U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-20-2012, 07:01 PM

644 posts, read 529,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Because we have become "Regulation nation".

We have voted ourselves into these problems simply because we ignore the Constitution and voted for our own self interest.

The rest was easy for the politicians.
I must say it's ridiculous that I have to wait weeks and weeks just to get a call back to see when my job orientation is going to start. It's crazy how nobody else around me seems to be going through this, but me. Everybody I know doesn't try hard at all, no clue what their doing, and they still get jobs in less than 2 weeks. It's so ridiculous.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 07:26 PM

19,330 posts, read 7,542,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
this current economy, recession, is starting to make me hate, despise, loath capitalism
You probably always have.

You feel that it's unfair.

Unequal.

Stacked against you.

"Why do I have to struggle my way through while so many have it so easy?"

Leave America....you'll be back soon.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:13 AM

8,065 posts, read 8,669,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
They make you talk to different people. All of them seem incompetent and I kNOW I can do better than them at their jobs.

Haha, Target isn't that bad as a consumer, but it's horrible as an employee. Wal-Mart isn't any better so I've heard.

I know right? It's ridiculous that it's taking almost a month to actually get working.
That is such a waste of time. Even when I interviewed for a position at well known univerisity in CA it was a one time panel interview.

The way Target is doing that is not cost effective and foolish.

At least if they did a panel interview they could discuss the job candidate all together. By having various people do separate interviews they miss the opportunity to compare impressions that are in fresh in their mind.

I understand your frustration.

Are these people all managers? Or they allow non-management employees to weigh in?

Things have gotten way too complicated.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:30 AM

8,065 posts, read 8,669,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaldwin32 View Post
My new job is to recruit for both temporary and permanent placements. So I spend the day wading through as many resumes as I can stand to read in a single day looking for that elusive candidate... One who can both spell and fit the job requirements I need to fill. Candidates are either completely overqualified... completely underqualified... or possibly qualified, but I can't tell for certain because the resume is unreadable. Or maybe they could be qualified but they only want to be contacted for "serious, life-altering opportunities..." Seriously, I am not even kidding about that last one - I read it today.

And yes, most of our clients require background checks, drug tests, truthful resumes, and candidates who interview well and have a positive attitude and willingness to work.

And for the person who stated that if a person applied they are obviously interested... that - I am sorry to say, is totally NOT true. We get tons of applicants who only apply because they are sitting at the Career Link Office getting credit for active work search requirements. I cannot tell you how many get calls and decline the chance to even interview.

I have been on both sides. I have been the one wondering why on earth when I am so completely qualified, I am not getting calls. But now that I am recruiting, I understand what I did wrong.

If you are serious about an opportunity - be patient with the process, show enthusiasm, and definitely do send thank you notes post-interview (email works fine for that.) It also helps to take the time to emphasize those skills on your resume that directly match the stated job requirements. That is what worked for me - and what is working for the candidates I am now recruiting.
Sorry, but I know lots of people(including myself) who have dealt with temp agencies and recruiters, many of them don't know what they're doing.

Many people come into an agency with a good resume, taking the required tests, follow up, and never get placed.

There was a poster on here awhile back complaing about job candidates these days. She was placing people for $10 an hour temporary data entry jobs, you would have thought she was casting Scarlett O'Hara in a remake of GWTW.

She had dragged this out for over 4 months.

The truth is that it has gotten out of hand. Years ago if someone signed up with a temp agency they were told to report at ABC company on Monday morning at 9am, of course after interviewing at the agency, reference check, and passing software tests fro Word and Excel.

Now they have in addition to this go out onsite and interview at ABC company for a job that lasts 5 weeks and pays $10 an hour.

I know someone who had to go out twice for a data entry temp job, and this went on for over a month. They were offered the job but were so disgusted by the delay they went out and got a server job in the interim.

Come on, 3 interviews, a drug test, and 5 weeks to decide who to hire to sit and do data entry for a temporary job.

My theory is it gives people like yourself and HR depts(and the other poster I mentioned) to thinking MY JOB is more secure if I prolong the hiring process.

You never used to hear of 25 or 30 people being interviewed for some basic office job, it was 3 or 4 people.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:42 AM

5,507 posts, read 5,700,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaldwin32 View Post
My new job is to recruit for both temporary and permanent placements. So I spend the day wading through as many resumes as I can stand to read in a single day looking for that elusive candidate... One who can both spell and fit the job requirements I need to fill. Candidates are either completely overqualified... completely underqualified... or possibly qualified, but I can't tell for certain because the resume is unreadable. Or maybe they could be qualified but they only want to be contacted for "serious, life-altering opportunities..." Seriously, I am not even kidding about that last one - I read it today.

And yes, most of our clients require background checks, drug tests, truthful resumes, and candidates who interview well and have a positive attitude and willingness to work.

And for the person who stated that if a person applied they are obviously interested... that - I am sorry to say, is totally NOT true. We get tons of applicants who only apply because they are sitting at the Career Link Office getting credit for active work search requirements. I cannot tell you how many get calls and decline the chance to even interview.

I have been on both sides. I have been the one wondering why on earth when I am so completely qualified, I am not getting calls. But now that I am recruiting, I understand what I did wrong.

If you are serious about an opportunity - be patient with the process, show enthusiasm, and definitely do send thank you notes post-interview (email works fine for that.) It also helps to take the time to emphasize those skills on your resume that directly match the stated job requirements. That is what worked for me - and what is working for the candidates I am now recruiting.
What % of applicants would you say have an application(resume/references/cover) that is of good quality based on what is expected by your organization?

Old 02-21-2012, 11:24 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You probably always have.

You feel that it's unfair.

Unequal.

Stacked against you.

"Why do I have to struggle my way through while so many have it so easy?"

Leave America....you'll be back soon.
It is unfair, why does an applicants past matter to much to employers? why does it matter if they have a college degree or not especially when that type of job does not require a college-degree? as in entry-level jobs

Old 02-21-2012, 12:11 PM

5,507 posts, read 5,700,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
It is unfair, why does an applicants past matter to much to employers? why does it matter if they have a college degree or not especially when that type of job does not require a college-degree? as in entry-level jobs
Because hiring the wrong worker is a waste of time and money.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:00 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Because hiring the wrong worker is a waste of time and money.
and why do employers judge an applicant before they completely get to know him or her? it should not be too late to get experience for something

Old 02-21-2012, 01:19 PM

25 posts, read 18,974 times
B.B.C.420: If you took a drug test then you should be hired. Did they give you an offer letter with a start date? If not, call H.R. and tell them what is going on, and ask when you are to go in to start your orientation. They should be telling you what is going on.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:24 PM

25 posts, read 18,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Not only is the job hiring process overly complicated, but also itís troubling to see whose playing gatekeeper. Iíve run into some great recruiters, but Iíve had experiences with a number of ex-frat boy mouth breathers. These ones have such inflated self-worth that they view any well qualified resume as a threat.

I also believe that a number of employers are using job ads and hiring signs as nothing more than PR propaganda for jobs that donít exist. I mean no company wants to look like theyíre not expanding, plus it gives the gatekeepers something to do. They have to get something out of them right?
I agree Fargobound. There are companies that will advertise open jobs, but only to show that there is no problems with their company financially. I have seen this firsthand. I was laid off with several others due to the financial cutbacks (and outsourcing). Later I saw their advert to hire for similar positions in the same office. I talked to a friend I have still working there and she said they weren't hiring and had no intention of hiring. I told her of the ad I saw and sent her the link to it. She then asked her supervisor about it who said she had no idea why there was an ad there, but they were not looking to hire anyone.
It does cause us who are looking for jobs to waste our time to try and apply for positions that aren't open. I think it is false advertising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment