Can you do that? If you want to get a job, you sometimes have to do things that are not easy.

If you stayed in the area you can go the night before on the train or bus, sleep over, get up a 'normal' time and go to the interview.

Now if it is for a job, you have to think do I want to work 2 hours from my home every day? That's a bit nuts, unless it is a very good job. Or unless you relocate.
That's what I'm to confirm now. When he sent the email I was going by the location in his email signature. So I have to email back to find out where exactly is the openings located. And no I would never accept an offer to travel 2 hours to a job when I only been unemployed 2 months. Now if this was feb of 2013 then I wouldn't have a choice.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
All the time. It's perfectly fine. Just send a reply in email to say thank you but no thank you.

I have a interview with someone in the company on Tuesday and that location is 5 mins down the street. So I think for now I will just wait for that interview and not say anything.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:14 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,515,788 times
I would ask about the location of this job(s) and if they are not convenient for you then you'll need to inform him that you cannot commute and you cannot (if that is the situation) move. Don't burn any bridges. I often get calls from recruiters in Charlotte which is 2 hours away from home but they usually state the job is in my city in their first contact.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:20 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Or gee, maybe you could learn to drive.

I have a friend who got a job about an hour from where he lives, no mass transit between the two. He was able to catch rides for a month and during that time he took driving lessons and a road test. Got his license, bought a car, gainfully employed.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Or gee, maybe you could learn to drive.

I have a friend who got a job about an hour from where he lives, no mass transit between the two. He was able to catch rides for a month and during that time he took driving lessons and a road test. Got his license, bought a car, gainfully employed.
A car is not in my budget right now because I'm trying to move.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I would ask about the location of this job(s) and if they are not convenient for you then you'll need to inform him that you cannot commute and you cannot (if that is the situation) move. Don't burn any bridges. I often get calls from recruiters in Charlotte which is 2 hours away from home but they usually state the job is in my city in their first contact.
I just asked him in a email the location of the positions and now waiting on his reply. The funny thing is I have a interview at another branch of the same company on Tuesday. The guy I'm meeting with on Tuesday is who I think passed my resume to the guy who emailed me today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment