Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:06 AM

39 posts, read 60,055 times

Advertisements

I was having a talk with one of our new managers and while we were talking one of her subordinates can over and started talking and blurted out: "Do you know why I ignored you for the last 2 days?"

The new manager's 3rd day was today. I couldn't believe this fool would say something like that. The employee that said it has a history of not using a "filter" when he talks. He just says anything that comes to mind.

I'm glad he does not work for me, he would have been gone a long time ago.

Has anyone of CD ever told their boss something like that?

Last edited by Shawn Davis III; 02-16-2012 at 12:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 06:00 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
I've never said anything like that to anybody, let alone a boss! Somebody once said something similar to me and I had no idea what he was talking about since I hadn't even noticed he was ignoring me and in fact that was exactly what I said to him. I'm not a mind reader ... It's a very immature thing to say under any circumstances. If this employee makes a habit of inserting hoof in mouth with such daft approaches his job may not last too long. If you get to know him better you could always bring it up and explain to him how unproductive it is to barge in with something like that.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:41 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,504,677 times
There is no rule saying that you have to talk to your manager. As long as you follow all of the rules, while doing your job, and meeting all of your goals then i dont see what the big deal is. I agree that it is wrong for him to say it but you dont have to have to talk to your manager, outside of work duties of course.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:57 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
There is no rule saying that you have to talk to your manager. As long as you follow all of the rules, while doing your job, and meeting all of your goals then i dont see what the big deal is. I agree that it is wrong for him to say it but you dont have to have to talk to your manager, outside of work duties of course.
I don't think the issue here was whether or not to talk to one's manager ...

Old 02-16-2012, 09:45 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
No, the issue was the idiocy of making the comment in the first place. I might say something like to my manager but purely as a joke and he would get that it was meant humourously but I wouldn't say it to someone I didn't know well. I've worked with people who are very bad at boundaries and think because they've been somewhere forever they can say anything, usually because nobody has ever called them on it. This guy needs to be taught to bite his tongue or that there will be consequences to his unprofessional behaviour.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:54 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
If I were the manager, I'd say, "I was wondering about that, because it appears as though you are disengaged from your job and lack the people skills required for the position. Let's discuss this in my office."

Old 02-16-2012, 10:22 AM

141 posts, read 304,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Davis III View Post
I was having a talk with one of our new managers and while we were talking one of her subordinates can over and started talking and blurted out: "Do you know why I ignored you for the last 2 days?"

The new manager's 3rd day was today. I couldn't believe this fool would say something like that. The employee that said it has a history of not using a "filter" when he talks. He just says anything that comes to mind.

Well... tell us... why did he ignore him for 2 days?

Old 02-16-2012, 10:31 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Davis III View Post

Yes.

I once worked for a company that was owned by a man with two sons. One son was quiet and smart. One son was loud and would order employees to do things that made no sense. For instance, he would design a new plan for the warehouse, have the warehouse change the location of all the products, and then his father would order the people in the warehouse to put it all back the way it was, because there was a system and reason for that system. When the old man would do that, he would send his son to another part of the company. And the son would have the office girls changing the filing system, or he would have the maintenance men changing their schedules, or he would re-route the delivery trucks so "make the routes more efficient". Of course, not recognizing that some deliveries had to be made at certain times didn't "make the routes more efficient", it created a nightmare where some customers didn't get their goods and other customers were irate because the driver was trying to deliver during rush hours.

When the "bad" son came to my department, I told him "no" when he wanted to change how things were done. And when he asked me why, I gave him an honest answer, because it was stupid to change things just to change things, and he didn't have a good reason for the changes he wanted. He went to his father to try to make me change things, and his father said no, too.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:47 AM

819 posts, read 3,207,280 times
I am one of the Sr/Assistants on my team. One of my employees talks to me and our supervisor any way he wants. He snaps, has an attitude, and never admits when he does anything wrong. The supervisor always makes excuses for him. Oh, he is stressed, he's young, everybody does it blah blah blah. The last time he went off on me, I walked away to calm down because he started yelling at me on the floor. When I got back to my desk I told her this needs to change and the fact that he talks to me, let alone you is not acceptable to me and it needs to be noted. Her response? Oh I emailed him about it. -_- I was out of the office last week, and he went off on her on the floor. She is too busy trying to be everybody's friend then to actually be a supervisor. If I was able to write people up, he would have been written up a long time ago . . .

Old 02-16-2012, 01:12 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times
I have disguised as something else or using tact. You can either say "With all due respect youre a (blank)" or you can say "If you werent my boss id tell you to (blank)". Its all in the delivery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment