Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 12:03 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,574,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
They pretty much repeat the same questions over and over, but try to be slick by rewording it differently and they expect you to have an intelligent, different answer for it without repeating yourself.

I tried working during college, but when you don't have a license therefor no vehicle in a surburban area, it complicates things. lol
Is it the same manager each time, or do you see 2 and 3 different people?

You're starting to get me to not liking Target....LOL. I won't step foot in a Walmart. I like Target as a store, but that's too much to put people through.

Besides being ridiculous, it's not very cost effective. Interviewing the same candidate a few times when the manager or mangers could be doing something else is wasteful.

And then drug testing everyone? Again I could see that for certain jobs involving driving or operating dangerous machinery, but not for retail work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 02:38 AM

644 posts, read 1,143,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Is it the same manager each time, or do you see 2 and 3 different people?

You're starting to get me to not liking Target....LOL. I won't step foot in a Walmart. I like Target as a store, but that's too much to put people through.

Besides being ridiculous, it's not very cost effective. Interviewing the same candidate a few times when the manager or mangers could be doing something else is wasteful.

And then drug testing everyone? Again I could see that for certain jobs involving driving or operating dangerous machinery, but not for retail work.
They make you talk to different people. All of them seem incompetent and I kNOW I can do better than them at their jobs.

Haha, Target isn't that bad as a consumer, but it's horrible as an employee. Wal-Mart isn't any better so I've heard.

I know right? It's ridiculous that it's taking almost a month to actually get working.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:25 AM

486 posts, read 988,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
Yes sir,

I am hiring for a grill position at McDonald's.

What I need from you:

Completed application
Birth Certificate
Social Security Card
Driver's License
Blood Type
Children's Blood Type
Medical Records for your entire family
A complete family tree dating back to 1776
Car maintenance records
If car is older than 2000 model please finance a newer model and include proof
Credit history with explanations for any discrepancies
Water quality test for both your bathroom sink and shower

Please have all this documentation ready for your 7am interview on Feb 20th. Assuming all goes well we will be conducting 2nd interviews on April 9th and will send formal job offers around June 25th.

Pay is $7.25 an hour. Any questions?
Awesome post. You made me laugh today.

Unfortunately, much of what you say is true regarding insane requirements for job applicants today (especially for low paying part-time jobs).

I once went to a job interview at a public trade school (government job, woo hoo!), and the man who interviewed me asked me what kind of car I owned. Was it new? What color, make and model? (believe me he wasn't making small talk, the car question was serious.)

I thought to myself "WTH, the job was an office job. Who cares what type of car I drive."

I told him it wasn't a new car, and it was maroon.

He frowned. The interview ended right quick after that.

I guess I should have refinanced a new model before I went on the interview.

Oh, I just received a rejection notice in the mail from a company I applied to back in November 2011. The notice said they had just finished their selection process for the job and a "candidate who better fits their needs" was selected for the position.

Okey dokey, it only took them 3 months to hire a $10 an hour admin position.

Blah.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:36 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,520,053 times
Quote:
What happened to those days where all it took was a paper job application, a 5 minute talk, and a hand shake?
I don't know what your line of work is, but other than a fast food job I got when I was 15, I've never gotten a job that easy, and that was 40 years ago.

Generally, in today's economy there are more applicants to review, and since people have become less than honest there are more screening processes to perform -- background checks, etc. Usually the first interview is to screen the person's personality and compare their verbal answers to the information they provide in their application, resume, and cover letter. If they seem to be actually who and what they say they are, the second interview is with the hiring manager. Then, if that person thinks you can do the job, there are jobs where you are interviewed by the team, so they can decide if you will fit into the group.

All those things take time. If you allow yourself to get frustrated with the process, you might exhibit character traits unattractive to the hiring team, so it is best if you just relax and go with it. After all, it isn't really your opinion that matters, if you really want the job.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:44 AM

878 posts, read 1,650,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post

Unfortunately, much of what you say is true regarding insane requirements for job applicants today (especially for low paying part-time jobs).

I once went to a job interview at a public trade school (government job, woo hoo!), and the man who interviewed me asked me what kind of car I owned. Was it new? What color, make and model? (believe me he wasn't making small talk, the car question was serious.)

I thought to myself "WTH, the job was an office job. Who cares what type of car I drive."

Oh, I just received a rejection notice in the mail from a company I applied to back in November 2011. The notice said they had just finished their selection process for the job and a "candidate who better fits their needs" was selected for the position.

Blah.
Thanks. I was being half serious when I wrote it but that's pretty much what it seems like when hunting for a job nowadays. They want to know everything and then some...even for the minimum wage jobs.

They can do that I guess considering the number of applicants vs the number of jobs open.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post

Blah.
That's crazy...they checking for the types of cars you drive nowadays? SMDH I'm screwed then because I don't have a car.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I don't know what your line of work is, but other than a fast food job I got when I was 15, I've never gotten a job that easy, and that was 40 years ago.

Generally, in today's economy there are more applicants to review, and since people have become less than honest there are more screening processes to perform -- background checks, etc. Usually the first interview is to screen the person's personality and compare their verbal answers to the information they provide in their application, resume, and cover letter. If they seem to be actually who and what they say they are, the second interview is with the hiring manager. Then, if that person thinks you can do the job, there are jobs where you are interviewed by the team, so they can decide if you will fit into the group.

All those things take time. If you allow yourself to get frustrated with the process, you might exhibit character traits unattractive to the hiring team, so it is best if you just relax and go with it. After all, it isn't really your opinion that matters, if you really want the job.
Oh please....this doesn't even deserve a further response.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:28 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,015,110 times
Quote:
I feel like with every job I apply for, interview for, and wait for it takes almost a whole month just to get some feedback. As of right now my ONLY lead for a job will be Target, but I'm disappointed that it's just a seasonal sales team member job. Almost two weeks ago I interviewed TWICE in ONE day, then the following Monday I was interviewed AGAIN then I took the drug test right after and passed my background check and then I got their email about orientation, but I haven't heard the H.R. phone call. So I decided to call them instead and now they aren't going to conducting a job orientation at all this week.

What happened to those days where all it took was a paper job application, a 5 minute talk, and a hand shake? Then most of the time nowadays you have to end up calling them because employers never call you back.

I feel like I'm all alone in this situation sometimes because most of my peers got jobs so quickly.
Because we have become "Regulation nation".

We have voted ourselves into these problems simply because we ignore the Constitution and voted for our own self interest.

The rest was easy for the politicians.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:51 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,310,143 times
this current economy, recession, is starting to make me hate, despise, loath capitalism

Old 02-20-2012, 04:04 PM

20 posts, read 29,841 times
Default This is exactly true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

My new job is to recruit for both temporary and permanent placements. So I spend the day wading through as many resumes as I can stand to read in a single day looking for that elusive candidate... One who can both spell and fit the job requirements I need to fill. Candidates are either completely overqualified... completely underqualified... or possibly qualified, but I can't tell for certain because the resume is unreadable. Or maybe they could be qualified but they only want to be contacted for "serious, life-altering opportunities..." Seriously, I am not even kidding about that last one - I read it today.

And yes, most of our clients require background checks, drug tests, truthful resumes, and candidates who interview well and have a positive attitude and willingness to work.

And for the person who stated that if a person applied they are obviously interested... that - I am sorry to say, is totally NOT true. We get tons of applicants who only apply because they are sitting at the Career Link Office getting credit for active work search requirements. I cannot tell you how many get calls and decline the chance to even interview.

I have been on both sides. I have been the one wondering why on earth when I am so completely qualified, I am not getting calls. But now that I am recruiting, I understand what I did wrong.

If you are serious about an opportunity - be patient with the process, show enthusiasm, and definitely do send thank you notes post-interview (email works fine for that.) It also helps to take the time to emphasize those skills on your resume that directly match the stated job requirements. That is what worked for me - and what is working for the candidates I am now recruiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search