Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 04:44 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times

Advertisements

I love making love and eating pizza (separately) and being with my dogs and looking at art, but if I had to do it for 40+ hours a week at a specific schedule or else become homeless and have no food, I'd learn not to love it really fast.
Totally depends on what you love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 10:25 AM

59 posts, read 199,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I love making love and eating pizza (separately) and being with my dogs and looking at art, but if I had to do it for 40+ hours a week at a specific schedule or else become homeless and have no food, I'd learn not to love it really fast.
Totally depends on what you love.
The article I linked to talks about that line of thinking and the way to think about that is how can you add value doing what you love? Maybe you can teach others how to make love or start a dog care business?

Old 04-16-2012, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,711 times
Awesome article. I think it's all about doing what you love even if it means making less money. Anybody can make money but I think it's the rare person who has the time to do what he loves instead of feeling too tired after work to do it.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:00 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,975,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPatton View Post
Nice! Thanks for the info and encouragement. It's so cool to see you helping your son instead of other parents who pressure their children to be "safe"
This! Parents please do not do this to your children, its taken me a long time to admit the deep rooted resentment I've had toward my parents for doing that and I doubt the resentment will ever fully go away.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:10 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times
Lucked out. Love my job, it pays my bills and my grad school tuition. Win, win, win.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:13 PM

102 posts, read 187,877 times
I do love the stability of my job, the benefits, but can not stand the work, or the environment. my dream would be to open an art gallery, or work with animals somehow. I am considering relocating someday to do this (as there is no way I could afford this city doing something I actually love!). It's scary though. But I know I can not live my life without ever trying. And I think now is the best time for me to do it. But then comes that fear again. Since you are unemployed now, and have some savings, I'd say go for it. The hardest part for me would be leaving my job to take a big risk. But I think it's worth it, to at least try. Good luck to you!

Old 04-17-2012, 11:50 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
People talk as if there are jobs they would love if only they could work for less money. Are there jobs? I mean, if you want to, say, work with animals (my own thought) I know that vet techs need two years of college at least and get paid peanuts. Kennel help, even less, no certification. But I don't know that those jobs are even open, even if someone is willing to work for short money.
As one friend told me, there's no guarantee that a low-paying job won't have a lot of the same problems of other jobs, plus it's low pay.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:03 AM

102 posts, read 187,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
People talk as if there are jobs they would love if only they could work for less money. Are there jobs? I mean, if you want to, say, work with animals (my own thought) I know that vet techs need two years of college at least and get paid peanuts. Kennel help, even less, no certification. But I don't know that those jobs are even open, even if someone is willing to work for short money.
As one friend told me, there's no guarantee that a low-paying job won't have a lot of the same problems of other jobs, plus it's low pay.
this is true, and i think why a lot of people still haven't "taken that leap". but i think when people say they want to "take a risk" and try something they love, maybe they mean start their own business? for instance, when i say i'd want to work with animals, i don't mean vet tech or kennel worker, i mean opening my own doggie daycare facility or starting my own dog walking company or pet sitting business. it's true there is no guarantee about any of this. whether things will work out the way you want them, or if you will even be able to afford to have the lifestyle you have working a ****ty job that DOES pay well. I guess that's when you just have to really decide what is more important - the work you are doing, or affording a certain lifestyle/city, etc.

eh who knows. it hurts my brain thinking about this stuff all the time!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:36 AM

398 posts, read 698,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdcgirl View Post
I guess that's when you just have to really decide what is more important - the work you are doing, or affording a certain lifestyle/city, etc.
Yeah, I think it matters what you want most out of your work/life -- does it bother you most to have a boss telling you how to do your job all the time? Do you feel that to be happy you absolutely must make a certain amount of $? Is it do or die, the working with animals thing? Or do you just like taking care of others, ie. maybe getting involved in human home-care/hospice? Lots to consider, which I know makes this really hard to do! I'm in that place myself now.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:53 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPatton View Post
My friend sent me this famous Stanford graduation speech by Jobs and it just added to my admiration of him.

Text of Steve Jobs' Commencement address (2005)

It got me thinking so I googled how to find what you love to do and found this

How to Find What You Love to Do » The Definitive Self Improvement Blog - BrianKim.net

I now have some pretty exciting ideas to pursue but I'm wondering if it's worth it. My previous job I hated so much I literally got sick Sunday afternoon because I knew I had to go to work the following day. I'm unemployed now but I have lots of savings and unemployment insurance to fall back on so this might be a good time to pursue some of those ideas.

We spend half our adult life working so doesn't it make sense to do something you enjoy, even if you don't make that much? I'm a pretty frugal guy so I can make do.

I guess what I'm asking is do you or anybody you know do what you love to do? Would love to hear some inspiring stories instead of people who hate their jobs but go to them anyway just to pay the bills
Yes. Great.

But what happens when what you love to do doesn't offer any stability of a regular job, pay, or financial solvency for retirement.

If you love art (visual, music, etc) and you decide to switch to that, you will be eons behind those that are talented at it and have spent their whole lives doing it.

If you're a single man, you may be able to scrape by, but will you be able to find a wife, have a family, etc.

There's a big difference between having a passion for designing building and having a passion for playing jazz saxaphone.

I've seen Jobs' speech about 229 times now, and while I agree with the general message, it has to be taken with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment