Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 11:38 AM

97 posts, read 265,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Round here, I know a few young people making ends meet in some of the manufacturing plants like the one I was at. Pays better than crapdonalds, you get your insurance and you can work tons of OT. They are starting at $12/hr with no experience, and they still have trouble finding bodies.

Where and who for and how do I get in?

I'd relocate within the end of the month with the prospects of $12/hour employment opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 11:39 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,556 times
the economy in general is vastly improved from say 2008 but the job market has only improved for some people, for others its just like 2008 or worse.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:40 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
Even if "the economy" has improved, which is questionable given the shoddy metrics used to measure it, the job market is still a disaster. Since none of us can pay our rent or buy food with increased GDP results or larger executive bonuses, the "Recovery" is a sham.

I've run into some friends and relatives that labor under the same misguided impression. "They" are hiring... who is "they?" Most of the time, they don't know - they've just heard that "hiring is increasing" and assume that increases my options. Since most of the job growth has been in poverty-wage jobs in recent years, that really doesn't help me - Wal-mart doesn't hire engineers. Even in the rare cases where an engineering company *is* hiring, it is inevitably in some other field that requires 3-5 years experience performing the exact same job duties with the same software packages and so on. Local candidates only, unemployed need not apply, we'd prefer people under 30, etc. Jobs like that also may as well not exist, unfortunately.

There's no excuse to avoid looking for a job, true, but the odds of getting a job that pays the bills these days is extremely small, particularly if you're "old" or "overqualified" or "wrongly qualified" - in other words, you wasted your life in field of study that has suddenly lost all its work.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:22 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I've run into some friends and relatives that labor under the same misguided impression. "They" are hiring... who is "they?" Most of the time, they don't know - they've just heard that "hiring is increasing" and assume that increases my options.

Yes and that is a point I brought up in a different thread. Who is "they" that are hiring? Then when pressed for more info, there is silence.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:46 PM

833 posts, read 1,714,065 times
unemployment rate means little when those who have acquired jobs are making less than a liveable wage.

If 1,000 jobs leave the US ( AT $16 PER HOUR) and those 1,000 workers get new jobs at $8 per hour, what does the balancing out of the unemployment rate mean ?

NOTHING

Old 05-24-2012, 04:08 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBENEDICT View Post

I'd relocate within the end of the month with the prospects of $12/hour employment opportunity.
They are all over in most major cities. All you gotta do is search the manufacturing classifieds of the job searching sites. Mostly CNC stuff where you watch a bunch of machines, but that's how you start these days. Go in, speak like an adult, and tell em you will take $12/hr. Might have to come down a bit if you have no experience, but you do get your health insurance in most places.

Don't ever relocate without a job offer. I took a train out here and hit 3 different shops, and went with the one that got back to me first. I came when manufacturing was kind of in a mini boom during the 2011 period, and doing particularly better than everything else. Right now, it's starting to slow down, so I would expect job prospects to be a bit weaker.

The best jobs are "apprentice" positions where you get to learn, but they can be quite stressful. I hated it at first cause I sucked, but I stuck with it and got better, which is the hope. You can earn decent money down the road, but there is quite a learning curve. Some get it and some don't. Lot's of stuff to learn if you ever want to make decent money in the biz, and lot's and lot's of stress along the way. Very humbling experience. I'm still seeing quite a bit of demand for skilled workers, cause it takes a lot of time and effort to get good, and many don't stick with it. Putting a gun to my head would have been the easy way out, but I'm glad I stuck with it.

I'd recommend CNC machining these days. Everything is CNC, and if you learn to program or even set up the latest and greatest machines, there is good money in that. Working set up on Swiss machines can easily net $20/hr round here, but it takes a good chunk of time to get to that point. Most won't train until you've had a few years of experience. Programers for those machines go for minimum 60K, and more like 100K with OT. My old foreman hit 110K with 55 hours a week. 30 years experience though. Like I said, many don't stick with it. It's very stressful at times, with demanding customers barking demands at every turn, and if you're not sharp, it makes it that much worse. I kind of worry because the people entering this line of work these days definitely don't have the mental stamina in many cases.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:18 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
unemployment rate means little when those who have acquired jobs are making less than a liveable wage.

If 1,000 jobs leave the US ( AT $16 PER HOUR) and those 1,000 workers get new jobs at $8 per hour, what does the balancing out of the unemployment rate mean ?

NOTHING
It means the persons real value is probably $12 in a good future economy.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:50 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBENEDICT View Post

I would probably go too. It seems too good to be true. The "I just need a body" days are over.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:56 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
I would probably go too. I think he's trolling.
How am I trolling? I'm simply introducing the possibility of another option besides sitting at home and hoping something comes along. It's pretty sad that $12/hr is "too good to be true" these days. Perhaps it's a sign of too many people chasing too few jobs in the same old occupations. Time to revise the career plan I would say.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:04 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,714 times
Everyone says there are jobs like that but they must be only referring to their local area. Over here where I'm at there are no jobs like that and if there were getting in wouldn't be as simple as pushing a button. I look at it as a ladder. When the career people get laid off, they drop to the level where the minimum wage type people were, and the minimum wage type people get buried in the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment