Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:01 AM

59 posts, read 199,428 times

Advertisements

My friend sent me this famous Stanford graduation speech by Jobs and it just added to my admiration of him.

Text of Steve Jobs' Commencement address (2005)

It got me thinking so I googled how to find what you love to do and found this

How to Find What You Love to Do » The Definitive Self Improvement Blog - BrianKim.net

I now have some pretty exciting ideas to pursue but I'm wondering if it's worth it. My previous job I hated so much I literally got sick Sunday afternoon because I knew I had to go to work the following day. I'm unemployed now but I have lots of savings and unemployment insurance to fall back on so this might be a good time to pursue some of those ideas.

We spend half our adult life working so doesn't it make sense to do something you enjoy, even if you don't make that much? I'm a pretty frugal guy so I can make do.

I guess what I'm asking is do you or anybody you know do what you love to do? Would love to hear some inspiring stories instead of people who hate their jobs but go to them anyway just to pay the bills
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 11:24 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPatton View Post
I now have some pretty exciting ideas to pursue but I'm wondering if it's worth it. My previous job I hated so much I literally got sick Sunday afternoon because I knew I had to go to work the following day. I'm unemployed now but I have lots of savings and unemployment insurance to fall back on so this might be a good time to pursue some of those ideas.
It's an excellent time to pursue your ideas. There might be resources available for you via your state. My state has careerlinks. It provides unemployed people with funding for education or starting a business. Maybe there is something like that in your state. Also look into nonprofits and government agencies that provide information and support for starting a small business. There are resources and finding out there.

Quote:
I guess what I'm asking is do you or anybody you know do what you love to do? Would love to hear some inspiring stories instead of people who hate their jobs but go to them anyway just to pay the bills
We are currently helping our son strike out into an unconventional career that is truly something he enjoys. We funded his move to a different state a few months ago. We have no idea where this will lead but we firmly believed that he should try it when he's young so he never has regrets. There were other personal factors that made it an attractive choice. I can't provide more details because it's a small industry. All I can say is that he is having a blast!

Old 02-18-2012, 01:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
I love my current job that I have had the last three years. It's challenging, and long hours at times since I became an exempt manager, but there is a mix of managing a staff, technical/analytical work, consulting with other departments, some customer contact, and a waterfront office. I love being busy, and problem-solving. I think most people unhappy with their jobs are bored, have little to show for their hard work, and feel unappreciated. Unfortunately though, it's not a good time for people to be picky about where they work, maybe in a few years the economy will improve and more people can find something they are good at that's also fun for them.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:24 PM

475 posts, read 1,370,689 times
I think you should take some time and seriously review you're own ideas as to how it will be "what you love" and earn you a living. These speeches are sometimes great motivators but their impact is usually because of the person speaking, a runaway success in all definitions. However, you never hear from passionate failures right? I think a bit of exploration is necessary for anyone in transition but don't get bogged down into it, the time will pass quickly. Set a time period, take some of those interest tests and see how it goes.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:27 PM

60 posts, read 166,555 times
Quote:
My previous job I hated so much I literally got sick Sunday afternoon because I knew I had to go to work the following day. I'm unemployed now but I have lots of savings and unemployment insurance to fall back on so this might be a good time to pursue some of those ideas.

You sound like me, except that I was sick pretty much 24x7. Being unemployed doesn't feel like punishment but knowing that my money won't last forever and that eventually I might be forced to take ANY job does.

Doing "what you love to do" seems like a logical course of action, the problem is when those jobs are not within your reach because nobody wants to hire you. But if you can find a way to self-employ doing what you love to do, then great.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peet111 View Post
I think you should take some time and seriously review you're own ideas as to how it will be "what you love" and earn you a living. These speeches are sometimes great motivators but their impact is usually because of the person speaking, a runaway success in all definitions. However, you never hear from passionate failures right? I think a bit of exploration is necessary for anyone in transition but don't get bogged down into it, the time will pass quickly. Set a time period, take some of those interest tests and see how it goes.
Since he is on unemployment, there is no harm in researching the possibility of pursuing something else. This is the perfect time.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:54 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
Quote:

I'm one of those who loved my career of 42 years. I'm very left-brained -- analytical, logical, introverted, love of math -- and my job as a division order analyst for oil/gas companies suited my talents/needs perfectly.

In the 1980's, when oil/gas tanked and I was laid off, I started my own business cleaning foreclosed-on-houses. (I went to different realtors and offered to clean their vacant houses for a dirt-cheap rate. Once they saw what a good job I did and how hard/long I worked, I had more work than I could handle and was able to raise my rates accordingly.) Once again, that job suited my talents/needs and, as hard and dirty as the work was, I loved it. The routine and the solitude were perfect for me. When oil/gas jobs opened up again a couple of years later, I almost stayed with the house-cleaning -- but, in the end, I went back to analysis work (which I loved equally as much) because of the benefits.

If I'd had a job in a field requiring me to use the right side of my brain a lot -- creativity and being extroverted -- I'd have been miserable. I wouldnt have stayed with it for all those years, no matter how much I needed the money. Life is too short -- and, if you're miserable 40+ hours a week, your life will probably be much shorter.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:26 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,505 times
My job is there to pay the bills and finance what I love to do.

I make a decent living and I like most of the people I work with, but my job is still just a means to an end to me. Nothing more, nothing less.

When the clock hits 5, work is the last thing on my mind.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:24 AM

56 posts, read 163,102 times
I do love what I do. I'm an IT Business Analyst. I get to talk to smart people about their business needs, and then work with smart computer people. It's honestly very easy for me (you need a particular personality to pull it off), and it pays very well. I couldn't be happier at any other job.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:03 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,686,739 times
i know how you feel.. i feel like i will loose my identity and what i want to do in this corporate job but i have pay the bills... i feel like i have been chasing who i want to be for as long as i've been alive... and who i really am lays dormant because there is always some responsibility in the way of what i really want to do. first it was 12 years of school, then college, now this job thing...and once again i am trapped doing what i dont want to do but have to do...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment