Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 06:39 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,384 times

Advertisements

I think there always needs to be a bit of a balance with some practicality mixed in.

If we all truly just did what we loved to do, there wouldn't be any plumbers, garbage men, ditch diggers, etc. There would also be very few construction workers, car mechanics, factory workers, farmers, cattle ranchers, etc. Society wouldn't work.

But I will say that you should do something that you're at least relatively happy with doing since you do spend most of your life working. If you hate it and feel sick on Sunday nights because you have to go to the office...it probably isn't worth it. At my last job, I realized that I should leave when I realized that going to work was no longer fun. I just didn't look forward to it anymore.

And now I do look forward to going to work every day and on weekends and holidays I'm actually slightly sad that I'm not going into the office...yeah, I'm a little sick I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 08:01 AM

59 posts, read 199,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman77 View Post
Or at least one you can tolerate. The trick is trying to find things outside your work life that fulfill you. Having a job thats a complete drag AND having no hobbies/interests outside work will have you pondering the purpose of your life very quickly.
That's definitely the worst case scenario. I think too many people hate their jobs AND have no hobbies outside work except watching Netflix. Lives of quiet desperation indeed...

Old 04-21-2015, 08:12 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPatton View Post
That's definitely the worst case scenario. I think too many people hate their jobs AND have no hobbies outside work except watching Netflix. Lives of quiet desperation indeed...
Agreed. I know lots of people who seem to just suffer without any constructive outlets at all. Talking on this forum at least passes time and gives some socialization to us throughout the day.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:15 AM

27 posts, read 25,829 times
I hate my job, but because my salary is 120k. I pushed myself everyday because I got bills to pay. I actually love my career, but my job (culture, co-workers) are not good.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:18 AM

78 posts, read 108,868 times
Quote:
If we all truly just did what we loved to do, there wouldn't be any plumbers, garbage men, ditch diggers, etc. There would also be very few construction workers, car mechanics, factory workers, farmers, cattle ranchers, etc. Society wouldn't work.
That is definitely not true. There are tons of people who LOVE doing those jobs. They would rather do that than sit at a desk, staring at a computer all day.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:25 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Working off and on in the same, two different jobs over the past, several years has been mind numbing.
They should be a means to an end, but they eventually turn into traps if you stay with them for too long.
But at the same time, they might also be that "only paddle" you have.
Rise up, get angry, leave, and now you're drowning in the proverbial creek you've only been barely rowing through.

That said, I've been wanting to get into helicopter flight as a career for quote some time.
But never have I gotten the most resistance against something that wasn't this.
Whether it's endless warnings about the costs of the training, or how long it takes one to get a decently paying gig, everyone is always up there to shoot away their wisdom against getting into it.
So now here I am at this weird cross roads.
Worried about those who will judge me for not pursuing the dream.
And then the countless others who will judge me for "blowing money" in the pursuit.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:42 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,662 times
As I said before the people I really envy are those who are doing what they love and are making good money or at least an amount of money they are happy with. Do they have some bad days? Yes of course but overall there is genuine joy for what they are doing. For me, in my current situation I unfortunately fall under the category of "just to pay the bills"-but it is alrite, I am happy enough to be employed.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:59 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPatton View Post
I have worked a lot of jobs where the co-workers basically lived there. All their friends and even significant other came from the job. There was one guy who would hang out 7-8 hours after his shift ended. Me on the other hand can't wait to clock out for the day. There was a period of time where I had very few hobbies or outside interests. I would basically just sit around my apartment in a depressive slump downing beer after beer until it was time to go to work again. The last couple of years I have picked up numerous activities, in fact so many that I don't have time for all of them.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:01 AM

59 posts, read 199,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc06 View Post
I hate my job, but because my salary is 120k. I pushed myself everyday because I got bills to pay. I actually love my career, but my job (culture, co-workers) are not good.
That can't be good for your health right? I mean it is a ton of money but if your job culture and co-workers are not good to the point where it's affecting you health wise, maybe it's time to search for another job for better culture and co-workers?

Old 11-03-2015, 04:27 PM

780 posts, read 678,490 times
I don't love my job, but I don't hate it. For me, it's a set of tasks to do, with perks here and there to get paid and then go home. As the end of it all, I money to pay my bills and then some. Win-win for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment