Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 04:59 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,897,990 times

Advertisements

Do companies relocate for all kinds of jobs? I have been applying all over the state for 13 months and so far nothing. So Im applying out of state, but I can't tell if any of these organizations are willing to relocate.

People must be applying all over these days? there must be allow of out of state applicants for all kinds of organizations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 05:49 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Companies will only pay relocation costs if they'e searched for a suitable candidate locally and haven't found one.

So it will depend on what type of work you are seeking and how in demand that type of employee is.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:14 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
If you apply for junior positions, no chance for relocation reimbursement. You would have to relocate yourself. Also companies prefer not to deal with out of state candidates, so you need to pretend you already live in that state. It makes job hunting an ordeal.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:38 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
Jobs for which the qualifications are very challenging to achieve and very few people have them--meaning the employer is unlikely to find a suitable candidate locally and have to look further afield to fill the position. Jobs in science in particular usually come with relocation packages.

Accepting out-of-state applications and paying relocation are two separate things. Why should an employer pay to move you?? If you want to work there, then you need to put yourself in a position where you can do that. Pay to move yourself and figure out how to get it done on your own time within the two-to-three week time frame of a typical start date. It can be done.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
CEO, general manager, CFO, the highest paying positions that are poached. In other words, they are recruited and already have the same job elewhere so the relocation is part of the package to lure them away.

That used to also be common for the hard to fill technical programmer positions and still does for the really talented sometimes but with so many out of work now most jobs can be filled locally.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:24 AM

154 posts, read 524,630 times
Relocation, especially in this economy, is always a tough sell unless the position is in high demand and there are limited local candidates. I think it is a long shot unless the position specifically mentions relocation.

If the job is a great fit then you can always offer to self relocate. That may be enough to get a phone interview if the company is intrigued by you - once you have a phone interview and mutual interest you may be able to discuss other creative ways to handle relocation.

Good luck and remember that even though you offer to self relocate in order to get a phone interview, once you establish mutual interest, you can try to see if they will help with some or all expenses. They may have a policy or original plans against relocation, but everything is subject to negotiation - you just need to get that initial introduction.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:00 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,637,659 times
Companies relocate for many reasons.

1. Not enough local talent. For example when my former company moved a large office to one of the fly-over states they were one of the first in their industry in that area-- so no competitors to draw talent from, no equivalent work skills in that employment market etc. They were very willing to relocate talent until they were able to form relationships with local universities to offer more internships, influence curriculum, etc.

2. Senior level executives. These can be everything from Director levels to C Suite executives.

3. Skill sets that are in unique industries with unique skill sets. In other words, I have seen Product Managers being offered relocation due to their skill sets in their industry to relocate to another base of operations at another company. For example, maybe a leading software company in the Northeast may want to persuade someone from Silicon Valley to move out to the east coast. Or-- an programmer in the Northeast who works in Apple's OS environments is recruited by Apple to move to CA, etc.

4. Graduates from campus recruitment at the MBA, Law, levels (not so sure about MDs I don't have experience there). Most of the folks I know who have graduated from top 20 MBA programs and were recruited by companies who took part in campus recruitment were offered sign on bonuses and relocation packages to move to other companies outside of their geographic area. The same applies with folks I know who were recruited out of law school.

5. Employees from Competitors. Maybe an operations manager at a competitor is offered a relocation package so that they can get that person and his knowledge into their company. I have seen this happen before too.

Now-- if you have generic skills or skills where the area has enough local talent to draw upon-- then more than likely you would not be offered a relocation package. For example, no one is going to relocate a paralegal, a sales rep (unless it is an extremely high performing sales rep in a very niche industry), etc. Maybe a nurse would get relocation to move to an underserved area where there are not a lot of nursing school graduates, etc.

Likewise someone working in low level IT is probably not going to be relocated (aka desktop support, help desk, field tech for an organization, lower level security), but a specialized architect, lead software engineer-- may very well be offered a relocation package based on their uniqueness (happened to a few friends of mine who were both in hardware/software engineering).

Old 02-11-2012, 10:06 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
A friend at work (post doc) is currently in the process of getting/considering a job. The co will be paying relocation costs, although it's not a far move from Boston. They just paid for a 3 day weekend for her in NYC. This co is in Jersey, but they put her up in a hotel in the city. She had a food and travel allowance for her and her boyfriend/fiance so she could tour the area to make a decision about an offer. She had a good time to boot. Her post doc is in computational chemistry. I think her PhD is in computational something. It took her almost a year of looking, tho. She's been flying all over the country interviewing while doing this post doc.

Something else, which may be nice for you to hear (you're Canadian, right?) is that she is also from outside the US (South America), so she will need sponsorship for an eventual green card. Clearly, this co is willing to offer that as well, which is especially surprising in this economy.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:12 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,897,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
A friend at work (post doc) is currently in the process of getting/considering a job. The co will be paying relocation costs, although it's not a far move from Boston. They just paid for a 3 day weekend for her in NYC. This co is in Jersey, but they put her up in a hotel in the city. She had a food and travel allowance for her and her boyfriend/fiance so she could tour the area to make a decision about an offer. She had a good time to boot. Her post doc is in computational chemistry. I think her PhD is in computational something. It took her almost a year of looking, tho. She's been flying all over the country interviewing while doing this post doc.

Something else, which may be nice for you to hear (you're Canadian, right?) is that she is also from outside the US (South America), so she will need sponsorship for an eventual green card. Clearly, this co is willing to offer that as well, which is especially surprising in this economy.
I am dual citizen from Canada. I have 2 passports and 2 social security numbers, I am now in the USA as of Dec 2010. I moved to Florida due to an opportunity in California falling through, so I got redirected to Florida. I am having no luck here. I see jobs that would be perfect in Texas and in California and sometime Arizona. I get called from everywhere but Florida the few calls I get .... ironically. I am done with this state and looking to other states.

One Buisness I am interested will relocate to NYC as the ad states, but what about other states? why not other states? I have no idea...

Old 02-11-2012, 01:29 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
I am dual citizen from Canada. I have 2 passports and 2 social security numbers, I am now in the USA as of Dec 2010. I moved to Florida due to an opportunity in California falling through, so I got redirected to Florida. I am having no luck here. I see jobs that would be perfect in Texas and in California and sometime Arizona. I get called from everywhere but Florida the few calls I get .... ironically. I am done with this state and looking to other states.
Oh, I see. Then residency doesn't matter. My friend's visa was due to expire this August, so it's good that she finally found something. Any how, it's not surprising you're finding no luck in Florida. It's supposed to be one of the more challenging states employment wise.

Quote:
One Buisness I am interested will relocate to NYC as the ad states, but what about other states? why not other states? I have no idea...
I don't know. What's your professional area? Some niches are in hubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment