Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 3,041 times

Advertisements

As usual, Murphy's Law rears its ugly head.

I haven't had work in over a year. At the beginning of last week, a friend and former classmate who works out of state called and offered a short-term (estimated 2 weeks) independent contractor position with their organization to help finish a project. I will be able to do the job by telecommuting. The friend specifically asked her boss to not go to an outside firm to hire the short-term help as they had someone in mind (me) who could do it. The friend specifically mentioned they want someone working full-time hours who is not committed to another job at the same time. The project is slated to begin tomorrow or Wednesday.

On Friday, a local temporary agency that I had interviewed with in December who said they'd likely have openings in January or February e-mailed to offer a temporary assignment position (lasting possibly 3 weeks) starting tomorrow.

I have resolved that I will not throw my friend under the bus by backing out at the last minute. But I am afraid if I refuse the local temporary job, I either won't be offered another or it will be 2 months before I hear from them again. I'm not sure trying to do both at the same time for a few weeks is really feasible - 80+ hr workweeks plus long local commute for at least 2 weeks (if the project stays on schedule), not being able to communicate with my friend during regular business hours with questions about the project, not to mention not being forthcoming about working 2 jobs when I specifically was told not to (both jobs require focus on detail).

Thoughts? I need to come up with something yesterday!

Last edited by TBBT; 02-13-2012 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 09:11 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,821,688 times
Tell the temp agency that you are sorry, but you've made a commitment to another contract, but that you are very interested in other opportunities they might have, or if you could postpone the start date for a couple of weeks you'll take that job.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:11 AM

154 posts, read 523,518 times
I would go with your first commitment. Your mistake was accepting the second commitment. Who is to say that your friend's company will not hire you permanently. Don't assume that the temp agency is the best longer term option.

You need to inform one party or the other that you cannot start tomorrow - ASAP - it does not matter if it is your original commitment or your friend's company. You need to do this now.

I would seriously recommend against going back on your word and your original commitment to take the temporary position. Integrity and trust are two of the most important aspects of an employee.

Good luck - but do not procrastinate your decision any longer!

Old 02-13-2012, 09:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Tell the temp agency that you are sorry, but you've made a commitment to another contract, but that you are very interested in other opportunities they might have, or if you could postpone the start date for a couple of weeks you'll take that job.
It isn't possible to postpone a start date for a project with this temporary agency (it is specific to a particular industry and large groups of people start a project all together at one time). I am also concerned about admitting to being contracted elsewhere with work. Thanks much for your reply.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:16 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,629,704 times
You should stick with your first committment. You should have never accepted the assignment from the temp agency. They can handle people saying they are unavailable. They can't handle people backing out of committing to them. It is what it is. They didn't call you since December. Sign up with a different agency if you think you've burned a bridge. But don't back out of that first committment!

Old 02-13-2012, 11:18 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,629,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBBT View Post
I am also concerned about admitting to being contracted elsewhere with work.
Why? People sign up with multiple temp agencies all the time. Agencies don't care if you're on another assignment. All they care about is that you show up when you say you will or be straight with them when you can't. If they know you're on assignment, they'll quickly send you out on an assignment when you call to say you are available again---because they'll want you making money for them not others. But if you already accepted the temp position, it's all water under the bridge. You should have never said you would do it when you couldn't do it.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:34 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,223,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

This. ^^^^ Always honor your first commitment. By doing so, you'll become known as reliable. Plus, if you do a good job, your friend's company may very well invite you back for more work, and keep you in mind for when there's an opening. Not to mention that your friend put in the good word for you. It's better to build a relationship with a company through networking than be seen as one of 100 anonymous "temps" that cycle through.

FWIW, sometimes I get into similar situations. I freelance, and sometimes I'll be in the middle of one project for one client, and another one will come along and need something in the same timeframe. If I can manage it, I'll take the work, but sometimes it's just too much and I have to give it a pass. It has only caused an issue once, when a client seemed to be under the impression that I was at her beck and call and got miffed when I was unavailable. That only served to remind me of why I freelance and don't work for someone else full-time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment