Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:19 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,605,427 times

Advertisements

Doesnt matter if you think of Jewish as ethnicity or religion, there is no possible way someone can be half jewish. Only a child of a Jewish mother, is considered Jewish based on the law of matrilineal descent.

As for OP, if you feel uncomfortable with this type of talk, bring it up to your manager, and if they know what they are doing, they will know how to address it and keep it confidential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 06:52 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
LOL could an agnostic in a jewish family be considered half jewish?

Old 02-15-2012, 08:21 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
How are they half Jewish?
Uh...just like how people can be half asian, half, black, half, white, half mexican. I don't understand how that's so confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
It is an ethnicity also. There are certain genetic defects in the Ashkenazi Jews, for example. However, you're also right - it's a religion also. I'm a white, Irish Jew.
Right, being jewish isn't just a religion. It's an ethnicity too.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Uh...just like how people can be half asian, half, black, half, white, half mexican. I don't understand how that's so confusing.

Right, being jewish isn't just a religion. It's an ethnicity too.

Doesnt matter if you think of Jewish as ethnicity or religion, there is no possible way someone can be half jewish. Only a child of a Jewish mother, is considered Jewish based on the law of matrilineal descent.

Hello!!!!

Old 02-15-2012, 09:04 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misiu007 View Post
I understand matrilineal descent...having a Jewish mother, regardless of the father's background/heritage is Jewish. So anyone born to a Jewish mother is Jewish...not considered a halfie. We're talking about the converse. My sister is black. Her husband is Jewish. So her children are mixed. Her husband doesn't identify as white, he identifies as Jewish. My sister identifes as black. So her children are half black half Jewish.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:14 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misiu007 View Post

Hello!!!!
I don't know why you're repeating the same thing you said above. If that's what you want to believe, that's great. I've heard that bit of info as well LONG ago & a ton of biracial people would disagree. If they want to say they're 1/2 this & 1/2 that, why is it irking YOU so much? Anyway, it's nice that numerous documents these days say CHECK AS MANY AS APPLY when they ask what a person's ethnicity is. Even way before the documents said that, people marked all their ethnicities anyway.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I don't know why you're repeating the same thing you said above. If that's what you want to believe, that's great. I've heard that bit of info as well LONG ago & a ton of biracial people would disagree. If they want to say they're 1/2 this & 1/2 that, why is it irking YOU so much? Anyway, it's nice that numerous documents these days say CHECK AS MANY AS APPLY when they ask what a person's ethnicity is. Even way before the documents said that, people marked all their ethnicities anyway.

Its because thats one of the differences between Jewish people and other ethnicities. You cannot be half-Jewish, but you can be half anything else. Get it yet?

The Mishnah (Kiddushin 3:12) states that, to be a Jew, one must be either the child of a Jewish mother or a convert to Judaism, (ger tzedek, "righteous convert"). The Talmud (Kiddushin 68b) derives this law from the Torah, specifically Deuteronomy 7:3–4[citation needed]: "Thy daughter thou shalt not give to his son, nor shalt thou take his daughter to thy son. For they will turn away thy son from following me, that they may serve other gods." This rule was clearly accepted by the 2nd century CE, with virtually no debate over it appearing in the Talmud.[1] Orthodox opinion regards this rule as dating from receipt of the Torah at Mount Sinai, but most non-Orthodox scholars regard it as originating either at the time of Ezra (4th Century BCE) or during the period of Roman rule in the 1st–2nd centuries CE.

Thus, a child of a Jewish mother and a different ethnicity father, is Jewish. A child of Jewish father and a different ethnicity mother is not. Not even half. You cannot convert to another religion half way either, concluding you cannot be half-jewish. Hope this helps.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:54 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,647 times
Ok now that the freak show has concluded, we can move on.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:12 AM

7 posts, read 5,677 times
There are several racist comments in my place of work. The comments are mostly directed at immigrants and minority races. Why so much blatant racism in the melting pot that is the United States?

Old 02-16-2012, 09:21 AM

370 posts, read 1,366,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink tulip View Post
There are several racist comments in my place of work. The comments are mostly directed at immigrants and minority races. Why so much blatant racism in the melting pot that is the United States?
It's not just in the USA. And it's not just 'racist.'

Some people don't understand (or don't want to understand) anyone different. They already have 'preconceived notions' based on stereotypes.

You can have 'regional bias' as well. I have lived in several states and abroad and because I have a somewhat (but not super heavy) NY accent I have felt people 'treated me oddly' at least until they got to know me better.

In one place they just didn't understand my 'style' of working because as a Native NY I am a very high strung, driven person. Living in a more 'laid back' place they just thought I was 'hyper' or 'upset.'

When I lived in the UK, I was 'supposedly a typical American' every time I opened my mouth. It was a heavy burden to carry, people judging your country and your 'culture' by you because you were the only American in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment