Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 12:46 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetails View Post
So apparently manufacturing jobs are back in many hard
hit regions. Low skilled people are getting hired almost instantly
from what I hear. Does this mean the unemployed no longer
have a excuse to not have a job. Does it look bad on their part
that plants are hiring while they collect unemployment checks. Let's
discuss.
Not everyone is physically able to do manufacturing jobs ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 01:36 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Some years ago I interviewed twice for the CIA. At both interviews they asked me the exact same thing. I responded immediately that I get along well with females and minorities in which I do. I never got the job and was well qualified. The only thought I had about it is that I got the feeling the interviewers may have thought (the first interview) was I may have been a minority before they even laid eyes on me.
And again I still say the questions of that nature are out of line.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:51 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I agree that he is doing the right thing. However, I don't think that a single experience is enough to conclude that companies have been told to hire (only) minorities.
They can get tax credits for it. Have you ever applied for a job and had some 'voluntary' form that asks your race, gender, disabilities, veteran status, whether you've been on welfare, etc.? When businesses use those forms for job applicants, they're whoring themselves out for those tax credits. Look around at DMV workers, TSA workers and postal workers these days - are most of them not minorities? Strange, huh?

Old 02-17-2012, 01:53 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetails View Post
So apparently manufacturing jobs are back in many hard
hit regions. Low skilled people are getting hired almost instantly
from what I hear. Does this mean the unemployed no longer
have a excuse to not have a job. Does it look bad on their part
that plants are hiring while they collect unemployment checks. Let's
discuss.
From what you hear? Can you be more specific?

What manufacturing jobs are back? In what states? What are the names of the companies?

Because you kind of look like a troll. You have been on this board since May 2011 only have a handful of posts, you start a thread to "stir the pot" and then don't come back to comment.

Unless you don't want to appear "troll like" when you start a thread like this you should provide concrete information.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:14 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,473 times
I saw a GOP comment today stating the reasons behind voting to drop the number of weeks a person can receive benefits...

"People are more inclined to look for work once the government check stops coming in."

Old 02-17-2012, 02:37 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

What manufacturing jobs are back? In what states? What are the names of the companies?

Because you kind of look like a troll. You have been on this board since May 2011 only have a handful of posts, you start a thread to "stir the pot" and then don't come back to comment.

Unless you don't want to appear "troll like" when you start a thread like this you should provide concrete information.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:24 PM

162 posts, read 420,999 times
I am no troll as I visit this board regularly for information. And all you have
to do is listen to what people in your neighborhood say about things. 90 percent of them will say things improved. You even have people working at banks now who believe this. And if you live in the Chicago region, folks are saying the FORD plant there is hiring people at crazy rates. I hear they will hire you if you have no skill whatsoever that's supposedly how easy it's gotten
to get a job in some areas of the country.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:30 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
"What manufacturing jobs are back? In what states? What are the names of the companies?"

One example would be Carlisle Tire, adding several hundred jobs in Jackson, Tn..insourcing tires made in China until now.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:02 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:

I've read articles recently. Caterpillar building a plant in GA.

Desperately seeking Americans for manufacturing jobs - Feb. 16, 2012

Old 02-17-2012, 04:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:

Intel is building a $5 billion manufacturing plant in Arizona. We still dominate in hightech manufacturing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment