U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-18-2012, 01:51 PM

644 posts, read 498,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
It's amazing people have different perspectives SIMPLY BASED on their own lives.

If you have a good job, well, heck the economy is GREAT and 'you lazy slobs' need to get back to work.

Didn't you 'losers' get the memo, Micky D's and Dollar Tree WANT YOU!!

There are PLENTY OF JOBS when you are employed...amazing...

If not, heck, kids, just 'get retraining and become 'rarely skilled' and you too will be on the employment gravy train. No idea how to pay for this retraining? Me either. I spent years paying back student loans and can't afford MORE training.

Ditto! If I had a great full time job or even a crappy part time job, then sure, it's the same for EVERYBODY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 04:29 PM

580 posts, read 1,098,426 times
Quote:
It's amazing people have different perspectives SIMPLY BASED on their own lives.

If you have a good job, well, heck the economy is GREAT and 'you lazy slobs' need to get back to work.

If not, heck, kids, just 'get retraining and become 'rarely skilled' and you too will be on the employment gravy train. No idea how to pay for this retraining? Me either. I spent years paying back student loans and can't afford MORE training.

I realize you're being sarcastic, but many people actually believe this is the only answer. But like you have mentioned, not everybody can afford to go get additional training. Even if you did, training isn't enough. Most places want training and on the job experience.

Where is one to get this experience if no one will hire you because you have no experience? I guess there are internships, but most people who are out of work need a paycheck now; they don't want to work for free for a year or more with the hopes of getting a paid position making what their parents were making back in 90's.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:39 PM

894 posts, read 1,269,394 times
I Sense much trollery in this thread.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:58 PM

134 posts, read 167,642 times
Quote:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I guess the four people in my immediate family (including one who is an engineer with a Master's Degree and over 25 years experience) didn't get the memo that everyone is hiring and begging for qualified people and get this...employers are willing to pay a decent salary with benefits. [cough, cough]

Oh well, I was looking at:

https://www.odesk.com/w/odesk_story

It sounded interesting until I did more research and found out many of the so-called "freelance jobs" available on that site pay between $0.60 and $2.00 an hour.

Yup, $0.60 an hour. Awesome. Where do I sign up?

Life just keeps getting better and better.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:46 AM

2,531 posts, read 1,690,323 times
Quote:

Old 02-19-2012, 11:25 AM

56 posts, read 79,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
There are a lot of people who are qualified for jobs that are out there. They just don't want to work for the wages that are being offered. That's not to say there are not shortages of qualified people in some occupations, but a lot of these jobs require on the job training. There was a time when employers offered apprenticeship programs for workers. Those days are long and gone. Most of these employers pay so little, they would never want to take the time to train you because they would think you would leave as soon as you got a little experience for a better paying job.
Because that's what happens. That's why if you don't have experience you get paid almost nothing. My first job in IT paid $38k, it was terrible, and I left after a year and got nearly $60k at my next job since I had been trained.

The fact is you get what you're worth, but everything thinks that they deserve to get paid alot of money for a job that requires few/common skills. Most people earn about what they deserve.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:41 PM

2,000 posts, read 2,641,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
I realize you're being sarcastic, but many people actually believe this is the only answer. But like you have mentioned, not everybody can afford to go get additional training. Even if you did, training isn't enough. Most places want training and on the job experience.

Where is one to get this experience if no one will hire you because you have no experience? I guess there are internships, but most people who are out of work need a paycheck now; they don't want to work for free for a year or more with the hopes of getting a paid position making what their parents were making back in 90's.
Training and education is an investment. I don't know many folks who can "afford" medical, dental, business, veterinary, engineering, etc school.

Does it make sense to take out significant student loans for women's studies? Probably not.

I have hefty student loan debt, no doubt about it, but I also am at the point where I make over six figures and I am able to save money as well as paying off the debt.

Now also, federal student loans are by far more "kinder" than private student loans. There are forgiveness programs and decent payment schedules.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:59 PM

5,507 posts, read 5,493,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Training and education is an investment. I don't know many folks who can "afford" medical, dental, business, veterinary, engineering, etc school.

Does it make sense to take out significant student loans for women's studies? Probably not.

I have hefty student loan debt, no doubt about it, but I also am at the point where I make over six figures and I am able to save money as well as paying off the debt.

Now also, federal student loans are by far more "kinder" than private student loans. There are forgiveness programs and decent payment schedules.
The reality theses days is the smart kids who should be in college don't pay very much on average for it. The average student is paying a lot more.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:34 PM

20,337 posts, read 15,614,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
The reality theses days is the smart kids who should be in college don't pay very much on average for it. The average student is paying a lot more.
Wow, we're certainly on the same page here!

Old 02-19-2012, 04:53 PM

56 posts, read 79,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I guess the four people in my immediate family (including one who is an engineer with a Master's Degree and over 25 years experience) didn't get the memo that everyone is hiring and begging for qualified people and get this...employers are willing to pay a decent salary with benefits. [cough, cough]

Oh well, I was looking at:

https://www.odesk.com/w/odesk_story

It sounded interesting until I did more research and found out many of the so-called "freelance jobs" available on that site pay between $0.60 and $2.00 an hour.

Yup, $0.60 an hour. Awesome. Where do I sign up?

Life just keeps getting better and better.

Wow, you found A SINGLE job that pays less than $2 an hour! Incredible! Call CNN!

Seriously, what type of engineering, because according to BLS many types of engineers are running at less than 3% unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment