Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:09 AM

154 posts, read 524,504 times

Advertisements

You can also check with your local Junior College (if you are willing to forgo teaching High School students) - you may be able to teach topics that are more related to your original vocation and do so w/o accreditation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 05:26 PM

18,702 posts, read 33,355,095 times
I remember knowing that UMass-Amherst had an accelerated Master's program to teach math/science if someone had a relevant bachelor's. I imagine a lot of state schools might have something like that.
I don't see how a man of 55 with a son could consider Teach for America.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:56 AM

337 posts, read 408,878 times
I'm 51 and at 55 I would recommend that you stick with it. You maybe have 10 more years of work. Which means that you can only get 10 years of experience and time on job at any new career. Don't mess it up, you are probably in your best money earning years, enjoy.

IT is rough I know. I've been in it for 22 years myself and have had the same thoughts of giving it up. But at my age, what else could I do? There is no guarantee of future health either, or even of a future good job in any new area, especially in this economy.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,657,286 times
I don't have any advice where job searching is concerned but just wanted to wish you all the best and commend you for looking outside the box. I did something completely different when I was 50 and opened a restaurant which I operated for 16 years. The poor economy, an aging body (!) and some other factors over which I had no control led me to close it a few months ago and I've now got one little (completely different) sideline going and another one starting up next month. I've no doubt I'll be working until I drop as getting by on SS is impossible - but it's all part of life's adventure so go for it!

Old 02-17-2012, 08:43 PM

5,973 posts, read 13,107,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There's a teacher shortage throughout the country. If you're willing to relocate, you will be able to find a job. If you have a BS in microbiology, you should be able to get certified as a secondary science teacher. The educaiton is just over a year. States with severe shortages have emergency certification. I don't know much about that. You'll need to research that.
Would you mind then, telling us where specifically there is a teacher shortage?? Most states I know have been cutting back. Where do you live? Is there a teacher shortage there??

I would say if anything, there is usually a lag in terms of public sector jobs being affected by the economy. During 2008 - 2010, it didn't seem like the community colleges were being negatively affected by the national economy. However they have been in a worse financial state in the last year and a half.

I would have been more willing to relocate in the past, and I would be willing to relocate in the future. But I'm 31, single, and I don't to relocate to a small town environment where I might die alone, since everyones married by age 25. Seriously if you missed the boat on that one, because you were a late bloomer when it came to the social skills necessary to talk to the opposite sex, you are out of luck at age 30 if you were to live in a small town. You MUST live in an urban area to meet other unnattached people in your age group.

Thats a little off topic, and a topic more for the relationship forum, but I'm guessing that states doing well might include North Dakota or Utah, etc., etc.

You might get a job, but if you are "available" you will suffer loneliness.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:47 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,012,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind over Chatter View Post
I'm 51 and at 55 I would recommend that you stick with it. You maybe have 10 more years of work. Which means that you can only get 10 years of experience and time on job at any new career. Don't mess it up, you are probably in your best money earning years, enjoy.

IT is rough I know. I've been in it for 22 years myself and have had the same thoughts of giving it up. But at my age, what else could I do? There is no guarantee of future health either, or even of a future good job in any new area, especially in this economy.
What this person said. You can teach after you retire. How will you be able to retire if you lose the best work years you have to start over?

And in this economy, schools are cutting back too.

Think hard about giving up a great, secure job these days.

Ask some of those folks with Masters Degrees working at Home Depot or Target.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:15 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,193,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There's a teacher shortage throughout the country. If you're willing to relocate, you will be able to find a job. If you have a BS in microbiology, you should be able to get certified as a secondary science teacher. The educaiton is just over a year. States with severe shortages have emergency certification. I don't know much about that. You'll need to research that.
I would check w/ the school systems of any areas that I was considering, before moving and/or giving up my income. I think you have a few mths of research regarding the feasibility of this action, before you jump. Can you not move your family closer to your work?? Can you work less hours? You really have to give great consideration to this idea, especially since you have a youngster to yet see into adulthood. Credentials are needed for many professions, explore what, where, how. Than you'll know your real options.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:46 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,939,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I made the decision at age 53 that I could not stomach corporate life any longer. But, my skillset was in demand and paid well. I began independent consulting And took contract jobs periodically. It worked out for me and gave me time to spend more time in my real estate investing pursuits. It did not seem to make sense to totally bail out of a career that I had spent over 25 years nurturing and provided a great source of income but scaling back and giving myself breathing room was just the ticket. My income decreased by about 30% but I was working about half the hours!
Excellent! I'm looking to do something similar in the next few years.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:47 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,939,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojusensei View Post
Need some input from people that have gone down this path.

I am currently in IT in the Financial Industry. I'm tired of the grind. The pay is good but work/life balance sucks.

Always had a knack for teaching (done some private tutoring years ago, PADI SCUBA Instructor). Love basic science & math. B.Sc in Microbiology.

Would like to teach high school science/math. Don't want to go back to school unless I have to. Would prefer to get credentialed on the job if that is even possible. Would consider relocating to acheive good work/life balance. I have a son in elementary school and just want to spend more time with him. Between work & commute, it is only weekends and I'm burned out by then.

Advice, welcome.

Joseph
You have a great skill that's very much in demand. Why not become some type of independent consultant, so you can control your own hours?

Old 02-18-2012, 07:24 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,978,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Would you mind then, telling us where specifically there is a teacher shortage?? Most states I know have been cutting back. Where do you live? Is there a teacher shortage there??
Here's a link to a previous post of my that has a link to a PDF document detailing teacher shortages throughout the nation.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/22879403-post5.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment