U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 03:41 PM

1,977 posts, read 2,370,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFJenn View Post

Who did you give your application to? If it was the manager, do you remember the name? Call the place and ask to speak to the manager. Don't go through cashiers, they could care less.
not only that, but they are your competition for hours etc. of course theyre not going to help you get hired. like you don't walk into a restaurant and ask a waitress if they're hiring for server positions! not in a bad economy anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 03:55 PM

2,548 posts, read 1,754,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaldwin32 View Post

If you are serious about an opportunity - be patient with the process, show enthusiasm, and definitely do send thank you notes post-interview (email works fine for that.) It also helps to take the time to emphasize those skills on your resume that directly match the stated job requirements. That is what worked for me - and what is working for the candidates I am now recruiting.

Its great that it worked for YOU, but there are many folks doing just what you stated and are not getting called. What works for one may not work for someone else, because after all, each recruiter feels differently about what he or she likes to see when recruiting. Every recruiter does not think the same way you do.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:56 PM

2,548 posts, read 1,754,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sorry, but I know lots of people(including myself) who have dealt with temp agencies and recruiters, many of them don't know what they're doing.

Many people come into an agency with a good resume, taking the required tests, follow up, and never get placed.

There was a poster on here awhile back complaing about job candidates these days. She was placing people for $10 an hour temporary data entry jobs, you would have thought she was casting Scarlett O'Hara in a remake of GWTW.

She had dragged this out for over 4 months.

The truth is that it has gotten out of hand. Years ago if someone signed up with a temp agency they were told to report at ABC company on Monday morning at 9am, of course after interviewing at the agency, reference check, and passing software tests fro Word and Excel.

Now they have in addition to this go out onsite and interview at ABC company for a job that lasts 5 weeks and pays $10 an hour.

I know someone who had to go out twice for a data entry temp job, and this went on for over a month. They were offered the job but were so disgusted by the delay they went out and got a server job in the interim.

Come on, 3 interviews, a drug test, and 5 weeks to decide who to hire to sit and do data entry for a temporary job.

My theory is it gives people like yourself and HR depts(and the other poster I mentioned) to thinking MY JOB is more secure if I prolong the hiring process.

You never used to hear of 25 or 30 people being interviewed for some basic office job, it was 3 or 4 people.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:57 PM

5,507 posts, read 5,636,434 times
Surprised people are shocked by current climate. Places have a ton of options today.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:20 PM

7,935 posts, read 8,527,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
You have to go through 3 people: first it's the team leader, second it's the executive team leader aka assistant manager, then lastly the sales manager. Each lasted only a couple of minutes minus waiting around for them.

The lady told me she would call today, she never did.
How utterly ridiculous and what a waste of time(yours and theirs).

And this was on 3 separate occasions? I bet these people other than maybe the sales manager don't even know how to interview anyone.

If they want a job candidate to talk to so many people than do it all at once in one interview.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:23 PM

7,935 posts, read 8,527,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFJenn View Post

Who did you give your application to? If it was the manager, do you remember the name? Call the place and ask to speak to the manager. Don't go through cashiers, they could care less.
It wasn't me who was applying. I said in my thread this was something that I witnessed while waiting in line as a customer at CVS.

I felt bad for the guy. After he left I asked the cashier well how does someone follow up on an application or how does a manager decide on who to hire. He didn't know.

No reason it should be this complicated for these types of jobs.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:37 PM

20 posts, read 17,606 times
Default It depends on the job...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
What % of applicants would you say have an application(resume/references/cover) that is of good quality based on what is expected by your organization?
Have found several great applicants for some of our positions and tons of unqualified people for others. We get fewer applicants for office/administrative work in our market - so the percentage of qualified applicants is much higher than what we get for general labor.

Still I always go through and read the whole resume and try to see what we might have that a candidate could be a match for, because I would want someone to do that for me. But sadly, there are some resumes that just do not reflect the experience our clients are looking for.

I agree with another poster that maybe there are some bad situations out there with multiple interviews, and consideration periods that drag on - however, it does not do the recruiter any good to spend the whole day not finding candidates to place. That does not create job security at all. A Recruiter's main focus is to find qualified candidates and get them into placements.

I WANT to find excellent people with great skills because it makes my client happy. If I don't make my client happy and send them candidates they want to interview, they don't need me at all - because there are 7 other agencies out there who will be happy do the same job for them.

Now I can't force them to hire my picks - but I will do everything in my power to help my candidates best present themselves for the opportunity in question and land the job.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:40 PM

20 posts, read 17,606 times
Default Well I guess I am sorry I tried to be helpful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Its great that it worked for YOU, but there are many folks doing just what you stated and are not getting called. What works for one may not work for someone else, because after all, each recruiter feels differently about what he or she likes to see when recruiting. Every recruiter does not think the same way you do.
Sorry to have bothered you.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:30 PM

644 posts, read 521,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
How utterly ridiculous and what a waste of time(yours and theirs).

And this was on 3 separate occasions? I bet these people other than maybe the sales manager don't even know how to interview anyone.

If they want a job candidate to talk to so many people than do it all at once in one interview.
It sure was a waste of time. These managers are so lazy, they make it CLEAR they do not like to interview people, but it's part of their job, so they are force to suck it up and do it. So these managers will only take about 5-7 minutes at most asking bullsh__ questions and rushing you out the door so they won't spend time interviewing you. I had 2 interviews in one day and the the last one with the sales manager the following Monday.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:22 PM

5,507 posts, read 5,636,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
It sure was a waste of time. These managers are so lazy, they make it CLEAR they do not like to interview people, but it's part of their job, so they are force to suck it up and do it. So these managers will only take about 5-7 minutes at most asking bullsh__ questions and rushing you out the door so they won't spend time interviewing you. I had 2 interviews in one day and the the last one with the sales manager the following Monday.
Turnover in retail is terrible and they have other pressing issues to deal with. I can easily see how a manager doesn't enjoy the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment